Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UL GEM 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 watzup

RainBow_xo wrote: »
    Hi Watz :)

I went to UL in Jan because I missed the open night and was able to squeeze in a quick talk with the professor. She just explained about the PBL aspect of the course and she said there will always be tutors guiding you to make sure you are on the right track. From the very beginning we will be exposed to patients in two clinical settings, one with a chronic illness and a pregnancy, if I remember correctly.

She also mentioned the number of places has most likely reached its maximum and would not be increasing (approximately 120, I think), so hopefully GAMSAT scores do not move anytime soon. UL was originally meant to be GP focussed but she assured me we would have rotations similar to the other medical schools. You probably already know there is no dissection element to the course. Anddddddddd.....that's about all I can remember. HTH :D
    Hey Rainbow!

Thanks for your reply, that has definitely helped. At this stage now its just a matter of sitting back and waiting for the offers in August I guess! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭RainBow_xo

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering whether we would have to be able to convert fractions into decimals in the GAMSAT?

For example, would I need to know what 9/24 is in decimals?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 reasoning

Depends how close the answer stems are to each other. With so little time it is sometimes best to just estimate. So 9/24 I would take as 10/25. If you play with the decimals and say 100/25 is 4 so 10/25 is 0.4. As we estimated we increased both numbers so we have to take a number a little lower than 0.4. Now using long division will get you closer to the real answer but with the time limit of 1.5 second per question it may not be wise, especially if the answers are far apart to allow estimating.

reasoning wrote: »
    Depends how close the answer stems are to each other. With so little time it is sometimes best to just estimate. So 9/24 I would take as 10/25. If you play with the decimals and say 100/25 is 4 so 10/25 is 0.4. As we estimated we increased both numbers so we have to take a number a little lower than 0.4. Now using long division will get you closer to the real answer but with the time limit of 1.5 second per question it may not be wise, especially if the answers are far apart to allow estimating.

Hi reasoning, thank you for the advice! That makes a lot of sense :D

I'm a current UL med student so any questions anyone may have ask away on here or private mail, happy to answer anything!

Hi DublinDoc,

I noticed when I had a look around the GEM building that there was no library. Is there a specific med library somewhere else or do GEMs use the main library? If so, how far is it from the GEM building? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

Not a GEM but I know there are medical books in the main library - I could be corrected on this but I think thats what GEMs use.

It is over in the main campus i.e. across the living bridge maybe a 5-10minute walk at most depending on how fast you walk.

Again though I'm open to correction on this.

phish wrote: »
    Not a GEM but I know there are medical books in the main library - I could be corrected on this but I think thats what GEMs use.

It is over in the main campus i.e. across the living bridge maybe a 5-10minute walk at most depending on how fast you walk.

Again though I'm open to correction on this.

Thank you! That makes a lot of sense :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ULMedsoc

Hi Everybody, if anyone has any questions that they would like to have answered about UL GEMS please don't hesitate to message us. We will try and clarify anything for you if we can.

Hi
    There is a study area in the main GEMS building and then a good section of medical books in the library as well. There is a specific post-grad study room in the library and the main building which GEMS are entitled to use.
    Hope this helps!

ULMedsoc wrote: »
    Hi
    There is a study area in the main GEMS building and then a good section of medical books in the library as well. There is a specific post-grad study room in the library and the main building which GEMS are entitled to use.
    Hope this helps!

That's good to hear! I was worried there wouldn't be any areas available for reading in between tutorials and lectures and that! Is the main library very far from the GEMS building?

• Advertisement

I demonstrate at a university in Dublin and recently I had to give a tutorial on a man who presented with symptoms of an enlarged prostate. So the students were provided with a list of possible diagnoses and had to work through the given information in order to recommend courses of treatment and the likes. I was just wondering if this is the structure of PBL in UL?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Junoon

i learned that UL course has no dissection element in it and the students are using software to learn gross anatomy .

Will it not be difficult and disadvantageous for students when they have to compete and excel students from from other schools who have trained with cadavers?

What you all think about it?

Will it not make us ill prepared?

Did anyone speak about this with any doctors or academics?
    Would also like to hear how current students of GEM at UL have to say about it ....

