Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History and Structure of Irish Education Exam for foreign-trained teachers

• 20-02-2010 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi, the Teaching Council requires me to sit this exam in May as I am a secondary teacher who trained in England. I was wondering

a) Has anyone sat this exam and if so how hard is it?
    b) How much would you be expected to write for each question?
    c) How many of the titles on the reading list do you need to study to prepare for the exam?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

have you seen the past papers on the teaching council website?

And my own question: Can you sit this exam before you do a PGCE in England or do you have to wait until after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 patsie123

Hi, yes they sent me some past exam questions so I do have an idea of what's going to come up. Was just hoping to find someone who has done the exam for a bit of insight.

I did the PGCE and worked in England for a year, then moved over here and applied to the TC for recognition. They processed my application and only when they were satisfied with it did they give me a date to sit the exam. So I would guess that you need to do the PGCE first and go through the motions of applying for recognition before you can sit the exam.

Might be best to contact the Teaching Council. They are very particular so it's best to always check with them what you can or can't do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 hugs&xxx

Hey i sat the exam last november. I did the PGCE too and had to send all my documents for recognition before they allowed me to sit it. They still havent registered me its such a long process and they require so much paperwork!
    All the past exam questions are on their website. For each essay you are expected to write around 2/3 pages so I just wrote anyting I know on that topic and did enough to pass. I only studied for around a week before the exam and it was enough to pass.
    The book History and Structure of Irish education system by John coolihan has all the information in it. I have a copy of it if anyone wants it so pm me if you need any other help on the exam, or send a reply and I could always post it to you I dont need it now anyway!

Hey, thanks for that. Your post was very helpful. Have actually ordered that book already cos it seemed like the most useful.

Did you get a letter from the TC beforehand to tell you when the exam is on and all that? They told me I can do mine in May, but I don't have anything in writing and I think you need to present something on the day.

Another question, I've been working in a secondary school here since Oct 2008 and am paid as an unqualified teacher. I was told by someone that once I get registered, I can claim back money because technically I was qualified all along due to the PGCE. Do you know anything about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

patsie123 wrote: »

Did you get a letter from the TC beforehand to tell you when the exam is on and all that? They told me I can do mine in May, but I don't have anything in writing

It says on their website the next exam is 10 April in NUIM. They hold it twice a year so unless the other one is in May, I'm guessing you are on 10 April.

• Advertisement

Glad you told me that, I was told last autumn that it would be in May. Better book my place so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 hugs&xxx

Hey,
    Yeh I got a letter about a few weeks before the exam stating date and time and directions to exam hall, you should get yours end of march hopefully once you register. Id say register as soon as you can.
    Im the same having been working in a secondary school since september but have been paid the unqualified rate. I have rang up about this and as I am still getting my qualifications recognised by the teaching council will not get the qualified rate until they recognise my qualifications and then register me so could be the end of the school year before this happens. However I heard also I should be able to claim back but still unclear about this also, have heard mixed answers to this. Even if I could claim back for some of the months wouldnt be too bad but yes it is very annoying they dont deem us qualified until we get recognised over here.
    Noone in the department of the teaching council has given me a final answer on this. If i find out anything more i will let you know. Also the results of that exam should be released about 6 weeks after you sit it, so not waiting too long!

Great, thanks a lot for your help. Will let you know if I hear anything re payment as well. All the best with your registration!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RxxxCxxxTxxx

Hi

I am sitting the history and structure of the irish education exam for foreign - trained teachers in a few weeks and I was wondering if anyone has notes or information that they could share as I am starting to panic, please help

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭NoelleTh

Hi,
    I sat the exam last November and I did very little study for it, I literally wrote everything I knew on both topics down and I passed! I still have the notes I studied from so just pm me and I'll forward them on to anyone who wants them!

Re the teaching council and getting your money refunded, I was still being paid the unqualified rate after I had been recognised and I had to do all the chasing to get it back BUT I did get it back! You will only get it back from the September of the school year you do the exam i.e. if you do it in April 2012 you should get it refunded from September 2011. I hope I explained that well but all things Teaching Council seem to be very complicated :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 teachin

Hi sitting this exam in may anybody have any notes that i could study please.... think it all just a money racket for teaching council ....

