Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin TV360

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭Delta2113

If you want a laugh look up "Animal Emergency" that's on tonight on VM1 at 8PM on your 360 box and they have a picture off Georgie Parker who presented it's namesake from 2008 in Australia.

Fair enough I'm sure all the graphics are automated or whatever but the fact it's a Virgin Irish show tonight you would think it would have been checked and manually amended.

Line of Duty on RTE1 also has this series graphic which is wrong - again manual intervention needed. I could go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Got the new 360 Virgin box and have it connected to TV and Denon AV receiver and noticing the sound is very low.

I have an android box I use for streaming and the settings are same for both and the sound on Android Box is grand. All connected up with HDMI cables However watching recorded program on 360 box last night and had to pump volume up to 60+. Not sure if its specific to certain channels as seems to vary.

Have not gone into any settings yet is there anyone who experiences the same and is there any settings on the box that I need to change re sound or anything else to check?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shamrock 64

Got the new 360 Virgin box and have it connected to TV and Denon AV receiver and noticing the sound is very low.

I have an android box I use for streaming and the settings are same for both and the sound on Android Box is grand. All connected up with HDMI cables However watching recorded program on 360 box last night and had to pump volume up to 60+. Not sure if its specific to certain channels as seems to vary.

Have not gone into any settings yet is there anyone who experiences the same and is there any settings on the box that I need to change re sound or anything else to check?

A few people have said that the sound is lower than the old Horizon Box,you have to raise the volume a bit more,also when using a receiver on the V360 box in Audio Video settings, where Dolby Audio is make sure you select disabled as that's a louder volume than the other two settings and still gives Dolby Surround anyway which virtually all programs are broadcast in anyway.

A few people have said that the sound is lower than the old Horizon Box,you have to raise the volume a bit more,also when using a receiver on the V360 box in Audio Video settings, where Dolby Audio is make sure you select disabled as that's a louder volume than the other two settings and still gives Dolby Surround anyway which virtually all programs are broadcast in anyway.

Have Denon set up as ModeDTSSurround (This mode can be selected when playing sources recorded in DTS.)

Same as for streaming

Other options not sure if these will fix it?

Have Denon set up as ModeDTSSurround (This mode can be selected when playing sources recorded in DTS.)

Same as for streaming

Other options not sure if these will fix it?

Nothing showing in DTS on the V360,or anything digital except a couple of 4k shows.Id Normally leave mine in Dolby Surround which is compatible with most shows.But you can try DTS surround and any THX modes whichever you prefer.They should upconvert stereo to Dolby Surround which is what all drama's are broadcast in.The Dolby Audio setting is very low on the first two settings so I use disabled which is all that's needed and is louder than the first two,it plays everything in Dolby Surround, which is perfect.

• Advertisement

Nothing showing in DTS on the V360,or anything digital except a couple of 4k shows.Id Normally leave mine in Dolby Surround which is compatible with most shows.But you can try DTS surround and any THX modes whichever you prefer.They should upconvert stereo to Dolby Surround which is what all drama's are broadcast in.The Dolby Audio setting is very low on the first two settings so I use disabled which is all that's needed and is louder than the first two,it plays everything in Dolby Surround, which is perfect.

Just looking at options below are Dolby Options

Dolby Atmos
    DolbyPL
    DolbyPLIICinema
    DolbyPLII Music

DirectStereo
    DolbyPrologic

Others are https://manuals.denon.com/avrx3600h/eu/en/DRDZSYyrtgycpw.php

Not sure which to pick

Just looking at options below are Dolby Options

Dolby Atmos
    DolbyPL
    DolbyPLIICinema
    DolbyPLII Music

DirectStereo
    DolbyPrologic

Others are https://manuals.denon.com/avrx3600h/eu/en/DRDZSYyrtgycpw.php

Not sure which to pick

Dolby PL 2 Cinema should do it,and give the most authentic sound.If you don't think that sounds right just leave it in Dolby Pro logic,but Dolby PL 2 Cinema should be perfect,that's what I would use.

Dolby PL 2 Cinema should do it,and give the most authentic sound.If you don't think that sounds right just leave it in Dolby Pro logic,but Dolby PL 2 Cinema should be perfect,that's what I would use.

Watching champions league on network 2 but can't get surround sound working. Sounds seem to be coming from TV.

