Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speech and language therapy UL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Krazylotty123

EdenGirl wrote: »
    That's such a good idea, I'll join it now. I'm so excited but nervous too I've no idea about where to live or anything like that

Brilliant! I just requested to join too. Same, haven't a clue about accommodation etc but have already started looking on daft.ie in excitement. Has anyone received anything in the post yet as I'm away and am only making assumptions based on what was on the www.si.ul.ie portal?... Which has been out of order last 24 hours... In fact, I might've dreamed up the whole thing :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 EdenGirl

I'm the same googling everything, can't wait to get started. Letters arrived last Wednesday just with garda vetting form, info on vaccinations, giros to pay the deposit and some other bits. Don't worry I'm sure your letter will be waiting for you when you're home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 love_apple

I got in! Can't quite believe it! I got a letter in mid Feb saying I didn't get the first round offer but I had been placed on the reserve list... I thought that was it then I was devastated but eventually decided to email them (best decision ever) and they gave full breakdown of my marks (it's a points-based system) and said I was number two on the list.. the last month has been torture waiting to hear but finally good news! They said too that places were offered last year right up to the start date and they used almost 20 reserves so I wouldn't give up hope. 110 people applied too so well done to anyone that gets in!
    Eek.. Reality startin to hit now! Excited but nervous too! Startn to worry about course fees now though :-\

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Krazylotty123

love_apple wrote: »
    I got in! Can't quite believe it! I got a letter in mid Feb saying I didn't get the first round offer but I had been placed on the reserve list... I thought that was it then I was devastated but eventually decided to email them (best decision ever) and they gave full breakdown of my marks (it's a points-based system) and said I was number two on the list.. the last month has been torture waiting to hear but finally good news! They said too that places were offered last year right up to the start date and they used almost 20 reserves so I wouldn't give up hope. 110 people applied too so well done to anyone that gets in!
    Eek.. Reality startin to hit now! Excited but nervous too! Startn to worry about course fees now though :-\

Hey! Hadn't checked this in a while... Congratulations! Can't wait to meet everyone. Wow, I'm surprised they were so forthcoming with all that info but it's good to know. I'm the same, the financial implications are already stressing me out! Looks like I'm back to 20c noodles again...

Have you joined the fb page? The link's just above there if you haven't! :)

Hey! Hadn't checked this in a while... Congratulations! Can't wait to meet everyone. Wow, I'm surprised they were so forthcoming with all that info but it's good to know. I'm the same, the financial implications are already stressing me out! Looks like I'm back to 20c noodles again...

Have you joined the fb page? The link's just above there if you haven't! :)

Ya I'm wondering too if most people are going for on campus accommodation? It's crazy expensive but would remove alot of accommodation related stress... I requested to join the fb but dunno if they accepted me... :-\

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 shorter

Hey evryone im goin in to 2nd year of the course this year if ye hav ne qs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dani_F

shorter wrote: »
    Hey evryone im goin in to 2nd year of the course this year if ye hav ne qs!!

Hi folks,
    I'm applying for this course at the moment and I'd really appreciate any advice on how to make my application stand out as UL no longer conduct interviews so the supporting statement really has to do it for me. I have a little bit of shadowing experience and other bits and bobs such as working as a care assistant in a care of the elderly hospital and countering as a conversation partner with an aphasic patient but I'm struggling with wording of my personal statement. Any advice that those who have gained acceptance in the past could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a mill guys.
    Dani

Hi Dani

I'm a first year in the course and can only speak from my own perspective but hopefully it will help!

It's hard to know what to write but they're basically looking for you to show your "sound knowledge of the scope and diversity of the profession" and also demonstrate why you want to do the course and what efforts you have put in to gain experience.

It's been really tough this year to get any kind of work shadowing so don't worry if you have limited experience with that specifically, I did too. They advise to get as much experience with the client group as possible i.e. volunteer/work with people with communication difficulties, disabilities, children, the elderly.. It's all relevant and experience has a high weighting in your application so don't leave anything out!

Here is info I received from the department about application process when I applied, I can only say what it was like this year though, I don't know if it will change for next year..:

"Entrance is by competition. This year we had 110 applications for 32 places. There are no interviews held for this programme."

"We almost used 20 of our reserves in 2012" (i.e. 20 ppl got in on 2nd round after successful applicants decided not to take their places)

"Applications are currently scored on the following criteria:
    Class of your first or subsequent degree. Qualification to be considered must be at level 8 or above. While we take some people with lower second class honours most years, most successful applicants have an upper second or above.