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ballet17

Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if anyone has applied for the scholarship in UL and received a confirmation email stating they have received your application? I haven't hears anything back from them, and I suppose with all the waiting and anticipation for results next month I'm just being overly cautious, thanks!

hey there....i applied phase 1 application.

I got a call back from their office regarding some clarification on the info i provided.

they were very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Junoon wrote: »
    i learned that UL course has no dissection element in it and the students are using software to learn gross anatomy .

Will it not be difficult and disadvantageous for students when they have to compete and excel students from from other schools who have trained with cadavers?

What you all think about it?

Will it not make us ill prepared?

Did anyone speak about this with any doctors or academics?
    Would also like to hear how current students of GEM at UL have to say about it ....

thanks

No. The relevance of cadaver dissection is pretty minuscule.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ballet17

Junoon wrote: »
    hey there....i applied phase 1 application.

I got a call back from their office regarding some clarification on the info i provided.

they were very helpful

Thanks Junoon, I might give them a call so! :)

thanks for your reply

But the following article made me write that queries.Please read it and let us hear some other views from our fellow members

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2012/10/gross-anatomy-2.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Gniht

No. The relevance of cadaver dissection is pretty minuscule.

citation needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Gniht wrote: »
    citation needed.

Been there done that.

It is quickly forgotten and personally made very little difference for the learning of anatomy when there are great books like Rohen's Atlas available. We were examined using real specimens and even for that a good atlas is much more important.

As for surgery etc later on in your career, well it's completely a non issue and absolutely no help. If you want to do surgery you'll have many years to hold retractors and suture before you get near the good stuff!

The only thing I liked about it was it's a novelty initially and makes you realise what you are studying.

Been there done that.

It is quickly forgotten and personally made very little difference for the learning of anatomy when there are great books like Rohen's Atlas available. We were examined using real specimens and even for that a good atlas is much more important.

As for surgery etc later on in your career, well it's completely a non issue and absolutely no help. If you want to do surgery you'll have many years to hold retractors and suture before you get near the good stuff!

The only thing I liked about it was it's a novelty initially and makes you realise what you are studying.

thank you for the detailed explanation and view .

• Advertisement

Is there anyone who can shed some light on the PBL aspect of the course?

Hello!
    I've looked on the BE website but I'm not having any luck finding a monthly pass (if it even exists). I was wondering do people usually pay for return tickets each time or is there any kind of scheme in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NewShoes

Hello!
    I've looked on the BE website but I'm not having any luck finding a monthly pass (if it even exists). I was wondering do people usually pay for return tickets each time or is there any kind of scheme in place?

Do you mean from the City Centre? Its €57 I think for the monthly pass from the City, and €17 weekly. You can get them in the SU on campus.

NewShoes wrote: »
    Do you mean from the City Centre? Its €57 I think for the monthly pass from the City, and €17 weekly. You can get them in the SU on campus.

Oh I'm sorry, I totally left out that information. I want to travel from Ennis to UL daily.

That's good to hear! I was worried there wouldn't be any areas available for reading in between tutorials and lectures and that! Is the main library very far from the GEMS building?

5 minute walk across the living bridge

Is there anyone who can shed some light on the PBL aspect of the course?

What are looking to know exactly?

ULMedsoc wrote: »
    What are looking to know exactly?

I demonstrate at a university and recently I had to give a tutorial on a man who presented with symptoms of an enlarged prostate. So the students were provided with a list of possible diagnoses and had to work through the given information in order to recommend courses of treatment and the likes. I was just wondering if this is the structure of PBL in UL?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Oh I'm sorry, I totally left out that information. I want to travel from Ennis to UL daily.

You can get a 10 journey ticket (5 return trips) from Dublin Coach for use UL-Ennis for €20.

You can get a 10 journey ticket (5 return trips) from Dublin Coach for use UL-Ennis for €20.

I emailed them and they said it is €10 for 10 single journeys(student price). That's great value! Thank you.

• Advertisement

Has any one received Statement of Application Record from CAO? I've received mine and only my LC results are shown, is this normal?

Advertisement