Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CG1 form with gain + loss - 4 weeks rule

Options
  • 02-12-2020 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm trying to fill my CG1 form and I'm confused with the 4 weeks rule.

I bought some shares at a price of 22 USD per share last September then I sold them for a share price of 14.9 USD in November, then I re-bought those shares for 15 USD again in same day in November.

Can I use this loss to offset other gains I made?

And one more question please, what if I sold these shares in the future for say 20 USD per share, technically I will be still making a loss so how to calculate CGT for this transaction?

In in the revenue website, it says that Shares bought and sold within a four-week period cannot be offset against other gains. However, as per my understanding I bought the share then I kept it for 4 weeks then I sold it hence I could offset this loss against other gains.

Appreciate your explanation as it's confusing

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LaQuica

If you repurchase shares within four weeks of disposal, any losses on the sale are ringfenced and can only be used against future gains on the sale of the same shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Zoh424

LaQuica wrote: »
    If you repurchase shares within four weeks of disposal, any losses on the sale are ringfenced and can only be used against future gains on the sale of the same shares.

Thanks

Advertisement