Not sure if it's amplifier settings but had old virgin box and didn't change anything and was working with that.

Anything need to change on 360 otherwise need to check amplifier settings

Went to box settings and can change Dolby Audio to follow content and sound increased but still no sound from speakers. Tgen change this to Always convert and decrease in sound but still no sound from speakers.

This is watching rte 2

Update

Changed sound setting on receiver to multi channel stereo and sound coming out from speakers now

Watching champions league on network 2 but can't get surround sound working. Sounds seem to be coming from TV.

Not sure if it's amplifier settings but had old virgin box and didn't change anything and was working with that.

Anything need to change on 360 otherwise need to check amplifier settings

Went to box settings and can change Dolby Audio to follow content and sound increased but still no sound from speakers. Tgen change this to Always convert and decrease in sound but still no sound from speakers.

This is watching rte 2

Update

Changed sound setting on receiver to multi channel stereo and sound coming out from speakers now
    The sound on the reciever should be Dolby Pro logic 2 ,or Dolby Pro logic, whichever it supports, otherwise I would imagine multi channel stereo is playing the same sound to each speaker,so voices would be coming from all speakers where they should only come from the centre channel.Also on the V360 in Audio Video settings,set Dolby Audio to disabled,as the other two are for digital content of which there aren't any,and disabled will set to upconvert stereo to Dolby Pro logic which is the correct setting as virtually all programs are broadcast in DPL 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

Getting new 360 box on Monday. Does the box and white superhub have to be wired together or can I put the superhub in another room and wirelessly connect them?

• Advertisement

Marco85 wrote: »
    Getting new 360 box on Monday. Does the box and white superhub have to be wired together or can I put the superhub in another room and wirelessly connect them?

That's just the recommended installation standard. I've my superhub in my bedroom and 360 mini box in another room upstairs and my 360 main box downstairs both via wireless - working great.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

The sound on the reciever should be Dolby Pro logic 2 ,or Dolby Pro logic, whichever it supports, otherwise I would imagine multi channel stereo is playing the same sound to each speaker,so voices would be coming from all speakers where they should only come from the centre channel.Also on the V360 in Audio Video settings,set Dolby Audio to disabled,as the other two are for digital content of which there aren't any,and disabled will set to upconvert stereo to Dolby Pro logic which is the correct setting as virtually all programs are broadcast in DPL 2.

Was having the problem as mentioned,but your advice there has most certainly improved things. Just need to keep working on it.

Should say ,bought a new laptop and TV and installed them the same day,so had lots of low sound problems.

Have 4 boxes and none weired to the (black) hub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

Delta2113 wrote: »
    That's just the recommended installation standard. I've my superhub in my bedroom and 360 mini box in another room upstairs and my 360 main box downstairs both via wireless - working great.

Don't you need to have each 360 box connected via coax to get live TV?

deravarra wrote: »
    Don't you need to have each 360 box connected via coax to get live TV?

Yes for live linear Tv you need a coax connection to VM outlet box.

Perfect that works

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Also on the V360 in Audio Video settings,set Dolby Audio to disabled,as the other two are for digital content of which there aren't any,and disabled will set to upconvert stereo to Dolby Pro logic which is the correct setting as virtually all programs are broadcast in DPL 2.

I tested this suggestion yesterday evening. My TV360 Dolby audio setting was 'Follow content' .The UK/IRL channels were showing locally produced chat shows and documentaries recorded in plain stereo. But Fox HD (VM 126) was showing NCIS and my Dolby AV receiver said it it was getting a Dolby Digital signal.

I put my ear to my centre speaker and could hear dialogue but if I followed your advice and disabled Dolby Audio on the TV360, every channel reverted to L+R stereo and there was nothing coming from the centre speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Do Virgin never broadcast BBC in DD5.1? Only DD2.0? My receiver via the Horizon box certainly flags the HD channels as DD. BBC used to have a mix of 5.1 and 2.0 when I last had a feed off Satellite but that was a few years ago now.

If you disable Dolby Digital audio you need to set your receiver to use Pro Logic or whatever its called on some newer receivers. I think my Denon calls it "Dolby Surrounds". Then the center and surrounds will work.

coylemj wrote: »
    I tested this suggestion yesterday evening. My TV360 Dolby audio setting was 'Follow content' .The UK/IRL channels were showing locally produced chat shows and documentaries recorded in plain stereo. But Fox HD (VM 126) was showing NCIS and my Dolby AV receiver said it it was getting a Dolby Digital signal.

