Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Form 11 Questions

• 26-09-2016 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Braving doing my own tax return this year on line - q's that I hope people can help me with.

1 - For medical insurance relief - I am in company scheme and I pay BIK ; do I just enter in the cost of the policy ( ii) - part (iv) is left null right as I am paying BIK ?
    397762.png

2 - I cant be dealing with doing my own calculations so just agreeing to their calcualtions and doing a direct transfer of numbers at the end - can I assume the system is pretty accurate ? Dont want something to come back later .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lockedout2

If the gross premium for an adult is more than €1,000 then the max is €200 so that should be the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

Lockedout2 wrote: »
    If the gross premium for an adult is more than 1,000 then the max is 200 so that should be the answer.
    Oh so the premium ~1600 i think ( awaiting confirmation ) - so I enter 200 euro to part (iv) ?
    thanks for getting back so quickly !

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lockedout2

No the gross premium goes in (II) contributions by you to your employer goes in (iv).

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Timbo1987

Just put in the 1600 in (ii) and the tax calculator on the website will give the max credit of 200.

Leave (iv) empty

thanks all for getting back to me - I left iv empty and seems to be calculating correctly. Before I added the Medical insurance I was showing up as being owed over 1,000 - knew it was too good to be true as this all balanced out once I added the insurance and recaluclated . :(

On last question - the automatic calculation in the system - its pretty accurate right just to accept the figures presented and transfer figures accross?

oh man - tax is hard work ! :angry:

• Advertisement

bumping an old thread - its that time of year ...

Can anyone explain what this section is about in PAYE/BIK/PENSIONS (2)section

Cant remember what the 85 is and if I put it in or if it was automatically put in

"Allowable deductions incurred in Employment"

see attached

This is last one to sort out and its good to go !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭relax carry on

whatever76 wrote: »
    bumping an old thread - its that time of year ...

Can anyone explain what this section is about in PAYE/BIK/PENSIONS (2)section

Cant remember what the 85 is and if I put it in or if it was automatically put in

"Allowable deductions incurred in Employment"

see attached

This is last one to sort out and its good to go !

That is flat rate expenses related to your employment. Given these roll over every year you could have that on your record for cages and may be entitled to higher flat rate expenses or none at depending on your present employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

I am filling out a Form 11 for the first time.

I am leaving the calculated gross income and tax deductions alone as per revenue calculations.

My only other source of income is rental income on a property.

I earned about €9k and had €2k of expenses.

So I was expecting to be charged around 44-44% of €7k or around €3k but revenue is calculating it at €4.5k.

Any idea what is going on here?

I didn't have any other sections to fill in as no pension, medical expenses, no spouse or kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    I am filling out a Form 11 for the first time.

I am leaving the calculated gross income and tax deductions alone as per revenue calculations.

My only other source of income is rental income on a property.

I earned about €9k and had €2k of expenses.

So I was expecting to be charged around 44-44% of €7k or around €3k but revenue is calculating it at €4.5k.

Any idea what is going on here?

I didn't have any other sections to fill in as no pension, medical expenses, no spouse or kids.

You have PAYE income? If so remember you must tick the employee/PAYE tax credit box even though you would already have that on the PAYE side. The F11 entry must still be ticked. That’s 1650 and may be part of the issue.

Stratvs wrote: »
    You have PAYE income? If so remember you must tick the employee/PAYE tax credit box even though you would already have that on the PAYE side. The F11 entry must still be ticked. That’s 1650 and may be part of the issue.

Hi, yes that is accounted for under the Personal Tax Credits section, not sure if it is total coincidence that that's almost the same amount!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Hi, yes that is accounted for under the Personal Tax Credits section, not sure if it is total coincidence that that's almost the same amount!

If you take the PAYE income on it's own does that balance i.e. take out the rents and just leave in the PAYE items and recalculate the F11. if there is a balance to Revenue there then your PAYE for the year was underpaid and that would fall out as part of the issue here.

Stratvs wrote: »
    If you take the PAYE income on it's own does that balance i.e. take out the rents and just leave in the PAYE items and recalculate the F11. if there is a balance to Revenue there then your PAYE for the year was underpaid and that would fall out as part of the issue here.

Hey, thanks for that. When I deleted the rental income section it says I owe 955.

Is that because my employer didn't calculate my tax correctly?

That is flat rate expenses related to your employment. Given these roll over every year you could have that on your record for cages and may be entitled to higher flat rate expenses or none at depending on your present employment.

thanks for your reply - I have not changed employment . Does that mean I leave it in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Hey, thanks for that. When I deleted the rental income section it says I owe 955.

Is that because my employer didn't calculate my tax correctly?

Check your tax credits on your payslip, are they correct?

The employer doesn't make any decisions, they simply use the tax credits supplied to them by the Revenue.

Another form 11 questions- this time relating to claiming the WFH Utility Allowance in 2022. I WFH fulltime so want to avail of the tax claim on household bills.

I entered details in the "Allowable Deductions Incurred in Employments"

• Add 30% value of Utility Bill for 2022 e.g if bill was 1000 euro for the year I entered 300 euro
    • Add 30% value of Broadband

I calculated I worked 225 from home last year.

Select Calculate and a figure as expected got populated in total.

Now I am declaring just dividend income as shares are taxed at source so only income I owe for last year

I go to Self Assessment section and just do the transfer values option to values pre populated .. the money owing on dividends remains the same - should the Utility allowance value be offset against what I owe for 2022 . I was expecting money owed to be reduced do I need to enter the WFH allowance value somewhere else in the form - or have I this all wrong LOL !!

appreciate any help here !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Yes the credit for WFH will be offset against any tax owed on the dividends. All income declared will lead to a tax charge, less the credits you have claimed and at the end will be a balance payable or repayable

I'm not sure what you may be doing wrong. I'd remove the WFH allowance, check the balance due, add it back and then check the balance due again

thanks for reply Surywouldnty - I tried that again as suggested as still not getting deducted final value owing in last page . Ill contact revenue on it - maybe back end issue ? glad to hear I am on right track though ! thanks again.

Post edited by whatever76 on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,657 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are WHF allowances only for PAYE employees?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ca319

yeah if you have self employment income for example you should be claiming working from home expenses in your accounts, light and heat, broadband etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Window1

Do you not put in 100% of the utility and broadband bills and then the number of days worked remotely and the Calculate buttons do the 30% piece OR do I put in the 30% pieces instead of the 100%s? Thanks

• Advertisement

hey- I checked this with revenue myself and yes its 30% of the yearly bill. - You are correct it is 30% of the total utility bill.

When you add the no of days worked select Calculate and it will give you a figure - you then need to add this figure to the the very last box 'amount referring to Employment income/salary' - this should match what was calculated for it to get picked at the end when system calculates tax owing. I had this nil and it was not getting calculated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

How does one WFH allowances for previous is years in form 11?

And for the 2022 tax year, how far back can one go in inputting those allowances?

Advertisement