Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Info about courses in UL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Hi everybody, is/did anybody here do the course for teaching physics and chemistry? Just wondering, are the actual sciences much harder than secondary school, or is it around the same difficulty?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭alexjk

I'm thinking about doing the Global Computing and Localisation MSc this year. I've a background in translation but not necessarily with localisation or software development. I'm really interested in though, so I'm hoping to hear opinions about the course! I've been hearing for years that Limerick is supposed to be fantastic for teaching this so that's a good first sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bedstuybosco

Anybody know anything about the
    LLM/MA HUMAN RIGHTS IN CRIMINAL JUSTICE

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TDJ454

Hi,

Was looking at this course (chemical engineering graduate diploma) and was wondering does anyone know anything about it? I'm currently studying chemistry in UCD but was thinking about leaning more towards chemical engineering as it seems to be easier to make a career out of it? Would it be manageable with "science level" maths and would it be the same overall as having a chemical engineering degree?

Cheers!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

Just wondering if any student doing the English and History course in Limerick give me some feedback about it, i've researched it a lot so get the general jist but would be nice to hear from a students point of view. I have it down on my cao but at the moment it is not my first choice, would like to know a bit about what you do in the course in first year..is there a lot of project work/essay writing..things like that, thanks anyone for your help :)
    Just wondering if any student doing the English and History course in Limerick give me some feedback about it, i've researched it a lot so get the general jist but would be nice to hear from a students point of view. I have it down on my cao but at the moment it is not my first choice, would like to know a bit about what you do in the course in first year..is there a lot of project work/essay writing..things like that, thanks anyone for your help smile.gif

Hey!
    I'm just finished my first year of English and History, so I'll answer your questions.
    The first semester is fairly basic and just sort of sets you up for the rest of the course. You've probably seen the list of modules but here's a quick breakdown:
    • Academic Literacies: An intro to academic writing, common across all the english courses and if you've got enough common sense, you'll probably pass it in your sleep. You have to do worksheets and those combined with tutorial attendance make up 30% of the module. An argument analysis is worth another 20%, and there's an essay (which you can do on anything) and a presentation which make up the other 50%. (I used a spruced up version of my RSR from the leaving)
    • The Irish Literary Revival: A nice enough module made up of plays and prose by Sean O Casey, George Moore, James Joyce and W.B. Yeats. Graded on a (very) short essay type thing, tutorial attendance, a presentation and a final essay of around 1200 words.
    • Critical Practice 1: An easy enough module (as long as you like reading) that teaches you the basic format of MLA style (which you use for all English essays) and you have to read Paul Auster's City of Glass, The Awakening by Kate Chopin and some of Poe's short stories. The grading is broken down into tutorial attendance for 10% two essays worth 40% each, and then for the last 10% you edit and improve the essay that you got the lowest grade in and re-submit it.
    • Diplomacy Government and the State, 1550-1715 : Handy enough...the essay (33.33%) was based in the first half of the course which was Spain and the exam (66.66%) was based on the second half, France (a lot of Louis XIV and Cardinal Mazarin).
    • Early Modern Europe and Ireland: Goes from about 1400 to just after Cromwell and it's fairly easy, just going into depth of stuff that you will have done in school and it's graded the same way as Diplomacy, Government and the State.
    So that's just the first semester, but you'll find in the second semester that the workload is about the same. In the first semester I had 7 essays, an argument analysis (that in all fairness took me about half an hour), two presentations and an exam. In semester 2 I had 4 essays, a presentation, an argument analysis and a source report (piece of cake).
    So, if there's anything else, you want to know, give me a shout smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

Hey, anyone able to give me a bit of background info on any of these three courses?? :) thank you very much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Weeshie

Hey biggaman, you should post your query on the UL Facebook page - you might get more traffic over there during the summer??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Weeshie wrote: »
    Hey biggaman, you should post your query on the UL Facebook page - you might get more traffic over there during the summer??

The ULSU Facebook page might be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tillyod

Hi!
    I'm just wondering if anyone if anyone has any comments on the industrial biochemistry course. Im in 6th year did Biology, Chemistry and Ag. Science for the leaving, so i have a good background in each but i just want to know what is the demand like for the course? Is the level of chemistry very tough compared to the leaving??

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dougal707

hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone can help i am interested in the Bachelor of Arts in Economics and Sociology degree in ul but would like to know what the course is actual like and what kind of jobs people who have graduated from the course have gotten i would be entering as a a mature student and would like to know the age make up of the class and male to female ratio in the class also

thanks in advance for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Mofty

Hi,
    Has anyone any info on a Bachelor of Arts in Languages, Literature and Film? I have an interview next week... Any help would be much appeciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Is anyone doing energy science adn have info about it????