I put my ear to my centre speaker and could hear dialogue but if I followed your advice and disabled Dolby Audio on the TV360, every channel reverted to L+R stereo and there was nothing coming from the centre speaker.

My point exactly,if the reciever shows Dolby digital go to follow content,and you should have surround sound but for most others leave it on disabled as the majority are in upconverted stereo which is Dolby Pro logic 2.When I left mine in follow content I wouldnt get any sound at all so it's disabled for everything or follow content for Dolby digital content.

BigMoose wrote: »
    Do Virgin never broadcast BBC in DD5.1? Only DD2.0? My receiver via the Horizon box certainly flags the HD channels as DD. BBC used to have a mix of 5.1 and 2.0 when I last had a feed off Satellite but that was a few years ago now.

If you disable Dolby Digital audio you need to set your receiver to use Pro Logic or whatever its called on some newer receivers. I think my Denon calls it "Dolby Surrounds". Then the center and surrounds will work.

A few years ago I remember getting Dr Who in Dolby digital 5.1,not sure if it's still the same,the tech is there to broadcast in dd5.1 but I don't think they bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

My parents got a letter today to say Sky Sports won’t be available on their current boxes any more. They have the old digital Hd boxes (not horizon).
    I contacted Virgin as wasn’t sure which of their boxes etc and turns out it’s all of the ones they have (they have 3).

My Dad has early stage dementia and finds learning new tech hard - are the 360 boxes easy to use?
    With the mini boxes can you record on those boxes as well as the main one?

They’ve offered the mini boxes at half price with everything else at full price which seems a fairly bad offer but wanted to find out about the box a bit before I go trying to negotiate any better offer. Not even sure if they’ll do any offers but worth trying.

• Advertisement

If your Dad can work the digital boxes ok then the 360 should be fine.

All your recording is done on the main box and then you can stream your recordings on the mini boxes.

I presume your Dad has Virgin Broadband as you need this for the 360 boxes.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    If your Dad can work the digital boxes ok then the 360 should be fine.

All your recording is done on the main box and then you can stream your recordings on the mini boxes.

I presume your Dad has Virgin Broadband as you need this for the 360 boxes.

Thanks for the reply. He can just about manage the normal box so that’s great to hear it’s not much more complicated. And perfect you can get the recordings on all the boxes. Actually sounds like a great system.

Yes he has virgin broadband as part of the current package.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

sillysocks wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. He can just about manage the normal box so that’s great to hear it’s not much more complicated. And perfect you can get the recordings on all the boxes. Actually sounds like a great system.

Thanks again!

One good thing is the 360 box actually can be controlled by the old D4A remotes. So he may not even need to us ethe new remote for basic stuff.

One good thing is the 360 box actually can be controlled by the old D4A remotes. So he may not even need to us ethe new remote for basic stuff.

Oh that’s great, presume that’s the long remotes for the old style dvr box. He’s well used to that, and wil only use the basic functions so will even be better not to have a remote with loads of options. Thank you!

I'd recommend going with the 360 remote from the start. You don't need to use the voice function if you don't want but long term to me it will cause less hassles.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

Have the 360 box 10 days now,night and day compared to horizon box,faster and more responsive. Few issues all the same,picture drops out fairly regular and screen goes black for couple of seconds and then comes back and today some channels not working and getting "channel failed" error messsge. Anyone having similar issues?

Have the 360 box 10 days now,night and day compared to horizon box,faster and more responsive. Few issues all the same,picture drops out fairly regular and screen goes black for couple of seconds and then comes back and today some channels not working and getting "channel failed" error messsge. Anyone having similar issues?

- Something is not right. I'd give it a few days and if still the same ring up and get a Tech out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,128 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

i don't have the 360 box but I was having similar problems yesterday and today. I don't think it is a box specific issue.

i don't have the 360 box but I was having similar problems yesterday and today. I don't think it is a box specific issue.

Check your cables too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

sillysocks wrote: »

Thanks again!

I would really recommend that you ring the loyalty number 061 272190 and you should get a much better offer than just half price on the extra boxes.

Advertisement