Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Euro Gold and Silver Commemorative coins

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    Nothing as yet, the only communication I have has is an email to say the order was successful and will be processed when the technical difficulties are sorted. The money that was pending has now been taken so hopefully won't be too long before arrival.

Same as

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ajmorno

It’s been two weeks now and no word - be plenty of unhappy people if they don’t arrive before Christmas - anyone received theirs yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Shelmalier

ajmorno wrote: »
    It’s been two weeks now and no word - be plenty of unhappy people if they don’t arrive before Christmas - anyone received theirs yet?

I received mine in the post yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Yeah received on Monday, sorry ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ajmorno

Hopefully shall arrive this week so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Did it come in plain packaging? Asking as mine is a present for the other half and I'm hoping it will come when I'm at home, rather than him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 NiallArmstrong

Hi there,

I'm happy to exchange a Phil Lynott coin for one of last year's Rory Gallagher coins if anybody is interested....PM me

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Hi there,

I'm happy to exchange a Phil Lynott coin for one of last year's Rory Gallagher coins if anybody is interested....PM me

Niall

Are you swapping a Phil Lynott coin or do you have a Rory coin to swap?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Sitamoia

I also have a Phil Lynott, looking to swap for a Rory if anyone has one? Has to be in pristine condition, PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 22 NiallArmstrong

Ha. Sorry. I can see that my message was unclear.

I have an extra Phil Lynott coin but I missed out on the Rory one last year, so I'd swap a Phil Lynott coin directly for a Rory one if anybody was interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

I got my 3 Phil Lynott's today, twas a long wait, although I'm overseas. Nice enough coins and the box is a nice touch. I must have been one of the lucky ones as my ordering process was fairly smooth, hung a few times and was using a foreign credit card as well. Got an order confirmation email within 5 minutes.

The bubble wrap envelope they came in was a bit disappointing though, fully expected the boxes to be damaged seeing as it had been in transit since 9th December but somehow they were grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Crikey, no fewer than 21 coins currently for sale on eBay. Given that there were only 3000 minted and there's 87 already sold on that platform alone, is it fair to say that most were bought as short term investments? The maximum price reached so far is EUR 617.98 while the lowest was EUR 100 + postage. Not too bad for less than a month in circulation, although the average price has dropped substantially with each passing week and its just over 200 now.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sirdeclan

Anyone willing to exchange a 2007 Ivan Mestrovic Coin for a Phil Lynott coin?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Elegant Chaos

Apologies if this isn't the right thread for this, but I'm sure someone here could give some advice. My later father collected a number of euro commemorative coins - mainly from 2006 to 2017. My mother has asked me to look in to valuation of these with a view to possibly selling them. What is the best way of going about this? If I were to attend the International Coin Fair in the RDS this month, could I just bring them along for valuation? Would I be better directly approaching individual dealers for a valuation? Is it possible to recommend dealers on boards? Any suggestions appreciated.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Apologies if this isn't the right thread for this, but I'm sure someone here could give some advice. My later father collected a number of euro commemorative coins - mainly from 2006 to 2017. My mother has asked me to look in to valuation of these with a view to possibly selling them. What is the best way of going about this? If I were to attend the International Coin Fair in the RDS this month, could I just bring them along for valuation? Would I be better directly approaching individual dealers for a valuation? Is it possible to recommend dealers on boards? Any suggestions appreciated.

Best to bring them to the coin fair and any of the dealers or the Numismatics Society or Dublin Coin Auctions will give you an idea of price. Keep in mind though that if these coins were collected from circulation they will have little or no value above face. If they were mint uncirculated, that's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1116967/

Why on earth are RTÉ promoting these blagaurds!

Anyone hear of this years set yet (if at all?)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fantafanta

Hi.
    Does anyone know when the Luke Kelly silver coin will be released please?
    I only see the 2020 baby set and annual mint sets available on the website at the moment.
    https://www.collectorcoins.ie/en/annual-mint-set-2020.html
    https://www.collectorcoins.ie/en/baby-set-2020.html

Thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

fantafanta wrote: »
    Hi.
    Does anyone know when the Luke Kelly silver coin will be released please?
    I only see the 2020 baby set and annual mint sets available on the website at the moment.

