Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UL GEM 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 greentoast

Hi all, I got a 53...pretty worried. Any hope for me, or shall I start studying for those bloody GAMSATs again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sofy_123

There were students in first year this year with 51 and person with 50 started a few weeks in to the programme. a good chunk dropped out during the first few weeks, about ten or fifteen

Are you sure about this? I got 58 this year, but last year I got 52. I was hoping to possibly get in on the first or second round (as I had heard the same as what you said, that people got in on 51 the year before me). I rang Lonnie Costelloe in admissions several times, I was on a waiting list with everyone else who had gotten a 52. As far as I can remember, I was 12th in that list and did not receive an offer, and was told I had minimal chance of an offer by her in early August. I just wouldn't like people getting their hopes up because I was in that situation last year and it's awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

ULMedsoc wrote: »
    Hi there is no need to worry about being from a non-science background - after the first year or two, you wouldn't even notice the difference between those with Science degrees and those with Business degrees.
    The PBL aspect of the course is great, you are given a 'paper case' at the start of the week (Tuesday for First years). Each PBL has three tutorial, you come up with learning objectives yourselves, a tutor is there to facilitate and guide you with this process. You then read up and learn your objectives and present them at the next tutorial, you are then given more information about the patient and the process repeats itself again. To complement this, you are given 'mini cases' which complement the case as well. There may or may not be several lectures throughout the week, which should complement the case and direct you in your learning. Is there anything else you would like to know?

do many students receive complete sets of pbl notes/learning objectives/complete anatomy worksheets from students in years above ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ULMedsoc

sofy_123 wrote: »
    Are you sure about this? I got 58 this year, but last year I got 52. I was hoping to possibly get in on the first or second round (as I had heard the same as what you said, that people got in on 51 the year before me). I rang Lonnie Costelloe in admissions several times, I was on a waiting list with everyone else who had gotten a 52. As far as I can remember, I was 12th in that list and did not receive an offer, and was told I had minimal chance of an offer by her in early August. I just wouldn't like people getting their hopes up because I was in that situation last year and it's awful

Hi If you see my above posts I corrected this information.

sofy_123 wrote: »
    do many students receive complete sets of pbl notes/learning objectives/complete anatomy worksheets from students in years above ?

This is not advisable - they also change some of the learning objectives/mini cases etc from year to year. You learn more by doing them yourself !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trendy88

Guys just wondering, those of you who are filling out the scholarship form for UL, are you sticking to the space allotted in the form for the personal statement section or typing one yourself and attaching it. I feel the section allotted is very small but at the same time I dont want to write too much and have that work against me.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭RainBow_xo

trendy88 wrote: »
    Guys just wondering, those of you who are filling out the scholarship form for UL, are you sticking to the space allotted in the form for the personal statement section or typing one yourself and attaching it. I feel the section allotted is very small but at the same time I dont want to write too much and have that work against me.

I am wondering the exact same thing! I'd love to know.

RainBow_xo wrote: »
    I am wondering the exact same thing! I'd love to know.

Im not sure, but if you ring you the main office and ask them Im sure they'd be more than happy to help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SmileyRK

Hey guys,

Current 2nd year med student in UL, also from Limerick here. Just said I'd post and see if anyone has questions or needs help with anything, although UL Medsoc seems to be on the ball :)

Just post or drop me a PM with any questions :)

SmileyRK wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Current 2nd year med student in UL, also from Limerick here. Just said I'd post and see if anyone has questions or needs help with anything, although UL Medsoc seems to be on the ball :)

Just post or drop me a PM with any questions :)

Hi SmileyRK,

This is quite random but is there a microwave in the GEMS building?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 SmileyRK

Hi SmileyRK,

This is quite random but is there a microwave in the GEMS building?

