Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Authorization Zones

• 26-11-2020 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

I am strongly tempted by the new mini 2 but looking at the map I am right on the edge of the Authorization Zone for Dublin airport, my house is 100% within it. Does this mean the drone will not fly at all or will I just get a warning. It would be my first time buying one of these but if I can not get a bit of low level practice in the back garden there is no point in getting it. Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

I am strongly tempted by the new mini 2 but looking at the map I am right on the edge of the Authorization Zone for Dublin airport, my house is 100% within it. Does this mean the drone will not fly at all or will I just get a warning. It would be my first time buying one of these but if I can not get a bit of low level practice in the back garden there is no point in getting it. Ta

You may need to travel to a safe area before using it, or use it inside your property.

I don’t know much about the authorization zones or how they operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

If it's a DJI Authorization Zone (The blue area) then no, the controller will not allow you take off.

You get around this by requesting a DJI unlocking code that lasts only 24 hours on the date you request.
    They require a good deal of personal information about you which is fine if you are a certified operator, not so a hobbyist as you're basically just creating evidence as to where and when you broke the law IF you got into trouble on that flight.

Legally speaking you can fly to 15m in class C airspace, but DJI are taking no chances these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

That's that so, thanks. Pity as I am literally about 100m inside the Airport blue zone
    Thanks

Advertisement