Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HBO Max DC Content Thread

• 09-10-2020 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/green-lantern-series-hbo-max-1234798860/
    The show will depict the adventures of a multitude of Lanterns, including Guy Gardner, Jessica Cruz, Simon Baz and Alan Scott — Earth’s first Green Lantern, who, true to the comics, is a gay man — and many more. The series will also include fan favorites such as Sinestro and Kilowog, and will also introduce new heroes to the ranks of the Green Lantern Corps.

I didn't think they'd be able to use Hal anyway. Stewart maybe but seems like they're going with a show where they can be quite loose with the direction and themes they can use. Surprised Guggenheim is involved, not sure how I feel about that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I was wondering why they don't use Hal. As far as I know, there are no set plans for a film. And knowing DC these days, this series would be finished long before a film would be released.
    And not like they don't have tv and film versions of Flash and Superman as well as other characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Leto has joined the reshoots for Justice League:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/jared-leto-to-play-joker-in-zack-snyders-justice-league-exclusive

I assume it'll be for flashbacks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Leto has joined the reshoots for Justice League:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/jared-leto-to-play-joker-in-zack-snyders-justice-league-exclusive

I assume it'll be for flashbacks.

Might get to see what happened to Batflecks Robin maybe.

I hope it's good stuff, it'd be a great end to the story of his troubles, but I've not liked anything Snyder's done for DC since MoS. SO I guess I'll wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Green Lantern: HBO Max Series Promises Film-like Production Values

The HBO MAx Green Lantern series will be written like a television show but produced like a movie, according to producer Marc Guggenheim.
    When the Green Lantern television series debuts on HBO Max, it will have the production values of a feature film according to producer Marc Guggenheim.

During the SAM@Home event, Guggenheim briefly discussed the series during a live stream on YouTube. "I happen to believe -- and this is not a universally held opinion -- that you can't do a ten-hour show or an eight-episode show, like an 8-hour movie," he explained "I don't think that works. You've got to look at it with a different tempo than you would have in a two-hour movie. That being said, certainly the show for HBO Max that we're all working on, we are approaching it with the production ambitions of a movie. So we're writing it like a TV show but we're hoping to produce it like a film.".........

https://www.cbr.com/green-lantern-hbo-max-film-production-values/

Hopefully Guggenheim understands the difference between a CW tv show and a prestige tv show which is what this should be.

I liked the CW shows at their peak but if you've seen one show on CW, even outside of the Arrowverse, then you've seen them all.

I mean what I'm trying to say is that movie style visuals should be given here so it goes without saying.

• Advertisement

Terence Winter Exits ‘The Batman’ HBO Max TV Series
    Terence Winter has stepped down as writer, executive producer and showrunner of HBO Max’s upcoming Batman drama series over creative differences, Deadline has confirmed.

The streamer this past summer gave a series commitment to the project, a companion to Warner Bros. movie franchise from The Batman filmmaker Matt Reeves, The Batman producer Dylan Clark and Warner Bros Television.

The series, set in the world Reeves is creating for The Batman feature, is designed to build upon the film’s examination of the anatomy of corruption in Gotham City, launching a new Batman universe across multiple platforms. Focused on the Gotham police department, the series will extend the world established in the movie and further explore the myriad complex characters of Gotham.

Reeves in August said that the series is a prequel to his Batman Year Two movie, with the show set in Batman Year One when a “masked vigilante…starts to unsettle the city”. The series will zero in on the city’s corruption that “goes back many years” and is told from the POV of a crooked cop, Reeves said in August.

https://deadline.com/2020/11/terence-winter-exits-the-batman-hbo-max-tv-series-1234617022/

Damn....that has me worried now. If Berlanti or Guggenheim end up involved I'll be fearing the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

"Reeves in August said that the series is a prequel to his Batman Year Two movie, with the show set in Batman Year One when a “masked vigilante…starts to unsettle the city”. The series will zero in on the city’s corruption that “goes back many years” and is told from the POV of a crooked cop, Reeves said in August."

Hold on, what? The Batman is based on, Batman Year 2? that can´t be right...

DMZ

DMZ Adaptation, Based on DC Comics, Snags Limited-Series Order at HBO Max
    Civil war will officially be waged at HBO Max: The streamer has handed a limited-series order to DMZ, an adaptation of the DC comic book series by Brian Wood and Riccardo Burchielli.

Initially ordered to pilot in October 2019, the four-part DMZ series is set during a second American civil war that leaves Manhattan a demilitarized zone (DMZ), destroyed and isolated from the rest of the world. Rosario Dawson (Marvel’s Luke Cage) stars as fearless and fierce medic Alma Ortega, who sets out on a harrowing journey to find the son she lost at the war’s onset. Meanwhile, Parco Delgado (Star‘s Benjamin Bratt), the popular and deadly leader of a powerful gang in the DMZ, wants to rule this new world — and will stop at nothing to secure that outcome.

Throughout the series, “Alma must contend with the gangs, militias, demagogues and warlords that control this lawless no man’s land,” the logline reads. “In doing so, she becomes the unlikely source of what everyone here has lost: hope.”

Roberto Patino (Westworld, Sons of Anarchy) will serve as showrunner and executive-produce with Ava DuVernay (When They See Us); DuVernay also directed the pilot episode. The cast also includes Hoon Lee (Banshee), Freddy Miyares (When They See Us) and Jordan Preston Carter (The Haves and the Have Nots).

