Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best exercises to reduce belly fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

carbsy wrote: »
    I think the poster meant smaller plates to eat food off!?!?!? :D

funny you mention that. I have been eating dinner off a side plate at times. Supposedly the brain feels full when we dont see white space on the plate. When I used it, I think I generally ate the same amount as a big plate, but what changed was I never went in for seconds...so there is something too it.

Thanks for all the advice folks. Actually put on a few pounds recently so going to put in a month of heavy discipline, then back to my regular routine with the goal of a pound a week for a year.
    No beer, No snacks after 7 (both my nemesis) and aim to not go over 1700 cals a day. Will try to keep active along the way.
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

In the beginning, I was doing planks roughly but it didn't work for me. Then I started doing ball planks and found them very helpful. Though it is also tough but it works on belly fat. However, you can also start using honey, lemon, ginger and cinnamon tea before going to bed. Even the use of honey and ginger tea is also very effective. This tea should be a water one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

In the beginning, I was doing planks roughly but it didn't work for me. Then I started doing ball planks and found them very helpful. Though it is also tough but it works on belly fat. However, you can also start using honey, lemon, ginger and cinnamon tea before going to bed. Even the use of honey and ginger tea is also very effective. This tea should be a water one.

Effective at kickstarting the fat burning effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Effective at kickstarting the fat burning effect?

My experience says it is only a very strict diet which can lead kickstarting the fat burning. Last month, I did a very low calories diet and it helped me. But, I can't say it is the best remedy for belly fat because belly fat goes at the end and it is the most challenging fat of the body :p

My experience says it is only a very strict diet which can lead kickstarting the fat burning. Last month, I did a very low calories diet and it helped me. But, I can't say it is the best remedy for belly fat because belly fat goes at the end and it is the most challenging fat of the body :p

No planks or any magic homemade potion will reduce belly fat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Amazing! And like fools we've all been focusing on what we eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cfc88

I think the best is fasted cardio then hit the abs sit ups crunches etc straight after .Also for best results eat clean always and stay away from beer .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

cfc88 wrote: »
    I think the best is fasted cardio then hit the abs sit ups crunches etc straight after .Also for best results eat clean always and stay away from beer .

Good point on ht clean eating and beer, think if you want your abls to stand out then you will need to work them hard (like any other muscle group), probably be too weak after fasted cardio, would suggest the other way around, maybe?

I can't get off the beer that's the killer for me as well read your probably best off with whisky or vod instead .A few guinness after a hard weeks training probably about 4 is good for you I read .I would say any hiit training then finish off with some sit ups , crunches , leg raises , barbell roll outs etc . The higher the intensity you train at the more fat you burn .

Burpee conditioning
    Dumbell swings
    Jump rope
    Shadow boxing h--t
    Tabata intervals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

From my expierence of losing my big belly was keeping my diet as clean as possible better food choices across the board a few treats but i got best results from a clean food week regardless of the amount of exercise i did which was mainly cycling .My overall diet is much better now and i found lots of good food choices along the way that to me is the only way to lose and keep off for good as long as you keep your diet clean .

• Advertisement

It’s like people didn’t read the posts on here about what actually works.
    Diet - calorie deficit
    Diet - calorie deficit
    Diet - calorie deficit

Planks, running, Tabitha circuits, sit ups,‘cycling do not reduce belly fat.

Would agree it's mainly diet but exercise has plenty of benefits I feel also gives you a little wriggle room on your diet huge changes are difficult for most to maintain . It's a lifestyle change to lose and keep weight off that is needed and for a lot of people not so easy .

Would agree it's mainly diet but exercise has plenty of benefits I feel also gives you a little wriggle room on your diet huge changes are difficult for most to maintain . It's a lifestyle change to lose and keep weight off that is needed and for a lot of people not so easy .

Yes but it doesn’t burn fat.

was really just my expierence of dropping two jean sizes through improved diet and i got into cycling cannot pinpoint exactly what may have worked over something else but the belly went and has not returned and as others have said the belly was last to go .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Exercise is great and everyone should for general health. And of course it will burn calories.

But the biggest driver of weight loss will be diet.