Hi Coomkeen3010
    I'm heading into 3 year and I can tell you that the course is very enjoyable but it is not a walk in the park. The module are very much physic based and work is need for them. Since I have been in the course the class has went on trip to power plant and an Eco village and I with 2 other classmates went on an energy conversion to Linz Austria as part of the course. From the start you have to pick which maths you want to do. The science maths is the easier then the engineering but if you the science you can't do the power or market streams
    For the first semester it cover all the science modules and an energy modules but from then on it becomes more physics based
    For more info on the modules you will be taken click here

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭tazbars

Third year New Media and English student - PM me for information

• Company Representative Posts: 8 Verified rep JE Cairnes

New Joint UL NUI Galway Masters.... further details here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056318128

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

Can anybody here give me more info about Law Plus? I'd really appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Can anyone doing Materials and Architectural Technology tell me how mahy hours I'll roughly be doing for the first year, and how are they spread? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭LimerickLad92

Anybody got any info on the Business w/ Japanese in UL?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 alright_dave

Anyone know how many hours a week is in the business studies course?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Can anyone doing Materials and Architectural Technology tell me how mahy hours I'll roughly be doing for the first year, and how are they spread? Thanks.

I'm with this guy... anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Anyone know how many hours a week is in the business studies course?

As little as possible:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

Hey all :)

Whats the difference between the psychology/sociology and the other psychology course at UL? how do they differ? or which is the best option to do?

Thanks everyone!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cizzy_

Hey de hey :)
    Seriously considering doing ULs BSc Psychology but I wont be starting until 2012 was just wondering if theres a facility online to check the 1st year time table for this year's first years so I can audit a lecture or two. Iv done a different course and dropped out before so want to be sure im making the right decision. Would really appreciate any help ye could give me :)
    Thankies

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PROGRAM_IX

UL's Course Timetable

Not necessarily indicative of:
    -the actual practical timetable (lecturer changing times, etc.)
    -next year's timetable (in terms of modules)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Hey all :)

Whats the difference between the psychology/sociology and the other psychology course at UL? how do they differ? or which is the best option to do?

Thanks everyone!:D
    cizzy_ wrote: »
    Hey de hey :)
    Seriously considering doing ULs BSc Psychology but I wont be starting until 2012 was just wondering if theres a facility online to check the 1st year time table for this year's first years so I can audit a lecture or two. Iv done a different course and dropped out before so want to be sure im making the right decision. Would really appreciate any help ye could give me :)
    Thankies

Hey, doing Psych n' Soc, 4th year now.

@wiger, depends on what you want really. My course is in Arts, whereas Psychology is a Science degree. Ours covers more Sociology than does Psychology, though Psychology does still have a number of Sociology modules.

@cizzy, search the UL website for module codes, then go to timetable.ul.ie and enter the codes into 'module timetable'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Could probably give combined info on a number of science courses for 1st year, as they all do pretty much the same modules, for the first semester anyway. This includes; Phar. & Ind. Chem, (My course!) Science choice (to some extent) Biochem and a few other science related courses :)

Modules tend to include;
    Bio
    Chem
    Physics
    (I have all 3 :/ )
    Science Maths (At the mo functions and differentiation, limits and onwards. HL LC Maths, having done OL, finding it v. hard)
    & Computer Sciences (Microsoft Office).
    Also if you're doing more specific courses, you may also get the option to do;
    Biochem
    Physiology
    Nutrition/Food Sciences
    Equitation studies/Science
    Etc.

READ THROUGH THE COURSE YOU WISH TO PICK
    MODULES AND WHAT NOT ON UL.IE PAGE ABOUT YOUR COURSE!

Make sure what you're getting yourself into,
    And be sure you're ready to do the course and modules in it before you pick it.

It'll be a sickening and unbelievably hard 4 years if you don't have an interest in the course you've chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 melmoghra

Hi, I'm thinking about doing the access to university course in January 2012 (if I'm accepted)...:) I am looking at Arts LM032 or maybe LM035. I have started a FETAC level 5 course in Applied Social Studies in Limerick with a view to getting Arts in UCC in 2012. I must get at least 5 distinctions in 5 set modules to qualify for Cork....BUT....if I do the access course in UL and complete it successfully I will be guaranteed a place in my degree course in 2012....has anyone gone to UL via this route and what advice can you offer please?? Thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ameliaR

Im Interested in this course in UL anyone out there who knows anything about it or who is studying it at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mascherano11

Hi... I am applying for entry to the Bsc in Physical education as a mature student for entry in 2012 anybody any experience of this course? any Info would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Can anyone tell me some info about LM118

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

Can anyone tell me some info about LM118

hi there;s some great information on the here http://www3.ul.ie/courses/ElectronicAndComputerEngineering.php
    i would'nt know much about the course my self,

Advertisement