Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What laptop/processor do I need?

• 02-12-2020 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi all.

So I'm gonna have to get a new laptop. My other one is bust.

But I have NO idea about them. Could someone help?

Heres what I do know:
    - I've always had a "windows" laptop... not sure if that's important.
    - Its used for researching school projects, sometimes a college project for me and I use Microsoft word to type stuff up.
    - Only game that would really be on it is Age of Empires... the disc game. Not online (not even sure if there is an online one)
    - Want to get the kids the Mavis Beacon typing disc
    - It would be great if it had a number pad too... Instead of just numbers on the top.
    - To burn cds

I'll probably use it to store pictures, my son wants to write out his "movie script" that's hes come up with.

I just need something that'll do the job. But when I go online they are asking about core processors and apple and mac and stuff. I havent the foggiest what I need.

Help!

Comments

very few laptops come with dvd readers / cd burners these days but it's cheap to buy a usb one (20 euro)

I would go that way - otherwise you're literally limiting your choice by about .. 98%

also full number pads are also fairly rare - there is someone here who is a big fan of them - no doubt he will be on

would a usb numberpad be acceptable or not?

what is your max budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭CaoinDory

glasso wrote: »
    very few laptops come with dvd readers / cd burners these days but it's cheap to buy a usb one (20 euro)

I would go that way - otherwise you're literally limiting your choice by about .. 98%

also full number pads are also fairly rare - there is someone here who is a big fan of them - no doubt he will be on

would a usb numberpad be acceptable or not?

what is your max budget?

Oh the number pad isnt essential... just thought is would be nice. Ha. I dont actually need one.

I dont want to spend a huge amount. Coming up to xmas I already have a budget for other stuff. I just need something to get us by. Nothing fancy.

Didnt realise that about the CD burner either. But again it's not essential. Just an extra I thought of. If it doesnt have one I dont really care.

so.. max budget?

this for 400 is decent. seems to be be for delivery only. stock runs out there frequently on this sort of price range so if serious would act quickly

the cpu is decent. has the usual ssd which is obviously way faster than the spinning hdd's of the past

there is nothing 1/2 reasonable below that. unless you risk 2nd-hand on adverts.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15s-eq1535na-15-6-laptop-amd-athlon-128-gb-ssd-white-10212878-pdt.html

order a 4gb ddr4 sodimm 2400mhz on amazon to bring it up to 8gb. only costs about 15 euro

simple - screwdriver and click into place

as said you can buy a cd/ dvd drive cheap later to plug is usb if needed.

as a bonus it actually has a number pad!

out of stock now I see....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭CaoinDory

glasso wrote: »
    out of stock now I see....

Wow that's insane how fast they go! I'll keep my eye out for something like that though. Once I know what it is I'm looking for. Thank you!

Advertisement