And the best exercise is the one you enjoy because you will be more likely to do it regularly.

Martial arts stretching is good Muay Thai MMA etc .I worked on some flexibilty it hits the obliques reduces belly fat .Plenty of vids in youtube Muay Thai flexibility try and get to full split high kick level it takes months to get kick to head level you need the flexibility and strenght .

You could join a boxing MMA Muay Thai gym probably your best bet for fat burning depending on age condition etc you might not be fight level but the fight game probably the best fitness ,Check this guys books Katie Taylors trainer he's got some good training techniques and books never gymless 1 dollar , infinite intensity , full throttle conditoning and low tech high effect core taining.

https://rosstraining.com/blog/store/

Martial arts stretching is good Muay Thai MMA etc .I worked on some flexibilty it hits the obliques reduces belly fat.Plenty of vids in youtube Muay Thai flexibility try and get to full split high kick level it takes months to get kick to head level you need the flexibility and strenght .

Martial arts stretching doesn't reduce belly fat outside of the impact of burning a few calories.

Also, being flexible and mobile enough to do a head level high kick doesn't burn belly fat in and of itself either.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Exercise helps increase energy burned (TDEE). Making it easier to achieve a deficit. But ultimately weight loss its still down to diet.

Exercise, whether its running, cycling, etc. Won't target the belly soecifically over any other exercise.
    Martial arts stretching is good Muay Thai MMA etc .I worked on some flexibilty it hits the obliques reduces belly fat.

Stretching burns very little energy and in no way helps burn belly fat.

I think with every exercise plan that shows the person in it looking fantastic has a bit in the small print that to get results it has to in conjunction with a balanced diet .

• Advertisement

I think with every exercise plan that shows the person in it looking fantastic has a bit in the small print that to get results it has to in conjunction with a balanced diet .

Yes, which means the exercise itself will burn calories, not fat, which put you in a calorie deficit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

I think nothing beats good aerobic swimming tbh. It exercises practically every muscle in your body, is non inflammatory, is very time efficient and even the action of the water on your body is beneficial for overall health.

Good diet (low gi, high veg, lean protein), regular vigorous aerobic exercise & some resistance training is the best combo for 99% of us. Belly fat is only a symptom of a legacy combo of too many wrong calories (e.g. sugar, beer) & too little exercise, reset your diet & exercise regime & this will eventually be assimilated by your body as it decides it needs the calories stored there... Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Martial arts stretching is good Muay Thai MMA etc .I worked on some flexibilty it hits the obliques reduces belly fat .Plenty of vids in youtube Muay Thai flexibility try and get to full split high kick level it takes months to get kick to head level you need the flexibility and strenght .

This thread is getting good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

JayRoc wrote: »
    This thread is getting good.

It's the thread that just won't die

High intensity abseiling through the medium of interpretive dance is the best exercise for shifting fat and also for toning.

High intensity abseiling through the medium of interpretive dance is the best exercise for shifting fat and also for toning.

Ah, sure I've been doing that for years. :D

Ah, sure I've been doing that for years. :D

:)

You've been given all the advice you need on exercises at this point. Just do something you enjoy

:)

You've been given all the advice you need on exercises at this point. Just do something you enjoy

Yeah, that's sound advice man. I would play soccer until my legs fell off, but ask me to go jogging for a while, no thanks.
    Was hoping to find something out I might have been missing and I did get a few pointers, but appreciate all the different advice.
    Put a few lbs back on so need to get my head together again. the diet side of things is very much a game of discipline.

Cheers all.

Yeah, that's sound advice man. I would play soccer until my legs fell off, but ask me to go jogging for a while, no thanks.
    Was hoping to find something out I might have been missing and I did get a few pointers, but appreciate all the different advice.
    Put a few lbs back on so need to get my head together again. the diet side of things is very much a game of discipline.

Cheers all.

You'll get more physically from playing football because you'll do it more than anything someone tells you might be more beneficial for calorie burn.

And that's why the diet bit is harder...if the exercise is enjoyable, the discipline with diet is harder. But it's often just a case of finding what works for you and it becomes less about discipline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Crossfit HQ want their forbidden secrets back

Advertisement