Your application should demonstrate a sound knowledge of the scope and diversity of the profession. [scored out of 3]

Your supporting statement and CV are also scored for writing style. [scored out of 3]

Work experience, that is, number of different client groups worked with, and duration of the experience is scored out of 6.

Three additional points can be allocated for an achievement which is considered unique among applicants and represents the potential to make an outstanding contribution to the course and the profession. These three points are very rarely awarded, as the achievement must be truly exceptional."

Best of Luck! Might see you at the open day on the 24th!smile.png

love_apple wrote: »
    Hi Dani

I'm a first year in the course and can only speak from my own perspective but hopefully it will help!

It's hard to know what to write but they're basically looking for you to show your "sound knowledge of the scope and diversity of the profession" and also demonstrate why you want to do the course and what efforts you have put in to gain experience.

It's been really tough this year to get any kind of work shadowing so don't worry if you have limited experience with that specifically, I did too. They advise to get as much experience with the client group as possible i.e. volunteer/work with people with communication difficulties, disabilities, children, the elderly.. It's all relevant and experience has a high weighting in your application so don't leave anything out!

Here is info I received from the department about application process when I applied, I can only say what it was like this year though, I don't know if it will change for next year..:

"Entrance is by competition. This year we had 110 applications for 32 places. There are no interviews held for this programme."

"We almost used 20 of our reserves in 2012" (i.e. 20 ppl got in on 2nd round after successful applicants decided not to take their places)

"Applications are currently scored on the following criteria:
    Class of your first or subsequent degree. Qualification to be considered must be at level 8 or above. While we take some people with lower second class honours most years, most successful applicants have an upper second or above.

Your application should demonstrate a sound knowledge of the scope and diversity of the profession. [scored out of 3]

Your supporting statement and CV are also scored for writing style. [scored out of 3]

Work experience, that is, number of different client groups worked with, and duration of the experience is scored out of 6.

Three additional points can be allocated for an achievement which is considered unique among applicants and represents the potential to make an outstanding contribution to the course and the profession. These three points are very rarely awarded, as the achievement must be truly exceptional."

Best of Luck! Might see you at the open day on the 24th!smile.png

Thank you so much love_apple for a fantastic response. You went above and beyond what I was hoping for.

I have a 2.1 in Psychology from NUI Maynooth so hopefully that will suffice for degree and class.

Apart from experience already undertaken, I have a fair bit of shadowing experience organised for the next few months and will be attending several courses alongside a Senior SLT in an observational capacity.

That is great news about so many reserves gaining places. To cover my bases I'm applying for a fair few of the PgDip/MSc courses in the UK also. I know I may not gain a place this year but at least by the end of eight applications, I will be a pro and I'll hopefully get in the following year.

I suppose my biggest concern is about my supporting statement. I just want to represent myself well and allow my knowledge, passion and drive to be shown.

I will indeed be there on the 24th and hopefully will be a little further on with my applications.

Thanks again for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 MCKERRY

Hello everybody. Especially past or current students studying in UL at the moment. I am applying for the course to start in sept 2014. Im really nervous about the personal statement. Can anyone who got in last year give any tips on what to include and how any words roughly. Looking forward to hearing from some of ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 kevaro

Hi I just came across this post and wanted to let anyone that is hoping to start the SLT course in UL that offers went up yesterday. I think they said mid feb but they are up now:)

hi kevaro.

how do i check?

Hey Mckerry,

you go on to http://www.si.ul.ie/urd/sits.urd/run/siw_lgn , I think they sent an email given you log in details to this when u applied.I had an account from last yr that why i am hazzy on the how i got log in details. I didnt expect to hear anything for another month so its great they came out early!!!

Thanks. I just checked & it says no decisions has been made on my application to date. Congratulations I am assuming u got accepted?

Yeah i did cant believe it really, but i am not letting myself get too excited until i get that letter! i this was my second time applying, I was on the reserve list last year so i know how nerve racking the wait can be!! its weird cos they said they'd offer in mid feb, last year i found out on the 18th of feb but ppl that i knew got in found out that day too so i dont know how it works!! fingers crossed you'll get in, just keep checking ur account cos they dont send out emails i dont think:) Best of luck!!:)

I can feel ur excitement we'll done. U can celebrate da weekend ��!!! What did it say on ur email?

I can feel ur excitement we'll done. U can celebrate da weekend!!! Can I ask what did it say on ur email/status?

whoops sorry honestly i was trying to not sound too excited cos i genuinely know how nerve racking it is waiting.