“I couldn’t be more thrilled to bring this epic to the screen with my boundary-pushing partners at WBTV and HBO Max, a sublime cast led by Rosario and Benjamin, and my partner and friend, the inimitable and ever-inspiring Ava DuVernay,” Patino said in a statement. “DMZ offers up an explosive playground which, more than anything else, exalts the resilience of community and the human spirit. I can’t wait to welcome the die-hard fans of the comic books and new viewers alike to this intoxicating, haunting and inspiring world.”

https://tvline.com/2020/11/19/dmz-series-order-hbo-max-dc-comics-adaptation/

• Advertisement

HBO Max plan to make DC series based in other Countries for International markets when they expand worldwide next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Do.. do they have an Irish Character? Is it going to be cringe almighty?

Hold on.. Black Canary is Irish?
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Irish

Well alright then :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

HBO Max plan to make DC series based in other Countries for International markets when they expand worldwide next year.

Well a hero set in London seems like a certainty anyway; it's the last Hollywood producers "foreign locale" of choice alongside Paris.. Hmmm where else... guess it depends on what markets are worth placating.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well as long as their research on Ireland improves if a previous post I made is anything to go by. The issue is from 2012.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    I posted this before. Not panels, but page, just because of their ignorance of where they were set
    https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11111/111114806/3296120-2196032824-26820.jpg

Superman lands in an oil field in Ireland (which is in Europe, in case you didn't know). He then proceeds to blow up the oil field while trying to defeat the bad guy. And this explains why we no longer have oil fields, I presume

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well a hero set in London seems like a certainty anyway; it's the last Hollywood producers "foreign locale" of choice alongside Paris.. Hmmm where else... guess it depends on what markets are worth placating.

It looks like they are going to follow the Netflix pattern of making shows in there big markets to keep the local money rolling in and not rely on US shows alone.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Well as long as their research on Ireland improves if a previous post I made is anything to go by. The issue is from 2012.

The big two's portrayal of Ireland/ the Irish is very scattershot. It depends who's writing at the time. While insulting depending on how you look at it, Cassidy from Preacher is at least phonetically accurate, and they bothered to do historical research with his backstory.

I'd like to say it's gotten better recently, but actually it's only gotten rarer. The X-Men are going through a big renaissance right now and you only really see Black Tom out of the entire Cassidy (Cassidy is apparently the only name they're aware of) family, and he's barely portrayed as Irish as he's insane from being part of an island's body (long story don't worry about it).

Never forget the first characters to ever call Wolverine Logan were Irish Leprechauns :D

Joe Barton Joins HBO Max’s TV Series As Showrunner Following Terence Winter Departure
    Giri/Haji creator Joe Barton is heading to Gotham to take over showrunning duties on HBO Max’s upcoming The Batman TV series.

The British writer has joined the series as showrunner and exec producer following the departure of Terence Winter in November.

It was understood that the Boardwalk Empire creator left the series, which is a companion to Matt Reeves Batman feature film, over creative differences.

Barton is best known for creating Tokyo and London-set crime drama Giri/Haji for Netflix and the BBC. He also wrote on AMC and Channel 4 sci-fi drama Humans and Netflix and BBC epic drama Troy: Fall of a City. Other projects include Sky thriller Extinction and an adaptation of Sally Green’s Half Bad with Andy Serkis for Netflix.....

https://deadline.com/2021/01/joe-barton-hbo-max-the-batman-tv-series-following-terence-winter-departure-1234661907/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Online rumors are saying Batman The Animated Series is to be revived with a new series for it's 30th anniversary next year.
    With the recent migration over to HBO Max, as well as a revival with a new comic series, Batman: The Animated Series has been making quite the resurgence. According to Kevin Smith, this continuation of the beloved animated show might carry on with the possibility of a new season being in the works for release on HBO Max.

In last Saturday’s episode of the podcast Fatman Beyond, co-hosts Kevin Smith and Marc Bernardin talked briefly about the rumor regarding a new season of B:TAS, with Smith playing coy about its validity.

https://theculturednerd.org/2021/01/rumor-possible-revival-of-batman-the-animated-series-for-hbo-max/

Really enjoyed the new version of Justice League.

Very glad it wasn't done to the original plan, I think I would have been all out on DC if the plan of having it as 2 films, the first ending with a fight against Superman, had of happened.

That's just done to death if you're into DCU stuff. I just need to see Supes beating up some bad guys :)

I'd actually be fine if this was it now for Snyder and DC. I'm so glad the guy got closure with a film that I'd but on par with Endgame bar the latter having one of the best scenes of the whole genre.

But having read Snyder's plans for sequels, I think it's going to be too far down the rabbit hole. For Superman in particular I just don't want to see that story come to fruition.

However I wouldn't say no to a Leto/Affleck showpiece on HBO Max because they both just seem to *get* the dynamic between the characters. Ideally it would be a different timeline to the Knightmare one but I'd even watch that.

• Advertisement

I'd actually be fine if this was it now for Snyder and DC. I'm so glad the guy got closure with a film that I'd but on par with Endgame bar the latter having one of the best scenes of the whole genre.

But having read Snyder's plans for sequels, I think it's going to be too far down the rabbit hole. For Superman in particular I just don't want to see that story come to fruition.

However I wouldn't say no to a Leto/Affleck showpiece on HBO Max because they both just seem to *get* the dynamic between the characters. Ideally it would be a different timeline to the Knightmare one but I'd even watch that.

Yeah I'm glad Fisher and Snyder got their happy ending and I'm glad we finally have something watchable for the League. But I don't think going further down the Snyder rabbit hole would be a great thing, people are forgetting how we got here in the first place :D

Advertisement