Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Benny Biscotti

stiofan85 wrote: »
    Do brokers tend to be faster getting approval than going direct? Just handed over our documentation to a broker but we're a bit tight on time. Any harm in applying directly also?

Sorry I misunderstood. It was an advisor we went to see and not a broker. So I dont know much about them or if they are quicker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

Mrnew wrote: »
    How do banks look on you if you got a lump some off a parent (not a loan) and didn't save any yourself for a deposit, but have good credit history paying back loans and paying rent ?

Same situation myself, wasn't a problem.

Deposit from parents (5% and other 5% from HTB) and basically no savings ourselves, but good credit rating and 2 years of paying rent.
    No problem at all with PTSB.

Edit: They will want your parents to sign a letter stating that the money is a non repayable gift and that they have no stake in the property. Your solicitor will sort this out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Mrnew wrote: »
    How do banks look on you if you got a lump some off a parent (not a loan) and didn't save any yourself for a deposit, but have good credit history paying back loans and paying rent ?

You will need to be able to demonstrate saving some amount.
    if you have loans running off, save the same amount every months etc. have you been paying rent?

If you have zero savings and just a cash lump sum, i'd say you might struggle to get approval be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

+1 on them wanting to see regular savings not just loans and rent being paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

GingerLily wrote: »
    If you're looking to buy a new build be aware that you might need flooring, it was the second largest expense for us after the purchase of the house itself! And it's something you need before moving in

Roughly how much does flooring cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Recently engaged and have no idea where to begin with mortgage.
    I am a full time teacher however I have no savings. Living at home so haven’t been paying rent.

Looking for advice really on what best way to deal with banks considering I have nothing to show for the last few years working.

Never thought I’d see the day when I would be looking to build, as to be honest in my mind I was staying at home and partner would move in but that’s not an option now due to his work.

Thanks in advance .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

lililanny wrote: »

Really depends we were 130sqm split between wood downstairs and carpet upstairs cost €7-8k including fitting. Bathrooms came with tiles so we saved another 2-3k there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Teach30 wrote: »
    I am a full time teacher however I have no savings. Living at home so haven’t been paying rent.

Looking for advice really on what best way to deal with banks considering I have nothing to show for the last few years working.

Never thought I’d see the day when I would be looking to build, as to be honest in my mind I was staying at home and partner would move in but that’s not an option now due to his work.

Thanks in advance .

Sit down, do a budget you can stick too and save for six months then start approaching the banks. What's your plan re deposit? Are you getting help there or do you need to save it?

Sit down, do a budget you can stick too and save for six months then start approaching the banks. What's your plan re deposit? Are you getting help there or do you need to save it?

Ok thanks for that, it’s some way positive at least.

Will be getting help with mortgage deposit but want to create best impression myself also.
    May not have six months to save but will start immediately. I should add I had savings until recently but have put them towards wedding payments, hotel etc.

It’s all very daunting but I’m hoping to put the unnecessary spending aside and banks won’t look upon me too unfavourably then.

• Administrators Posts: 53,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Depends on what type of floor you go for.

We are 130sqm and ours was 7k, that's wood most of downstairs, and carpet the rest of downstairs and upstairs. If you get wood everywhere it'll be more expensive. If you get engineered wood it'll be a lot more expensive.

This doesn't include tiling bathrooms, you can probably add on another 4-5k for tiles and labour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Katie1_14

Can anyone recommend a solicitor in north Dublin please?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

I live in a 4 bed 1800 sq ft 2 storey house. Hallway, kitchen, utility and 3 bathrooms all tiled. Tiles cost us 3k and fitting was covered by PC sum from builders. Carpet on stairs and landing came to to 500 quid, have small kids so didn't spend a fortune.
    Timber flooring everywhere else, a 12mm AC5 laminate that cost us 2500 to buy. Lucky enough to have it fitted by a friend who does that all the time so only cost us 1k.
    As others have said, can be anywhere between 7-10k to floor out a house. With tiles and flooring, if you have left overs, keep some for potential replacement down the line and generally suppliers will take back any full, unopened boxes from you. We managed to get 300 back from tiling and wood floor shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Thanks in advance .

Just how have you no savings with a teacher's salary and no rent?

Time to do some real budgeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Katie1_14 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a solicitor in north Dublin please?

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

A good rule is to take the square footage of the new build, and add a zero to it to get a realistic budget for kitting out the house. Floors, furniture, etc. Of course you could do it cheaper and you could do it more expensive, but ballpark the square footage plus a zero is a reasonable estimate and budget for you to work off.

1,400sq feet = 14 grand
    Etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭f@steddie

Thanks in advance .

How much do you intend to borrow? Check online for the interest rate you'd be eligible for. Use an online calculator to find out what the repayments would be for a mortgage for the amount you wish to borrow at the rate you are eligible for. Save more than that amount for 6 months (the banks will stress test your ability to pay if interest rates rise).

After 6 months talk to the banks.

Another suggestion: Get a variable rate. Switch your mortgage provider after 6 / 12 months. Repeat while banks are giving incentives to do this. Same as you would with your energy / insurance provider.

If you're living at home with no kids you're in an enviable position. This is probably the time of your life when you have the greatest capacity to save. You should probably look to put 60 / 70% of your salary towards your deposit.
    Good luck.

myshirt wrote: »
    A good rule is to take the square footage of the new build, and add a zero to it to get a realistic budget for kitting out the house. Floors, furniture, etc. Of course you could do it cheaper and you could do it more expensive, but ballpark the square footage plus a zero is a reasonable estimate and budget for you to work off.