They dont seem to send emails as far as i know but last yr the status said 'reserve' and this year it says 'offer conditional' my friend that got an offer a while ago from them said that her one said 'offer conditional' too so i think it will be ok... that is why i am waiting to get the letter to be 100 per cent sure ya know. but i think they just say 'conditional ' until they garda vet you. I hope so anyways:)...

kevaro wrote: »
    whoops sorry honestly i was trying to not sound too excited cos i genuinely know how nerve racking it is waiting.

They dont seem to send emails as far as i know but last yr the status said 'reserve' and this year it says 'offer conditional' my friend that got an offer a while ago from them said that her one said 'offer conditional' too so i think it will be ok... that is why i am waiting to get the letter to be 100 per cent sure ya know. but i think they just say 'conditional ' until they garda vet you. I hope so anyways:)...
    I was just told this morning to check the portal as some of the decisions have been posted. I've got accepted. I'm delighted. On mine it said "Unconditional Offer" and it was my first year applying so I'm in shock but so happy.

Nice to meet you Kevaro, I'm Dani.

Aaahhh congrads dani!!well done!! I rang them n they said mine was ' unconditional ' on the system but ' conditional' on mine cos they want to see my original birthcert n original degree so that is grand!! I'm so excited!! Well done getting in ur first try!:) So much to think about ! So happy now that I know for definite!

• Advertisement

kevaro wrote: »
    Aaahhh congrads dani!!well done!! I rang them n they said mine was ' unconditional ' on the system but ' conditional' on mine cos they want to see my original birthcert n original degree so that is grand!! I'm so excited!! Well done getting in ur first try!:) So much to think about ! So happy now that I know for definite!

I know I'm delighted as well. Of course now I'm running around googling everything in sight, looking into accommodation etc. Getting ahead of myself a little bit.
    I've had offers and interviews from UK masters as well but I'm fairly set on Limerick because it's got a good rep and I wouldn't have to leave Ireland. I'm surprised we found out so early and my letter arrived yesterday so it's official.

Eeek i know so exciting !! The letter came to mine home address yesterday too so parents are after forwarding it to me, they read it though it make sure it was ok !ek cant wait!!i dont think i can still really believe it yet that i got a place! I didn't apply to any UK ones are u going to head to any of the interviews? I think ur right to be looking at stuff though cos time will fly ! The great thing is the offer is sooo early that we will hopefully have a lot of accommodation options n time to prepare:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Xbox2013

Hi

For those who got a place can I ask when is the closing date for accepting?

Regards

Hi XBOX,

The acceptance fee that secures your place has to be paid by the 4th of Feb. I remember wondering the same thing when i applied last yr, I was on the reserve list and just wanted to let you know that if u are on the reserve list that the moved quickly enough after offer acceptance time and for the next few months after. I hope this helps :)

Hi Kevaro,

Thanks a mil for that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Hi all,

Congrats on your offers :)

I was just wondering where you guys did your work experience? I'm trying to get work experience at the moment for an application for next year, but I'm finding it difficult. I've asked SLT's in NRH, Beaumount, Mater and community teams that I would know off. However, none of them will take people as they are too busy, and also for patient confidentiality as well. Any suggestions, especially for work experience with children would be much appreciated :)

Hi Kevaro

Can I also ask when do full fees have to be paid by?

Regards

Hey Xbox ,

It says on the letter that the semester one fees are due by the 6th of September. Last year they told me that the reserve list didn't move until after the acceptance fee date . At least that day to pay acceptance fee is only two days away now, I remember last year within a month i have gone up the list by 6 places and after another month a had gone up another six. I know its nerve racking waiting to know what's happening.
    I hope this helps:)

Thanks Kevaro...its a wait and see so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Kelemina

Hi all,
    Congrats to those who were offered places! I was also offered a place in QMU, which was unexpected so now I'm of two minds about which to accept.

@panda100,
    I found it difficult to get experience with SLTs, so I mostly focused on getting as much experience as I could through volunteering. Volunteer Ireland have a great website that lists volunteering vacancies in each county. Through their website I was able to find a voluntary position with Brothers of Charity, in a special needs school.
    When I was applying to volunteer I remember seeing other ads posted for local parent and toddler groups and helping out in after-school clubs, which would also be relevant child-specific experience.
    I think the most important thing when it comes to applying to UL is to reflect on what you've learned through your work experience, rather than focusing on how much experience you've got! This was the mistake I made when applying last year! Hope that helps :)

Advertisement