Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

a photo only catches one split second, a specific moment, these people may have been staring at the smoke rising for hours before the photo was taken!

look at how they are sitting, none of them have their backs to the rising smoke, they were simply turned away at that moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

So if you think the people in that photo are arses, think to yourself- did you ever smile at a funeral?

That was exactly the point I was going to make; well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I know this probably sounds horrible but I'm actually looking forward to the photo collage the atlantic has for 9/11 next week. In any case, I found this one to be brilliant. It's a series of photos trying to capture the last 7 days leading up to 9/11.
    The attacks of September 11th, 2001 came as a huge surprise, shocking the world and immediately dominating the news around the world. Ten years later, the reverberations from that shock and the varying reactions to it continue to affect nearly everyone in ways large and small. While most people remember where they were on that day, it can be difficult to recall what else was happening in the days just before. I thought it would be interesting to go through the newswires and find photos of events taking place around the world during the week of September 3 to September 10, 2001. Some of the photos are directly related to the upcoming attacks, or the fallout that resulted, many have nothing at all to do with the attacks, but simply show glimpses of what was happening at that time. Gathered here is a time capsule of images taken during this week of September, one decade ago, before everything changed. This entry is part one of a three-part series on the 10th Anniversary of the 9/11 Attacks.
    And, I think my Itunes did me a favour on this one too the soundtracks I was listening to just made it all seem that bit more well I don't know the word I'm looking for? Emotional seems wrong?

Music Playlist
    Time : Hans Zimmer.
    Our Final Hope : Steve Jablonsky.
    Salvation for a Proud Nation : Immediate.

(The end of No Prisoners, Only Trophies [Steve Jablonsky] was playing when I first clicked on the link and um, Emergence of Empire was either playing at the end of the photos or just slightly afterwards.)

Edit : Part II and Part III are now available. Well worth a look folks not for the faint of heart though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Of all the Images I've ever seen of 911 this one of the North Tower actually made a cold tinge go down my spine.:(

s_a10_39538_10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr2sr91VYP1qz4s6ho1_500.jpg

Another 9/11 picture. Does it need context?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

10 years on and pictures of 9/11 still make my blood boil with anger...

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

PK2008 wrote: »
    10 years on and pictures of 9/11 still make my blood boil with anger...

An instinctive reaction, and even natural arguably, but stopping to think for moment we all should realise that violence only begets one thing - further violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr2sr91VYP1qz4s6ho1_500.jpg

Another 9/11 picture. Does it need context?

Jesus - i hadn't seen that one before - hard to believe that it's 10 years ago - 10 YEARS!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭glenjamin

The first official death of 9/11 and one of the images that stands out most in my head when I think of it.

25JUDGE.LARGE1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

^^was that the priest??

if it was there was a decent radio documentary about him on news talk yesterday.Very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

glenjamin wrote: »
    The first official death of 9/11 and one of the images that stands out most in my head when I think of it.

[/IMG]

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/radio-documentary-fr-mychal-judge-9-11.html

• I still think the best 9/11 documentary was the one by the 2 French brothers who were there as it happened. Did anyone else see it? That priest was in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

I still think the best 9/11 documentary was the one by the 2 French brothers who were there as it happened. Did anyone else see it? That priest was in it.
    Yes they were doing a documentry on a new york city fire house and while on a routine call out they noticed the plane overhead and filmed the impact.it led to them filming an accidental documentry on 9/11.

the documetry makers Jules and Gedeon Naudet
    11ent_Naudet.jpg

IMDB

Their most famous footage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Absolutely shocking:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I had not seen the Hand photo before . It just brings home the pain and sorrow that happened that day . That photo made me sad

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I still think the best 9/11 documentary was the one by the 2 French brothers who were there as it happened. Did anyone else see it? That priest was in it.

They were doing a FDNY documentary with a specific focus on a new probie (probationary firefighter) member of the team. This probationary period lasts 9 months. I remember near the end of the documnetary one of the senior firefighters said. "The probie came hear for nine months to become a man, today in 9 hours he became one."

It's a great 9/11 documentary alright, the best by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Floodric

Aftermath of 9/11

tortureIraq7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

It's gas how people are so sickened by what happened on one day ten years ago but don't seem to give a fook about what happened as a result of it. For every one american that died that day how many people in the Middle East have died?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It's gas how people are so sickened by what happened on one day ten years ago but don't seem to give a fook about what happened as a result of it. For every one american that died that day how many people in the Middle East have died?

Eleventeen billion?

Politics forum >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

990125-thierry-henry-handball.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Yes, because you know what EVERYONE else EVER thinks/thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Worztron

0DLWl.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

gatecrash wrote: »
    Yes, because you know what EVERYONE else EVER thinks/thought.

And it's impossible to think two things at the same time, right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

While some chat is welcome, nay, encouraged, sniping and hatcheting is not.

Politics forum is thataway --->

A return to pictures would be welcome folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFCvuK1BBIhbHS7Bc3xFijBs27YZgS0h_pCf5ARYkV2SWzSECV26cStDar

Doesn't need much explanation other than they tried to save her but they couldn't... Heartbreaking.

DrumSteve wrote: »

Doesn't need much explanation other than they tried to save her but they couldn't... Heartbreaking.

I recall seeing that picture before. What was the story?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

DrumSteve wrote: »

Omayra Sánchez (sometimes spelled Omaira Sanchez) was a 13-year-old victim of the 1985 eruption of the Nevado del Ruiz volcano, which erupted on November 13, 1985, in Armero, Colombia causing massive lahars which killed nearly 25,000. Trapped for three days in water, concrete, and other debris before she died, Omayra captured the attention of the media as volunteer workers told of a girl they were unable to save. Videos of her communicating with workers, smiling and making gestures to video cameras circulated around the media. Her "courage and dignity" touched Frank Fournier and many other relief workers who gathered around her to pray and be with her.
    After 60 hours of struggling, she died. Her death highlighted the failure of officials to respond promptly to the threat of the volcano and also the struggle for volunteer rescue workers to save trapped victims who would otherwise be quickly saved and treated.

Terribly sad. The earthquake resulted in massive lahars. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omayra_S%C3%A1nchez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

There is site/article named Lebanons 911 but i am warning you its extremely graphic and has 6 pages of images taken from Isreal invasion of Lebanon

Warning- Contains graphic images:
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=2823

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

mixednuts wrote: »
    There is site/article named Lebanons 911 but i am warning you its extremely graphic and has 6 pages of images taken from Isreal invasion of Lebanon

Warning- Contains graphic images:
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=2823

My uncle took one of those pics...He showed me some of them just like ones you showed.

Of all the regions I worked in world that maybe the hardest and coldest I have been too...

I always remember a saying an old man said to me from the region when we asked for interview about his family being killed by the Israeli army "There are two certainties in life, death and that war will never end between these two sets of people"

Advertisement