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Empsey

I did the exam November 2011 and it was easy enough but does require study as I have never heard of the Acts before. I got backpay but my friend who registered and was due back back post Jan 2012 did not get any refund so I think the rules have changed. The TC are a pain and are as slow as Christmas.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

teachin wrote: »
    Hi sitting this exam in may anybody have any notes that i could study please.... think it all just a money racket for teaching council ....
    Welcome ot the Irish teaching world!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MAOB

Hi I am sitting the exam next week and would really really appreciate your notes !!! I have been working thankfully since september so I haven't had any chance to study ? It would be so much help !!! Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 1 teacherciara

Trying to go through past exam questions here and not coming up with much of a pattern. Anyone else have any luck trying to predict what will come up??

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nadzk76

NoelleTh wrote: »
    Hi,
    I sat the exam last November and I did very little study for it, I literally wrote everything I knew on both topics down and I passed! I still have the notes I studied from so just pm me and I'll forward them on to anyone who wants them!

Re the teaching council and getting your money refunded, I was still being paid the unqualified rate after I had been recognised and I had to do all the chasing to get it back BUT I did get it back! You will only get it back from the September of the school year you do the exam i.e. if you do it in April 2012 you should get it refunded from September 2011. I hope I explained that well but all things Teaching Council seem to be very complicated :rolleyes:
    Hi NoelleTh,

I was wondering whether you still had the notes that you studied from for the history and structure exam? If so, would you be willing to send them to me as well? I would really appreciate them.

I was supposed to sit the exam last month but I didn't feel prepared enough, so I have now deferred til the Nov exam.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tambi

Did you manage to get any notes for this exam? Which books should I get?
    I want to take this exam next November and any advice would be great!
    I'm teaching science in London but my wife (Irish) would love to go back home to Ireland!

I am sitting the history and structure of the irish education exam for foreign - trained teachers in a few weeks and I was wondering if anyone has notes or information that they could share as I am starting to panic, please help[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Galwaypest

Hi everyone,
    I am new to this forum and I am just wondering would anyone still have notes and or essays on the History and Structure of the Irish Education System exam? I am teaching over in the U.K. and am due to sit the exam in November. I have John Coolahan's book, but it doesn't seem to address all the possible topic questions that may appear in the exam! Please help me

I would very appreciatitive of your help !!!!

Thank you,
    Galwaypest

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bubbs86

Hi all
    really beginning to panic about this exam, doing it in November and haven't opened the book yet. does anybody have any notes or tips as to how to pass this exam?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

bubbs86 wrote: »
    Hi all
    really beginning to panic about this exam, doing it in November and haven't opened the book yet. does anybody have any notes or tips as to how to pass this exam?!!

Tip: try opening the books and do a bit of study rather than expecting someone to hand you the answers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Pm me your email address and I'll forward on my notes from a few years ago.

I've forwarded them on to over 30 posters on the forum already & they seem to help get the job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 brigidmorgan

Hi
    I am sitting this exam in a couple of weeks. I am not sure what to expect. I was wondering would you be ble to send me your notes.I would be very grateful.
    NoelleTh wrote: »
    Hi,

Hi
    I am sitting this exam in a few weeks. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.How much do you need to write etc.

PM me your email address & ill send you on my notes

Hi Inspector Coptoor
    Thanks so much.

email removed - please send it in a Private Message (PM)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 v086

PM me your email address & ill send you on my notes

Hi Inspector Coptoor - I would really appreciate if you would send me a copy of your notes also please. Would really help - exam next week!! Thanks a lot.

Send me a private message with your email address & ill pass them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 v086

Wow, thank you so much. You're fab!:) PM sent, let me know if you don't get it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lmck660

Hi,

I have moved back to Ireland after training and teaching in the UK for 6 years. I am currently going through the registration process with the Teaching Council. I'd planned on not doing the exam until April however have found out that I will be paid at the unqualified rate so I am going to sit the November exam.

I've had a look at the past questions and reading list but would be very grateful if anyone could give me any tips regarding preparation, specific books, etc.

any advice at all would be much appreciated.

L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 lmck660

Send me a private message with your email address & ill pass them on.

Would you be able to send me your notes too please? :)

Advertisement