Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Spanish

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I'm sorry, I'm done reading your waffle but I can't let you away with the nonsense about Catalan. You do not understand it. If two natives were having a conversation in it, you wouldn't have the foggiest what they were talking about. A Spaniard with no previous exposure to Catalan would not be able to follow a natural conversation between two natives. Picking up a few words here and there is not mutual intelligibility. Being able to recognise the same or similar words on a page is not mutual intelligibility. I know this, and have stated this on numerous occasions, due to the fact I live and work in Barcelona with Catalans (obviously), Spaniards (obviously) and a whole host of people from other nationalities who speak Spanish and not Catalan. My daughter was born in a Barcelona hospital. I have two sisters in law from Donostia and Tenerife respectively. I am qualified to comment on this matter. You are not, and your continued insistence that you know what you're talking about does a disservice to anyone on the thread thinking of learning Spanish.

Very true - not easy to understand a full blooded conversation in Catalan. If it were spoken in a more standard Spanish accent you'd have some chance but that isn't the case. The same goes for Portuguese, reads ok but very difficult to understand. They fund it relatively easy to understand Spanish as the pronunciation is clearer but not so easy the other way around. Up north around Porto you'll understand a little but down south not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I'm sorry, I'm done reading your waffle but I can't let you away with the nonsense about Catalan.

What is hello in catalan?

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Very true - not easy to understand a full blooded conversation in Catalan. If it were spoken in a more standard Spanish accent you'd have some chance but that isn't the case. The same goes for Portuguese, reads ok but very difficult to understand. They fund it relatively easy to understand Spanish as the pronunciation is clearer but not so easy the other way around. Up north around Porto you'll understand a little but down south not a hope.
    And i definitely wouldn't be able to understand a full bodied conversation in catalan. And i never claimed to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArDrnzD1fU4

I mean i can't understand the above ..but i can pick out some words

I remarked on the fact i could understand SOME.

The spoken portugese is harder than the written. But i have a group of portugese and brazilian friends so they taught me some.

Perhaps we ALL need to be a bit more humble and gracious though.

Besos

:p

Un nuevo tema para discutir las diferencias entre ser v estar? Va a ser que no!
    :(

Umkay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

:(

Umkay.

Era broma - no lo tomes a pecho

• Advertisement

Era broma - no lo tomes a pecho
    Nunca!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

What is hello in catalan?

See the bit above about some of the words being the same in both languages not equating to mutual intelligibility.

What is salad in Catalan? What is tomorrow? What is strawberry? Raspberry? Dog?

Again, you don't know what you're talking about. Googling a few words will not help your case.

See the bit above about some of the words being the same in both languages not equating to mutual intelligibility.

What is salad in Catalan? What is tomorrow? What is strawberry? Raspberry? Dog?

Again, you don't know what you're talking about. Googling a few words will not help your case.
    I think maybe we have a different definition of mutual intelligibility.

I literally mean just being able to get the jist of some things or get some words. That is all.

Obv i am not going to understand it as well as I understand spanish.

Perhaps, but if so that means you don't know or don't understand what mutual intelligibility is.

Perhaps, but if so that means you don't know or don't understand what mutual intelligibility is.
    Genuinely thought it was just two languages with a lot of cognates.

To me MOST European languages have degree of mutual intelligibility.

People TELL me that scots gaelic and irish are mutually intelligible.

• Advertisement

I literally mean just being able to get the jist of some things or get some words. That is all.

Obv i am not going to understand it as well as I understand spanish.

Ok, so you've edited so I'll expand:

You wouldn't get the jist of things as you wouldn't be able to understand a native conversation. Recognising a few words or perhaps even deciphering a few is not "getting the jist" of something.

Mutual intelligibility is when speakers of related languages can clearly understand each other with having previously studied or been exposed to the one that isn't their native language. "Look, 'hello' is 'hola' in both languages so I understand Catalan" is clearly not a valid arguement that they are mutually intelligible, by any definition.

Ok, so you've edited so I'll expand:

You wouldn't get the jist of things as you wouldn't be able to understand a native conversation. Recognising a few words or perhaps even deciphering a few is not "getting the jist" of something.

Mutual intelligibility is when speakers of related languages can clearly understand each other with having previously studied or been exposed to the one that isn't their native language. "Look, 'hello' is 'hola' in both languages so I understand Catalan" is clearly not a valid arguement that they are mutually intelligible, by any definition.
    Would irish and scots gaelic be mutally intelligible?

I think you know I never claimed to fully understand catalan.

Spoken portugese is hard to understand for spanish speakers but they are still considered mutually intelligible by academics.

I mean before i started learning i couldn't understand a word spoken. But i was still TOLD they were mutually intelligible by linguists!??

Its only slowly by learning portugese i can understand the spoken form not fully still learning ob im abeginner. But everyone told me they were mutually intelligible.

Would irish and scots gaelic be mutally intelligible?

I'm not familiar with either language so I've no idea.

I'm not familiar with either language so I've no idea.
    I have very little irish ..and no scots gaelic ..so me neither. I've asked on the irish forum.

By the way i can't and didnt claim to understand full conversations in catalan. But i found some similarities interesting.

I know if i lived in catalonia i would have to learn it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If anyone uses audible, today's daily deal is Beginner's Spanish by superpolyglotbros. I've no idea what's like but you couldn't go wrong for £2.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement