Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSU Election

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Simply sending out an email is not highlighting an election.

The facebook message with reference to the hustings was a knee jerk reaction to the activity on www.boards.ie
    Also the website should be up and running, this is very basic stuff.

As Seamus has pointed out there was a lot of people that didn't know there was an election on.

Having said that fair play to the Treasurer 'Gingeyoung' for addressing the issues.

We regards to promoting the election - in all Sabbatical Elections the respective Unions limit everything to really e-mails and facebook posts. While people say that is not highlighting that there is an election in reality it is still the best way of letting people know their is something on. It could be an option for the PSU to run a general info postering campaign (the green posters that were around this year for the SU elections) in the future.

Postgrads get 1 e-mail a week from Lily, if they don't read it their loss. Facebook was something that was a miss but has been rectified.

The website I can tell you is in the works as we speak.

The reality is during sabbatical election weeks (and I have been here 7 years) it comes down to the candidates and the visability of their campaigns that get people to vote. Any week students will say they didn't know something was on, its generally more apparent with the PSU Elections (and I speak from experience having campaigned last year) as the Union is smaller.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for promoting - there will be a website in place before the end of the summer, posters could be an option in future campaigns but any other ideas are always more than welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 FoleyULPSU

Hey guys

I'm out there canvassing like crazy today (I'm the guy in the purple jumper) If you have any questions about my manifesto please don't hesitate to ask me. Voting is online today at https://vote.ulsu.ie./ from 8am-8pm, if any research masters or phd students are having trouble voting please contact Liz Gabbet (Liz.Gabbett@ul.ie) because regardless of who your voting for you deserve to let your voice heard.

All the best
    Kieran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭goldencrisp62

Hi Seamus,

two more spam emails from you to my facebook today lost you my vote.

All the best with the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 noonanpsu.

Hi all,

Once again thank you very much for your support. Polling has now closed and I am delighted to announce that I was successful in the election. I want to extend my sincerest thanks to you all, I couldn't have achieved this without your help. (Seamus Noonan 169 to 92 votes)

All the best,
    Seamus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Given the absurdly low turnout, your main priority for the year must be increasing engagement with the postgraduates I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

anybody know the result?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Seamus:169 votes

Kieran: 92 votes

• Registered Users Posts: 13 noonanpsu.

Hello all, thank you for your attention and comments for this thread. Unfortunately, this will be my last post in the forum as I need to concentrate on my studies until I take up the post of President on the PSU in June 2014.

I hope that the very visual campaign I ran has also resulted in students being more aware of the PSU and what services they offer.

For now, my concentration will be on my studies. There is a very positive year ahead for the PSU and you will notice the changes almost instantaneously.

Best regards,
    Seamus Noonan.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Seamus:169 votes

Kieran: 92 votes

Can I ask, how many people were eligible to vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Evergreen23

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Can I ask, how many people were eligible to vote?

You can but don't expect an answer :)

The PSU have yet to update their FB page with the election results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

You can but don't expect an answer :)

The PSU have yet to update their FB page with the election results.

I hate how the PSU page is a friend page not a like

Jester252 wrote: »
    I hate how the PSU page is a friend page not a like

I think it might have two pages then! I checked the like page...

We regards to promoting the election - in all Sabbatical Elections the respective Unions limit everything to really e-mails and facebook posts. While people say that is not highlighting that there is an election in reality it is still the best way of letting people know their is something on. It could be an option for the PSU to run a general info postering campaign (the green posters that were around this year for the SU elections) in the future.

Postgrads get 1 e-mail a week from Lily, if they don't read it their loss. Facebook was something that was a miss but has been rectified.

The website I can tell you is in the works as we speak.

The reality is during sabbatical election weeks (and I have been here 7 years) it comes down to the candidates and the visability of their campaigns that get people to vote. Any week students will say they didn't know something was on, its generally more apparent with the PSU Elections (and I speak from experience having campaigned last year) as the Union is smaller.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for promoting - there will be a website in place before the end of the summer, posters could be an option in future campaigns but any other ideas are always more than welcome.

Website still under construction!!!

Advertisement