No microwave at the moment!! But there is a cafe and a water fountain XD

SmileyRK wrote: »
    No microwave at the moment!! But there is a cafe and a water fountain XD

Nooooooooooooooooo :eek::eek:
    I don't know what I am going to do.....but on the plus side there is a water fountain :D

Nooooooooooooooooo :eek::eek:
    I don't know what I am going to do.....but on the plus side there is a water fountain :D

There is a post-graduate common room across the living bridge (5-7 minute walk away) that has tea and coffee making facilities, chairs, tables etc and a microwave!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭supraspinaswim

Hey guys,

For those banking on an extra loan for accommodation/ living expenses, think again. Just spoke to the officer Grainne - on pdf for GEM fees on UL GEM homepage, and asked whether such would be available. She confirmed that nothing exists outside of UB covering the 15k loan per year. According to her, the underwriters - I think feel that 60k is enough of a loan for med students to be coming out of college with. Which is another way of saying that no we're not offering the living expenses portion since we're not making either a enough out of it or b they're reconsidering their position on providing for GEM.

Just thought I'd let people know, its disappointing for me since I was hoping UL would come through, I got 56 in the GAMSAT before so was hoping it be ok. Plus Im a UB account holder. Looks like its UCC for me or as they say time to sell fruit on the highway for year to make my fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Cymini Sectores

Just a thought on the subject of loans. I wonder if UB gives EVERY potential UL GEMS loan. I'd imagine there'd be certain criteria for one to qualify. I will be happy enough (and even shocked) to get the 60k alone, for there is nothing that has troubled me more lately than how I will pay the fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Snares

Hey guys,

For those banking on an extra loan for accommodation/ living expenses, think again. Just spoke to the officer Grainne - on pdf for GEM fees on UL GEM homepage, and asked whether such would be available. She confirmed that nothing exists outside of UB covering the 15k loan per year. According to her, the underwriters - I think feel that 60k is enough of a loan for med students to be coming out of college with. Which is another way of saying that no we're not offering the living expenses portion since we're not making either a enough out of it or b they're reconsidering their position on providing for GEM.

Just thought I'd let people know, its disappointing for me since I was hoping UL would come through, I got 56 in the GAMSAT before so was hoping it be ok. Plus Im a UB account holder. Looks like its UCC for me or as they say time to sell fruit on the highway for year to make my fees.

I'm just wondering why you think it'd be possible to get funding for UCC- is there some special tailored loan a bank offers for them? I've been relying on getting the loan/Scholarship for UL but got 57 in the GAMSAT so would consider switching choices if there was some other option for funding for UCC or UCD.

Snares wrote: »
    I'm just wondering why you think it'd be possible to get funding for UCC- is there some special tailored loan a bank offers for them? I've been relying on getting the loan/Scholarship for UL but got 57 in the GAMSAT so would consider switching choices if there was some other option for funding for UCC or UCD.

Yes Im not sure about this either, the current third year graduate entry med students were the last year to receive 100,000€ loans but this has now been reduced to 60000€ for all graduate entry med students. It only covers the fees. Living expenses have to be paid for by yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Cymini Sectores

Apart from being proficient in her or his trade, a physician should be well aware of the politics surrounding it.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/hiqa-limerick-hospital-emergency-department-not-fit-for-purpose-632678.html

• Registered Users Posts: 35 wild_swan

Hi - would people recommend on campus accommodation? Not sure if I'm on the old side for it at this stage or not being in my third decade of life! ;) Where would be good areas to look into for off campus & whats the average price rental? Also is there parking nearby the GEMS building if you were to be driving in every day? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Durf

wild_swan wrote: »
    Hi - would people recommend on campus accommodation? Not sure if I'm on the old side for it at this stage or not being in my third decade of life! ;) Where would be good areas to look into for off campus & whats the average price rental? Also is there parking nearby the GEMS building if you were to be driving in every day? Thanks

I was thinking on campus accommodation would be good for 1st year, at least. Sure it is more expensive, but it is less hassle, amenities at your fingertips and I can just focus on what I am there to do. I am 29 and i feel like I need to arrange myself to make best use of my time....as I am already behind schedule :) - compared to some of they people I will meet anyway.

I doubt if I could afford all 4 years in on campus accommodation. But 1 year might help me focus.

I am open to other opinions tho...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 greentoast

Does anyone know when there will be an idea of scores or when offers go out? I'm right on last years cut off line and am biting my lip.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Lub

The offers come out at the very end of July or the beginning of August, so we'll find out the round 0 scores then. I honestly can't see the scores going up at all, because the number of people applying for grad med has dropped this year. Fingers crossed anyway. :)

To answer the question, I was hoping that UCC offered something of a tailored package but they too changed their policy only this week - was speaking with them.

AIB do a 25k parental loan - for students that can be taken out either in a lump sum or as portioned out. Its over 12 yrs, the first 7 of which are interest only and the last 5 interest and capital.

Im going to see a student officer in July -late apt, to see about getting that loan to help cover the living expenses portion of GEM. As for tuition fees, Im like everyone else, hoping they dont refuse.

But in the case of that loan, with AIB it means that I could go to UCC, UL or UCD, provided UCD drops to 56 and I get the miracle Im hoping for. (Im not going to the RCSI, the prevailing opinion there at the open day was that why should you commit to sports also when youre doing medicine. Fair point for some, but I train in swimming and taekwando so Sandyfords a bit out of the way for me. )

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tk09aag

Hi guys, I am new here and I have a quick question. Basically my GAMSAT is 54 which was shocking but I'm just wondering if it's enough to get me into UL this year. I know this has been answered before but I'm just really worried about it. Also I am from Scotland (so EU student),would that affect my chances?

tk09aag wrote: »
    Hi guys, I am new here and I have a quick question. Basically my GAMSAT is 54 which was shocking but I'm just wondering if it's enough to get me into UL this year. I know this has been answered before but I'm just really worried about it. Also I am from Scotland (so EU student),would that affect my chances?

Hey TK, last year the round 0 cutoff was 53* (not everyone with a score of 53 got in in this round, and there are later rounds in which the score can drop a bit), so I think you have a great chance of getting a place in UL this year. There hasn't been a surge in applicants or anything that should make the scores go up. You'll be treated the same as any Irish person applying through the CAO - if you've got the points, you're in! :)

(Round 0 cut offs can be found by going to the CAO website > click Media and Statistics on the left > Points by Year > 2013 Points.)

AIB do a 25k parental loan - for students that can be taken out either in a lump sum or as portioned out. Its over 12 yrs, the first 7 of which are interest only and the last 5 interest and capital.

Just out of interest Supra, can you get this loan from AIB even if you decide to get the GEM loan from Ulster Bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Blue_Zebra

To answer the question, I was hoping that UCC offered something of a tailored package but they too changed their policy only this week - was speaking with them.

What did you find out from UCC - I tried to contact the campus branch last week but got out of offices from both contacts I had...??

Thats the big problem: whether you can get the AIB loan and GEM loan with UB or BOI.

When I spoke to the officer in the Ulster Bank branch in UL she said they take it into account when considering giving the tuition fees loan. They feel 60k is enough for gems to be coming out with as a debt.

For UCC they said the same, 60k only for the tuition fees, and most likely they'd take into consideration any other loans you have out including say the AIB one. They look at it as total exposure to debt and use that as a measurement combined with income as a capacity for repayments.

Atm' Im in contact with AIB about the 25k loan and it seems they take the tuition fees into account also. The problem for me is my folks have to guarantor and well lets say that hasnt gone down too well ! Understandably, the banks say that my folks would exposed to the entire loan package (tuition and personal) and that influences their decision to give it.

Sorry for being long winded, medicine for me right now is looking dodgy, even after 4 yrs of chasing it down. HPAT, GAMSAT, Banks - its been rough.

Looks like Im back to UL probs, since AIB said that on the folk's income its not viable to obtain the special faculty loan that AIB have.

I went to the RCSI open day at Christmas and didnt really get a good impression from them tbh. I felt it was more if you're not rich then take a hike, since most of the students are government funded internationals. My folks are trying to get me to go there, if the points for the RCSI hit 56 this year since Dublin's closer than UL. But UL seems better in the sense its up to you to do the work, no 35 hrs of lectures a week i had at one point.

UL Medsoc, if you could give some detail on the teaching style it would be handy - is it all pbl or a mix with the didactic stuff ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tk09aag

So what's everyone's final list of choices, I'm torn. Keep changing mine every two seconds! :/

Advertisement