Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Put on Wage Subsidy Scheme - Will this affect mortgage application?

• 21-05-2020 7:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi All,

Employer has notified they have gotten the COVID-19 wage subsidy scheme last month.

My wages haven't changed but was hoping to apply for a mortgage in the next 3 months and was wondering if this would affect my mortgage application/amount in any way?... if anyone knows?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coughdrops

Banks are being more cautious and some are not allowing anyone receiving any of the Covid payments to drawdown. I don't know if they will stop people applying (time between applying and actual drawdown is so long, by then chances are Covid subsidy will be finished), but they are all over it at the moment.

In our case, we can't drawdown now, just as we were about to, because I am getting the Covid top-up (still on same take-home wage).
    It's all a bit of a mess at the moment!

I'd suggest chatting to a broker, they should have an idea on which banks are going ahead, as I think some still are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

To claim the subsidy your employer has to declare that they are insolvent. Any bank loaning money, espically a mortgage, to someone working in an insolvent company is not doing it's job properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

Del2005 wrote: »
    To claim the subsidy your employer has to declare that they are insolvent. Any bank loaning money, espically a mortgage, to someone working in an insolvent company is not doing it's job properly.

This is not true. They have to declare a percentage drop in revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Del2005 wrote: »

What? That is totally ill informed.

The wage subsidy is designed to keep people in employment and is open to any business which has suffered a 25% decline in income/orders as a result of the pandemic.

From Government website:

“The Minister pointed to Revenue’s further guidance on the Scheme published yesterday which stated that the declaration by the employer is not a declaration of insolvency and that an employer that has been hit by a significant decline in business but has strong cash reserves will still qualify for the Scheme. Revenue have also said that they will continue to review and update guidelines as appropriate.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Hi All,

Employer has notified they have gotten the COVID-19 wage subsidy scheme last month.

My wages haven't changed but was hoping to apply for a mortgage in the next 3 months and was wondering if this would affect my mortgage application/amount in any way?... if anyone knows?

Theres evrry likelihood the Covid payment will be reduced. I would say that the banks will not give out mortgages in these uncertain times.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Dav010 wrote: »
    What? That is totally ill informed.

The wage subsidy is designed to keep people in employment and is open to any business which has suffered a 25% decline in income/orders as a result of the pandemic.

From Government website:

“The Minister pointed to Revenue’s further guidance on the Scheme published yesterday which stated that the declaration by the employer is not a declaration of insolvency and that an employer that has been hit by a significant decline in business but has strong cash reserves will still qualify for the Scheme. Revenue have also said that they will continue to review and update guidelines as appropriate.”

Still a risk for banks to lend when we don't know what the outcome* of the pandemic shut down will be.

*how big is the recession/depression will be and how long it'll last (not helped by Brexit in a few months)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I am on this also, and will be looking at a mortgage towards the end of the year..
    Whats supposed to happen come June 21st when its meant to end?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 gnr vr fan

Son of a b***h. I have gone sale agreed on a property. My employer is availing of the wage subsidy scheme. I have approval in principle from SDCC. Rebuilding Ireland HomeLoan.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

I was AIP approved with BOI and Ulster Bank. We were both moved to subsidy payment and told we would not be able to move to loan offer until we are off the subsidy payment. They require a month’s payslips showing we are off the payment. If you did get a loan offer pre COVID and now on subsidy seems to be mostly be same if you request funds but that’s a bit more on a case by case basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭anplaya27

Ye wont get it, full stop. Happened to me a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 gnr vr fan

anplaya27 wrote: »
    Ye wont get it, full stop. Happened to me a few days ago.

Hello,

What happened to you a few days ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

It's obvious what's happening on a macro level. Banks don't know what anyone's income is. With the likely hood of future shutdowns due to covid likely half the credit is going to evaporate from the market and prices are going to crash 30% over the next 2-3 years. We're also at the end of an economic cycle and so everything is due for correction. In recessionary times with no credit unless your flush wherever you are is where you are. This looks like one of the greatest recessions in economic history. Corona is going no where and is only 10% established in an affected area of New York. With people unwilling to accept catching it and no sign of accepting it the economy is going to crash and burn over the next few years until it is accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

The employers will take advantage of covid subsidy as long as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭greengrass88

I'm also in the same predicament with the mortgage and wage subsidy issue...I see the wage subsidy is now changing to the employment support scheme, only explanation I could find is: "It will change from an income replacement measure to a payroll subsidy support". Can anyone hazard a guess what this will mean for people on the scheme going forward in terms of payslips and mortgages?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭DubCount

I'm also in the same predicament with the mortgage and wage subsidy issue...I see the wage subsidy is now changing to the employment support scheme, only explanation I could find is: "It will change from an income replacement measure to a payroll subsidy support". Can anyone hazard a guess what this will mean for people on the scheme going forward in terms of payslips and mortgages?

I cant see it making any difference. There may be changes to the level of government subsidy but I don't expect a change in the mechanics of the scheme. If the banks don't want a line called "covid subsidy" on your payslip, its not going to matter whether its TWSS or EWSS. The only route to change things is to have political pressure change the banks policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

DubCount wrote: »
    I cant see it making any difference. There may be changes to the level of government subsidy but I don't expect a change in the mechanics of the scheme. If the banks don't want a line called "covid subsidy" on your payslip, its not going to matter whether its TWSS or EWSS. The only route to change things is to have political pressure change the banks policy.
    So you want the politicians to force the banks to lend money to people who may not have a job to earn wages to pay it back.
    2008 anybody

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Friend of Mine and her boyf have mortgage approved he was on wage subsidy scheme still getting full wage like every other week but employer had to claim it. They went to draw down mortgage to start build and wasnt allowed as he was on the scheme. Told them come back when he is 3 months clear of the payment. She couldnt believe it nor could he. I think its crazy as he was still getting his full wage.

revoke12 wrote: »
    Friend of Mine and her boyf have mortgage approved he was on wage subsidy scheme still getting full wage like every other week but employer had to claim it. They went to draw down mortgage to start build and wasnt allowed as he was on the scheme. Told them come back when he is 3 months clear of the payment. She couldnt believe it nor could he. I think its crazy as he was still getting his full wage.

he was still getting his full wage because the state was paying him the portion of his wages his employer could not afford to pay due to a loss of revenue.
    When the state stops paying their portion of his wages his employer may not be in a position to make up the difference.
    By applying for the payment his employer has admitted he is in financial difficulty regarding the business
    If your friends employment is insecure then the bank is only being prudent in not allowing him to draw down a mortgage

brisan wrote: »
    By applying for the payment his employer has admitted he is in financial difficulty regarding the business

This is absolutely incorrect.

The only requirement to claim wage subsidy is that income/orders have reduced by 30% due to Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Jizique

The only requirement to claim wage subsidy is that income/orders have reduced by 30% due to Covid.

And if income and/or orders are down (at least) 30% the business is facing some challenges

So if your orders/income are down by 30% then the business is not in difficulty .
    Fair enough I must be in the wrong business

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

Cannot understand how people are still surprised by this. So an employer declares a negative impact to their business that results in them being unable to pay wages without government assistance. Would you lend a six figure sum of your money to an employee of such a business?

Reversal wrote: »
    Cannot understand how people are still surprised by this. So an employer declares a negative impact to their business that results in them being unable to pay wages without government assistance. Would you lend a six figure sum of your money to an employee of such a business?

I am baffled as to how people do not get this
    i know its inconvenient but if I though my job was in trouble I would be looking for a safer job and putting the mortgage on hold.
    We criticized the banks for over lending in the run up to the crash and now we are criticizing them for not over lending
    The CB rules are there to protect the Banks , the Borrowers and the taxpayer

Jizique wrote: »
    And if income and/or orders are down (at least) 30% the business is facing some challenges

Very true, but that does not automatically imply they “are in difficulty”. Considering most businesses were closed for almost a quarter of the year, it is no surprise orders/income would be down by a similar percentage.

So if your orders/income are down by 30% then the business is not in difficulty .
    Fair enough I must be in the wrong business

Trading conditions may be difficult as a result of Covid, that is not the same as saying a business is in difficulty. Applying for the wage subsidy was not dependent on capitalisation. It is wrong for you to allege that just because a business is entitled to apply for the wage subsidy, automatically it must be in difficulty and employees should not be allowed credit from banks.

Trading conditions may be difficult as a result of Covid, that is not the same as saying a business is in difficulty. Applying for the wage subsidy was not dependent on capitalisation. It is wrong for you to allege that just because a business is entitled to apply for the wage subsidy, automatically it must be in difficulty and employees should not be allowed credit from banks.
    Well the banks have a different opinion than you do and its "Their " money to lend.
    Every leading expert and even the Government has said that some businesses will not survive.
    If you are applying for TWSS your business is more likely to be one of those than a business that does not need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Down the line some banks surely might have to take a more nuanced view on the subsidy, especially with an extension in some form well into 2021.

For example, today the IT reported how the childcare sector will be given a sector wide exemption to remain on the subsidy. Now when it comes to state funded childcare, it’s a case of they were being funded by Tulsa, Department of Children etc, and are now being funded by Revenue essentially. Moving of deckchairs etc. Quite harsh that this essentially bars you from any loan.

Well the banks have a different opinion than you do and its "Their " money to lend.
    Every leading expert and even the Government has said that some businesses will not survive.
    If you are applying for TWSS your business is more likely to be one of those than a business that does not need it.

The experts are right, some may not survive, you on the other hand are wrong to conclude that any business that applies for the subsidy is in difficulty. There are many employees receiving the wage subsidy who work for businesses who are not in difficulty and though income is down, are at no risk of closing.

The Government were very clear that applying for the wage subsidy did not indicate insolvency or the potential to be so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭DubCount

So you want the politicians to force the banks to lend money to people who may not have a job to earn wages to pay it back.
    2008 anybody

No. I want people who are in employment and still receiving the same net pay as they always did to be allowed draw down a mortgage. Unless you are a civil servant, anyone can work for a company that can run into difficulty and be let go. This does not mean that such a person will not be able to find another job or continue to repay a mortgage. Besides, there is a 10% deposit at minimum, so the bank would need a default and a reduction in the property value by 10% or more to have a problem. This is not 2007 with 100% mortgages and no stress testing of ability to repay.

p.s. I'm not drawing down a mortgage myself, so this only reflects what I believe is fair, not what suits me.

Advertisement