Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IAA Student Controller Program 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 topcat44

The last day of interviews is tomorrow (Thursday) as per prior correspondence. Good luck to anyone scheduled.

My interview was last week. I was interviewed at exactly the same time as another candidate, so assuming 2 candidates per hour, 14 a day, 7 days of interviews, roughly 100 total. If they held interviews over the weekend then even more.

My interviewers were really friendly and welcoming, they put me at ease straight away. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Tristan100

Oh wow, didn't realise there would be that many interviewees.

I found a document from 2019 which said they planned to take on only 9 students in 2020, although this may have changed massively due to the events of the last two years.

https://www.iaa.ie/docs/default-source/misc/non-confidential-rp3-iaa-ansp-business-plan.pdf?sfvrsn=f42a00f3_2

My panel were very friendly also but I think I fluffed it, got so nervous, could barely think for the first ten minutes!

Fingers crossed anyway, and best of luck to everyone else still in the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭AnRothar

There is an "updated plan" from July 2021.

Try searching using the

Service Delivery in 2020-21 

and Business Plan 2022-24

prepared by the Irish Aviation Authority’s Air Navigation Service 

Provider covering both En Route and Terminal Services 2020-2024

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Beersmith

No way there is that many per day. Max 8 candidates per day. The interviewer needs breaks/lunch. They need a little time to talk before and after a candidate also. I would say 6 to 8 and I don't think weekends.

So 8 times 7 days would be be a max of 58 but I would say its actually 45-50

I guessed that maybe there was 3 panels before lunch and 3 after (2 at a time), so 12 candidates per day.

84 total.

According to the document above they planned on taking 9 students in 2020 and another 8 after that: So maybe they'll take both these out of the same panel.

So roughly 17 out of 84 will get a place (Probably not all in the same class) around 20%.

My guess! Obviously this is all speculation! I guess I'm trying to keep myself occupied while I wait for the PFO email :)

• Advertisement

Why are you guessing that though. I had an interview at 11.30, was waiting 10min near the room and no one came out from a previous interview. Interview took until 12.35. They would have to discuss and go for lunch.

Maximum they would have 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. So two panels equals a max 8 candidate per day. Maybe 6 as that might be too many per day as they probably only did one set in the afternoon id imagine.

No offence meant but you clearly don't know how interviews work, the interviewers need time pre and post interview.

It would also be ridiculous at this stage to interview so many.

I guess I'd always rather overestimate than underestimate!

I also didn't see anyone going into an interview right before me or right after me (Just the person at the same time as me).

I hope you're right!

Of course not, like I said they have to pre brief together on a candidate and post brief, not to mention piss breaks etc. You just cannot do back to back interviews like that.

I mean you don't have to overestimate at all. It doesn't make a difference what we say here but it can't be that many getting interviewed.

Anyone else mailbox-monitoring? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AlfaTangoCharlie

Constantly 😩

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 MR80

Surely they want to conclude things quickly on their end as well, so I guess the wait won't be that long.

Just got the results in. The first training program will start on 2 August.

I just got an email of rejection

Delighted, I got an email saying I was placed on the panel :)

Hi MR80, did you get asked to do a medical and get given this date?

I'm just asking as I didn't get this information, I was just told I'm on the panel. I guess this means I'm not selected for the first training program?

Me too! Can finally breathe a sigh of relief. Any idea when classes are due to start? In my interview they said they had 2 slots left for the August one, then the next one is early 2023 I believe. Anyone with more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Saz_ie

I have also been placed on the panel!

They told me that based on my place on the panel I will likely be included in the first programme. I will receive more information shortly.

Ah, very well done! I was just told "future vacancies will be filled from the panel".

Congratulations to all who made it and so sorry to anyone who missed out :( I'd say they'll be running the program again soon.

Amazing! Do you mind my asking what place you received? I was told the same as Tristan100 in that “future vacancies will be filled from this panel,” and I’m just trying to work out roughly how long it may take.

• Advertisement

I presume the 2 slots in August are to fill gaps in the SCP18 class that was cancelled and now restarting (2 people must have dropped out?)

“The changes to proposed training schedules are described in more detail from paragraph 3.44 below, cognisant of a maximum class size of 24 staff due to constraints on the availability of simulators, with an expected number of qualifying ATCOs of 18 (i.e. a pass rate of 75%).”

”Four training programmes (SCP17-SCP20) have been plotted out on a monthly basis over the period 2022-2024 ensuring that no two classes are run in parallel and that no more than 18 trainees are expected to graduate per class. Steer recognises that the 11 students on the SCP17 programmed were part way through their training when the course was suspended due to COVID and all 11 trainees are expected to resume training in 2022 in the model, based on information provided by the ANSP.”

From this I take that SCP 18 will be starting August 2022, and with an expected term of 9 months in Shanon, that’ll leave SCP 19 to start somewhere around May 2023, with 24 spaces offered? Then SCP 20 to start Feb 2024?

Information taken from:

Consultation Response Report v3_1 28Sep2021 (Non-Confidential - SENT)

I found this article online from Sept 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 2 topcat44

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tiern11

Placed on the panel in the mid 20s. Hopefully we won't be waiting too long for SCP20.

Am I right in thinking that both SCP19 and SCP20 will be taken from our panel?

I'm <10 on the panel so hoping to be in the first group. May 2023 sounds so long away though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mckclaudia

Hello everyone! Congratulations and commiserations to all receiving word today (: I’m just wondering if anyone has an inside scoop on finding accommodation in Shannon? Is there a “go to” location that students would usually rent in…anyone know?

Would love to know that as well actually

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Solete16

Hi guys, I have created a Whatsapp group for al of us who passed the interview so is easier to talk about it regarding training and accommodation.

please feel free to join and congratulations to all:

https://chat.whatsapp.com/JJdZq9D9XMb5ryF5K2g6Dp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭AnRothar

The local paper is the Clare Champion and it's out every Thursday. Otherwise try daft.ie.

There are a couple of estate agents in the town centre too.

Advertisement