Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

eBook deals!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Yes, I'm getting the same message.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

nesf wrote: »
    Yes, I'm getting the same message.
    Well that's very ****** annoying. I've got gift certificates for the .co.uk site and they've a better selection. Pretty poor of them to let us switch over and then suddenly remove access without warning.

ixoy wrote: »
    Well that's very ****** annoying. I've got gift certificates for the .co.uk site and they've a better selection. Pretty poor of them to let us switch over and then suddenly remove access without warning.

Ditto on the gift certificates. Here's hoping it's a server glitch.

Right I sent them an email enquiring as to the change.

Right I sent them an email enquiring as to the change.
    Appreciate it if you post back with the response! If I'd known in advance I'd have bought up a reading pile to last me for the next couple of years.
    Plus what happens to my pre-order for "Republic of Thieves"...

• Advertisement

Appreciate it if you post back with the response! If I'd known in advance I'd have bought up a reading pile to last me for the next couple of years.
    Plus what happens to my pre-order for "Republic of Thieves"...

Yeah, no bother, they're usually pretty quick getting back to me. Though sometimes by phone which is a tad annoying.

And we're back with the UK offerings. Hopefully was just a server glitch!

Yeah it seems I had been redirected to Amazon.com without realising it by that "Contact Us" link. They've passed on my query to the .co.uk team for them to look into. I should hear something back tomorrow apparently.

Yeah it seems I had been redirected to Amazon.com without realising it by that "Contact Us" link. They've passed on my query to the .co.uk team for them to look into. I should hear something back tomorrow apparently.
    Ah but I don't want them to investigate anymore as it's working again and we don't want that changed :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Heck of a lot of free stuff on tor.com there now. Over 100mb file for kindle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

OwaynOTT wrote: »

Where? I can't see anything.

wyrn wrote: »
    Where? I can't see anything.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/07/download-five-years-of-tordotcom-stories-reg

Have to sign up to their site but its no biggy.

Cheers, I'm as blind as a bat sometimes

I'm extremely unimpressed, it only allows alphanumeric characters for passwords. What kind of bat**** insane webadmin do they have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

TOR is giving away a book containing 151 stories. This was released a while ago and should only be available for another week.

http://io9.com/download-151-science-fiction-and-fantasy-stories-from-t-1011712804

Think I seen that somewhere else ;)

At a rough estimate, based on the Kindle Locations of 53000, I reckon that's it equivalent to a 2800 page book ('Dance of Dragons' was about 19000 and 1000 pages in print) :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Think I seen that somewhere else ;)

Oops. I never managed to click through on the link when you posted it so I didn't realise it was the same thing.

The Black Guard by A.J. Smith is only 99p on Amazon at the moment. Haven't read it yet but it's getting decent reviews.

Brandon Sanderson's "The Way of Kings" is only £2.50 on amazon.co.uk - a bargain. Haven't finished reading it so far (350 pages in) but it'll definitely be worth the price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

This book bundle was linked on the storybundle twitter feed http://www.bookbale.com/ includes Joe Haldeman and Heinlein.

For today (23rd) only, a number of Neil Gaiman's books are just £1.49:

Anansi Boys
    Neverwhere
    Smoke & Mirrors
    Stardust
    American Gods

I'm probably going to buy them all as I've only 72 books on my "To read" pile :D

Brandon Sanderson's "The Way of Kings" is just £1.99 on Amazon. A great buy, especially as book two is out very shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Brandon Sanderson's "The Way of Kings" is just £1.99 on Amazon. A great buy, especially as book two is out very shortly.

$3.27 (same price basically) on amazon.com for anyone who is registered there rather than .co.uk

Raising Steam only €3 in tesco. I know it's not an ebook but that's a great price for a hardback.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

And speaking of $3.27, Kate Atkinson's book "Life after Life" is currently $3.27 on .com. Apparently reduced from $27+ (which I don't believe). I've read a few Kate Atkinson's, and have enjoyed them all. This one is £1.99 on .co.uk, and has also won the Whitbread (which is now called Costa - never knew that).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQIFNGM/ref=oh_d__o00_details_o00__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A free anthology of short stories by authors eligible for the John W. Campell award for Best New Author. It's free for a limited time only and clocks in at over 2000 pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

'A quest for Heros' by Morgan Rice is currently free on Google play for android users.

Saying that i dont know if it is any good but it will pass a few hours if its any way decent.

All of Bradley P. Beaulieu's output are currently just £0.77 a piece on Amazon.co.uk ($1 on the US).
    His series is "The Lays of Anuskaya" and I've read the first two of the trilogy. I was very close to reading the third so it's great timing. It's a refreshing fantasy fusing Russian culture with elements of Arabian elementals and is quite unique. Absolute bargain at this price - at the very least people owe themselves a look at the first book.

• Advertisement

All of Bradley P. Beaulieu's output are currently just £0.77 a piece on Amazon.co.uk ($1 on the US).
    His series is "The Lays of Anuskaya" and I've read the first two of the trilogy. I was very close to reading the third so it's great timing. It's a refreshing fantasy fusing Russian culture with elements of Arabian elementals and is quite unique. Absolute bargain at this price - at the very least people owe themselves a look at the first book.
    Or $1.28 if you have a US account. Any book/series of his that you'd recommend? I haven't heard of them before.

Advertisement