Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

R.I.P. Steve Jobs 1955-2011

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The technological world lost one of it's most important people. I'm not a fan of Apple but I wouldn't have a career without this guy.

tumblr_lqhr46trpa1qz9917o1_500.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

293392_10100222810457906_5506439_48762875_1273185815_n.jpg

Sums up our world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

I wonder was the ceo white?no photo with the first story........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Sums up our world.

Sorry to quote a pic, but the difference hear is the actual crime, one is considered armed robbery (regardless of whether he had a weapon or not he declared he did) the other is fraud, both crimes have very different sentences regardless of the amount. I don't agree with it and i understand where the homeless man came from and the judge should of taken that into consideration
    but thems the facts!

• Advertisement

crazyderk wrote: »
    (regardless of whether he had a weapon or not he declared he did)
    in fairness the article said he told the girl it was a robbery and there was no mention of a gun.

ah intentz lawyers we is!!
    anyway here' a pic.

my mother was talking to my son about 9/11 and she brought up the cuban missile crisis and how the whole world thought ww3 was about to break out.
    Here's a CIA aerial photo of the missile site
    cubamisslesite.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

http://imgur.com/a/lFhVE

take your pick

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

^^

Any context to go with the above ?

dont think so.

one of the pictures was of a dog with explosives tied to its back.
    the soviets use to starve the dogs and then place food under a tank that was broke so that they would be trained to check under them for food.

they were then used against german tiger tanks in the battle for stalingrad.The russian tanks had a hard time penetrating the armour on the tigers so when the starved dogs,looking for food, got under them they were blown up and took out the tank.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    dont think so.

one of the pictures was of a dog with explosives tied to its back.
    the soviets use to starve the dogs and then place food under a tank that was broke so that they would be trained to check under them for food.

they were then used against german tiger tanks in the battle for stalingrad.The russian tanks had a hard time penetrating the armour on the tigers so when the starved dogs,looking for food, got under them they were blown up and took out the tank.
    Actually what happened was that when the Russians trained the dogs they used Russian tanks. So the dogs didn't associate food with German tanks. It backfired.

• Advertisement

Actually what happened was that when the Russians trained the dogs they used Russian tanks. So the dogs didn't associate food with German tanks. It backfired.

wouldnt surprise me.In the book(about the battle of stalingrad)it was only mentioned in passing as 2 russian conscripts were excecuted for eating one of the dogs that had been trained.I sh1t you not!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

^^^Probably a little inappropriate given the event and timing, but your username worked in nicely there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

NSFW...Holocaust pics. Don't think I've seen them here before.

One of the things that strikes me is how widespread it was for the US troops to force German civilians (including children) near the death camps to view the victims in the camps.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/10/world-war-ii-the-holocaust/100170/

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

NSFW...Holocaust pics. Don't think I've seen them here before.

One of the things that strikes me is how widespread it was for the US troops to force German civilians (including children) near the death camps to view the victims in the camps.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/10/world-war-ii-the-holocaust/100170/

That first picture, or the one of the 14 year old, are the ones that stand out most for me. Its horrific viewing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

s_w07_05043951.jpg

Jesus there are kids & babies amongst the group .

It looks like they are told to face the ground and await execution .

Looks like a kid around 8 is sitting up looking at his mother who has probably just been shot .(center of pic)

I am honestly moved by this photo.

How can mankind do this :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Grimebox banned for a week for trolling, and all posts referring to it and the fake pictures have been deleted.

Do not troll this thread. At all.

mixednuts wrote: »

How can mankind do this :confused:

we are one of the few animals on this planet that kill for the sake of it.

We can send lumps of metal with men inside into space and get them back safely,we can send words thousands of miles in a fraction of a second but scratch underneath we show our true colours a little bit to easy.

here's a **** picture from our own country,irrespective of the rights or wrongs of the situation,it's a harrowing picture

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlePF-q0lArPJWnBTW7E0a-YUzOZCSJtyHEr-NBO1Kjc0cCNqBMx55vHPD0g

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Kersmash wrote: »

Christ almighty, how did only 1 person die in that.

Fantastic thread btw. One of the best ive ever read.

506653907-600x442.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Looks like they caught him alive & executed him, not quite how the press are reporting it.

******Warning very graphic video link-don't look if squeamish !!!*****

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2011/10/gruesome-video-gaddafi-captured-alive-beaten-bloody-and-shot-dead-by-militants/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sky News are actually showing that video and worse. Sad really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

glynf wrote: »
    Looks like they caught him alive & executed him, not quite how the press are reporting it.

******Warning very graphic video link-don't look if squeamish !!!*****

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2011/10/gruesome-video-gaddafi-captured-alive-beaten-bloody-and-shot-dead-by-militants/
    That video doesn't show him being executed. None of them do.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

428720246.jpg?f22064

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Hamilton and Scherzinger split up..... :eek:

Im apoligise for breaking forum rules but in this instance i cant help it .

THE SUN are nothing but a two bit rag pushing -inflated headline whores .

I honestly think they dont care about any of the contents ,victims or perpetrators in the headline , nor do they give a flying fook about anyone ...they just love the eye catching bullshiit headline , and have been peddling shiite for decades .

Only a matter of time before they get caught out like that other rag did NOTW .

rant over ...delete when you want .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Oh how they forget.

gordon_1440858c.jpg

news-graphics-2007-_636539a.jpg

Gaddafi_obama.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Photographer, Monica Szczupider.

178891.PNG

On September 23, 2008, Dorothy, a female chimpanzee in her late 40s, died of congestive heart failure. A maternal and beloved figure, Dorothy had spent eight years at Cameroon’s Sanaga-Yong Chimpanzee Rescue Center, which houses and rehabilitates chimps victimized by habitat loss and the illegal African bushmeat trade.

After a hunter killed her mother, Dorothy was sold as a “mascot” to an amusement park in Cameroon. For the next 25 years she was tethered to the ground by a chain around her neck, taunted, teased, and taught to drink beer and smoke cigarettes for sport.

In May 2000 Dorothy—obese from poor diet and lack of exercise—was rescued and relocated along with ten other primates. As her health improved, her deep kindness surfaced. She mothered an orphaned chimp named Bouboule and became a close friend to many others, including Jacky, the group’s alpha male, and Nama, another amusement-park refugee.

Szczupider, who had been a volunteer at the center, told me: “Her presence, and loss, was palpable, and resonated throughout the group. The management at Sanaga-Yong opted to let Dorothy's chimpanzee family witness her burial, so that perhaps they would understand, in their own capacity, that Dorothy would not return. Some chimps displayed aggression while others barked in frustration. But perhaps the most stunning reaction was a recurring, almost tangible silence. If one knows chimpanzees, then one knows that [they] are not [usually] silent creatures."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Miracle of the Turkey earthquake, 2 week old baby found alive

article-2053142-0E867A3A00000578-941_634x445.jpg

Advertisement