I haven't heard anything yet anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Danco

Hi folks, I've recently gotten interested in Irish proof euro coins and I bought the Dracula coin from the central bank a week or so ago. Having received it I notice that the cardboard slipcase that goes over the box is not labelled at all (I've seen elsewhere that the older coin issues had the name of the coin printed on the slipcase and some more recent ones have a sticker applied to the slipcase). Can anyone tell me whether the Dracula coin had labelled slipcases? I'm wondering if I got a dud.

Also, there's no notch in the tray that holds the coin in place which makes it very difficult to remove the capsule from the box - is this standard for this coin and were they all issued this way? I've had a look around to try to find out myself but it's hard to tell whether there's a notch or not in the photographs that I've seen of the coin because the tray inside the box is black and wouldn't show up a notch too clearly even if it was there.

Any clarity on these two (admittedly minor) issues would be appreciated!

Danco wrote: »
    Any clarity on these two (admittedly minor) issues would be appreciated!

I don't have the Dracula coin to confirm. But the presentation packing from the Central Bank changes all the time. More than likely you have the correct packing for that coin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Danco

Blade wrote: »
    I don't have the Dracula coin to confirm. But the presentation packing from the Central Bank changes all the time. More than likely you have the correct packing for that coin.

Thanks for the swift response Blade, I appreciate it. I'd say you're right and that the packaging is as standard. Having seen the recent post about the sticker on the 100 Years of Transatlantic Aviation slipcase I just got to wondering about the Dracula one. I also bought the Ha'penny Bridge coin in my CB order and that has a notch in the tray which makes checking out the obverse side of the coin a whole lot easier! Thanks again for the reply.

The luke Kelly coin release has been delayed until next year due to supply chain delays. I'm assuming that the same is going for the other coin releases.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/1106/1176474-luke-kelly-coin/

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CarPark2

Not sure if you already dealt with this, but just in case.....
    These commemorative coins are also sold on Adverts etc. For example: https://www.adverts.ie/coins/ireland-boxed-bram-stoker-dracula-silver-proof-coin-cert/20415462
    You could take a look for the coins that you have and get an idea of the price that they generally go for. Also, double check the central bank website to see if they are still for sale (https://www.collectorcoins.ie/en/shop/type.html). Most have already sold out, but if one of yours is still available, the price you get will likely be less than the price of a new one from the Central bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Shelmalier

I think the advice earlier is sound. I'm no expert but here a few other thoughts. You could ask one of the auction houses in Dublin (Whytes do coins) to value them for you and see if you'd be interested in them auctioning them for you as a collection. However, I remember hearing that you're unlikely to do as well if you sell them as one collection compared to selling them individually - maybe some others in here would have a view on that? Finally you can calculate the total gold and silver content of the coins and calculate total value at spot gold and silver prices - they're worth more as coins especially if they're scarce and sought after but if gives an indicative 'worst case' value of what you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭scheister

Does any one have any idea when the 2021 coins are likely to be released?

The 2021 annual mint set and baby set are available on the central bank website collectorcoins.ie. Still no sign of anything on gold and silver releases yet scheister. Sorry, I can't post you the link, but it seems like my access level has been reduced to remove that option.

New silver coin on Central bank website. It's a silver 2020 Gothic Architecture coin, with issue limit of 2000 coins. it looks nice.

The Europa Star Series is a unique coin programme that was first launched in 2004, bringing various European monetary institutions together around a common theme. The current theme for the Europa Star series is “Great Ages of Europe” and has been running from 2016–2020. These ages are linked to the architecture celebrated on the €20–€500 Euro bank notes. The 2020 issue will celebrate Dublin’s Christ Church Cathedral under the theme of ‘Gothic Architecture’.

• Advertisement

Advertisement