1,400sq feet = 14 grand
    Etc
    I think that budget is way too low. Of course, depends on what you have to do, but if you've to floor, tile, get blinds, tables, beds, sofas, buy any white goods then you've no chance you're kitting out a 1400sqft house for 14k these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

awec wrote: »
    I think that budget is way too low. Of course, depends on what you have to do, but if you've to floor, tile, get blinds, tables, beds, sofas, buy any white goods then you've no chance you're kitting out a 1400sqft house for 14k these days.

I thought the same - assuming you're not getting mates rates or DIY, I would've thought €10k more, but I guess it depends on how resourceful you are. Can get very good stuff in IKEA or second hand.

What's the norm for appliances when selling a house? Are all appliances usually included (washer, drier, dishwasher, microwave, oven, hob, fridge/freezer)? We're happy enough to include them, but does it need to be negotiated explicitly? Part of sale or cash deal?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

stiofan85 wrote: »
    I thought the same - assuming you're not getting mates rates or DIY, I would've thought €10k more, but I guess it depends on how resourceful you are. Can get very good stuff in IKEA or second hand.

What's the norm for appliances when selling a house? Are all appliances usually included (washer, drier, dishwasher, microwave, oven, hob, fridge/freezer)? We're happy enough to include them, but does it need to be negotiated explicitly? Part of sale or cash deal?

Thanks
    Generally, integrated appliances are included (cooker, hob, dishwasher if integrated) but others aren't. You are free to include them if you like but most buyers will prefer to bring their own white goods (new warrantys etc)

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    shockingly low.

Got a new build in October where the only things included was paint, sanitary ware, kitchen units and tiles in bathrooms. Have easily spent 20k putting in floors, tiles, appliances, beds, shower doors/screens, sofa and chairs, blinds, tons of little bits and pieces like toilet brushes, towel rails, linen baskets, fire extinguishers/blanket etc.

Planning to spend another 5-10k this year doing more this year.

Obviously it depends what sort of quality of goods you get and whether you can get mates rates and stuff but I'd be hesitant to say it's nearer to 10k than 20k.

shockingly low.

Got a new build in October where the only things included was paint, sanitary ware, kitchen units and tiles in bathrooms. Have easily spent 20k putting in floors, tiles, appliances, beds, shower doors/screens, sofa and chairs, tons of little bits and pieces like toilet brushes, towel rails, linen baskets, fire extinguishers/blanket etc.

Planning to spend another 5-10k this year doing more this year.

Obviously it depends what sort of quality of goods you get and whether you can get mates rates and stuff but I'd be hesitant to say it's nearer to 10k than 20k.
    My experience is the same as yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mrnew

Same situation myself, wasn't a problem.

Deposit from parents (5% and other 5% from HTB) and basically no savings ourselves, but good credit rating and 2 years of paying rent.
    No problem at all with PTSB.

Edit: They will want your parents to sign a letter stating that the money is a non repayable gift and that they have no stake in the property. Your solicitor will sort this out for you.

that's perfect as I am paying rent for 5 years now and loans will be cleared in the next 6 months and I am also with PTSB thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

At what point is it a good idea to approach a mortgage broker or our bank? We have been saving €2k every month for almost a year, so we have close to €25k but I think we may need about €33-36k for a deposit? Is too early to have a chat with our bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭wally79

Lux23 wrote: »
    At what point is it a good idea to approach a mortgage broker or our bank? We have been saving €2k every month for almost a year, so we have close to €25k but I think we may need about €33-36k for a deposit? Is too early to have a chat with our bank?

Definitely not

You may even be able to approval in principle with conditions such as a savings target etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

OK, cool. I might organise a chat with our bank so. At least we can see where we stand.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Just how have you no savings with a teacher's salary and no rent?

Time to do some real budgeting.

Thanks great advice.... Very easy spend it when you’ve had no need to save it all along.
    Also teachers salary isn’t what it used to be compared to those now nearing retirement. So yes will start budgeting.

Lux23 wrote: »

At your current rate of saving, you'll have the shortfall saved in 5.5 months. if you get the pre-AIP (as I like to call it) to start talking to Estate Agents etc. by the time you do the full-AIP (where it goes to the underwriters) you'll have what you need (36k).

No harm to have early chats with the bank.

f@steddie wrote: »
    How much do you intend to borrow? Check online for the interest rate you'd be eligible for. Use an online calculator to find out what the repayments would be for a mortgage for the amount you wish to borrow at the rate you are eligible for. Save more than that amount for 6 months (the banks will stress test your ability to pay if interest rates rise).

After 6 months talk to the banks.

Another suggestion: Get a variable rate. Switch your mortgage provider after 6 / 12 months. Repeat while banks are giving incentives to do this. Same as you would with your energy / insurance provider.

If you're living at home with no kids you're in an enviable position. This is probably the time of your life when you have the greatest capacity to save. You should probably look to put 60 / 70% of your salary towards your deposit.
    Good luck.

Thanks very much for the solid advice. Really have no idea what we need to borrow yet and I’m clueless about approaching banks, stress tests etc so appreciate your guidance.

Wasn’t aware of the online calculator so we will look into that and yes will certainly start to save hard now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Thanks in advance .

best thing is to start saving whatever you can now and then start to look at your options c6 months down the line. Does your partner have any savings?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement