Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do i get sky upstairs with one sky box?

• 19-01-2009 2:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

hey total techno idiot here. we have sky downstairs one plan old box. is ther a way to get sky in an upstairs bedroom without a second skybox? whats the best and easiest way to do it? can i do it without wires? can i control the tv when im upstairs? i dont have any connections in the bedroom? do i need to get an aerial socket in the room?any help would be great!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Coax cable from RF2 on box with "Sky Eye" dongle (many shops, with or without 2nd Remote) on upstairs TV aerial socket. No Stereo.

OR
    video Sender (no wires) uses 2.4GHz for Video on Ch A, B, C or D and reverse 433MHz for Remote. You have a little IR LED dongle on transmitter (which is plugged into SCART) in front of Sky box and point the existing Sky Remote at Receiver upstairs. You need SCART on upstairs TV, but it will do Stereo and better video if signal is OK.

WiFi and Video senders interfere with each other easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Bender's Game

thanks but eh i dont really get what your talking about? where would i get the wireless stuff, no aerial socket upstairs what so ever. how do i get an aerial socket installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

He is talking about a wireless transmitter that you can get to send the signal from the skybox to another TV in another room. You can change the channels in the other room but you will still have to watch the same channel on both TVs. These can be bought in any TV store. You need a scart socket on the second TV.

If you put a coax cable from RF2 socket on Digibox to RF socket on back of TV upstairs, then "Sky eye" goes on Aerial socket on back of TV.

In both cases same channel on both TVs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

thanks but eh i dont really get what your talking about? where would i get the wireless stuff, no aerial socket upstairs what so ever. how do i get an aerial socket installed?

http://avsender.co.uk/ is one of the brands who manufacture the wireless solution (they are available via Argos). Their website shows how it connects and operates.

I use it at home and it works fine - apart from when the microwave interferes.

I also use a home wi-fi setup for internet but have made sure the avsender and wifi are at different ends of 2.4 ghz

• Advertisement

However that's not possible in Turbo G mode, MiMo or with newer "N" type WiFi as they use too many WiFi channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

watty wrote: »
    If you put a coax cable from RF2 socket on Digibox to RF socket on back of TV upstairs, then "Sky eye" goes on Aerial socket on back of TV.

In both cases same channel on both TVs.

can I have the television turned off downstairs and then use the remote upstairsin the bedroom to change the channells

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭John mac

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

****** now do a 5.4GHz video sender that works a treat for me. I had tried two different models that interfered with my wireless network (and all the neighbour's networks as well) but this is working without a bother. The remote control sending works nicely as well.

Except those are TOTALLY illegal in Ireland.

That band is only for WiFi and Licence free registered Wireless Broadband here.

Only 2.4GHz Video Senders are legal here. See Comreg's web site.

Similarly the PMR446 Walkie Talkies are LEGAL here, but not every EU country. The Video Senders may have faked CE mark, or be marked CE instead of CE /!\ They may be legal in UK as Ofcom does not have registered Licence Free 5.x GHz band Wireless ISPs.

The 802.11a Wifi uses 5,.xGHz. 802.11b and 802.11g use 2.4GHz and 802.11n WiFi uses either/both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Bender's Game

alright so how do i get an aerial socket upstairs,since the wireless things will mess up the wifi from the broadband.

without an aerial socket upstairs is the wireless my only option? this is all going a little over my head so a bit less technical would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭John mac

you need to put in some cable.

something like this
    from your sky box to the tv.

if you are not happy doing this i suggest you get a friend to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mlo

I've tried both methods (av sender and Coax/magic eye)

The coax cable and Magic eye setup is way better, of course the disadvantage is that you will have to run an additional cable.

Advertisement