Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

156 v Celica?

• 06-08-2008 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

Looking for opinions on buying a used motor.

I've got between 10 - 12k depending on what I get selling my own POS.
    Have no kids, just a disapproving mrs.

Have been looking at either a celica or an Alfa 156.
    Having drove a 99 almera and polo for the last few years I'm hoping to buy something that's 'fun' to drive and has a bit of grunt.

I do minimal mileage a year (about 7.5k miles tops.)
    I'm leaning towards the Alfa for a few reasons - I go fishing as often as I can get out, although it's a small amount of gear there's no way I could get the rods in the celica. Also not big on models with a spoiler which seem harder to come by, although I test drove the celica and loved it, ha

But my more mechanically versed mates have scoffed at buying a used Alfa!

Any opinions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Have you driven an Alfa 156 yet? If not, do.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

12k would get a whole load of Alfa. The 156 would be my choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭Barr

An "interesting" thread not so long ago was comparing a Passat v Celica - all I can say the 156 is a far better adversary to the Celica

Personally i'd have the Celica cause I think it edges it on looks. Also the boot being a hatch should'nt pose any problems for your fishing gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Anan1 wrote: »
    Have you driven an Alfa 156 yet? If not, do.

Am off out on Sunday, It's a 1.6 where as I was looking for a 1.8 with a bit more bhp. But would give me an idea of the drive I hope.

Edit - Also is there a huge gulf between the 1.6 and 1.8 (can't seem to find the BHP difference on google.)

Given that the 156 wil be cheaper to buy than a Celica, and that larger engined ones are cheaper, I'd take the hit on tax and insurance and aim high with the 156 model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

How does this grab you for half your budget:
    CB4_1109569_6_489444.jpg

que bella macchina ! (2003 2.0 liter) and no hassle with the rods either
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Alfa-Romeo/156/2.0-JTS/1109569/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭Barr

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Given that the 156 wil be cheaper to buy than a Celica, and that larger engined ones are cheaper, I'd take the hit on tax and insurance and aim high with the 156 model.

This is a good point , since the Alfa depreciates quite heavily they make great bargains second hand

there's no way those alloys are only 15". lovely car, always liked the Sportwagon.

and there'll be money left over for surprises!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

A-Trak wrote: »
    Am off out on Sunday, It's a 1.6 where as I was looking for a 1.8 with a bit more bhp. But would give me an idea of the drive I hope.

Edit - Also is there a huge gulf between the 1.6 and 1.8 (can't seem to find the BHP difference on google.)
    From memory, the 1.6 and the 1.8 are both very revvy, the 2.0 is a fair bit smoother and more 'grown-up'. If you like any of them, you'll like all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I had the same dilemma, albeit a 147 vs Celica rather than a 156.

Drove both, pondered about, looked at a few of each, went for the Alfa. Got a lovely top spec Lusso 147 for a few grand less than a high mileage Celica and have never regretted my decison. theres just something more classy about the Alfa, plus the Tspark sounds amazing. although when i do change cars next i'll be getting the celica.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭harlem

I think 156's are gorgeous and very nice to drive but v weak engine and seem to be prone to seriously faulty electrical problems.

We've had 2 of them, the first one was gorgeous, rosso red, cream leather interior & a very smooth drive but it spent more time in the garage than on the road, no exaggeration!

Spent a grand getting it fully serviced including new timing belt, spark plugs etc, came out of the garage with a fault light on and took 3 more trips to the Alfa garage (which is an hours drive away!) til it got sorted.

My other half's brother had one too, very similar problems, its off the road at the moment because he can't afford to keep paying for it to be repaired!

Check out www.parkers.co.uk - I was tempted to buy another 156 recently because I love their styling but see how many negative owners reviews there are of them.
    The one that decided it for me was the customers review where they posted a photo of their alfa on the back of a tow truck on the way to be scrapped :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The 156 is not as practical as you might think. I just got rid of mine after nearly 3 years for that very reason. The rear seats do not fold on the saloon but there is a ski flap behind the the arm rest which does allow you carry some longer items and may prove enough for your fishing rods. The estate overcomes this problem with the seats folding.
    The 1.8 from 1998 to 2001 was 144bhp but from 2001 on that was reduced to 140bhp due to the addition of an extra catalytic converter and revised ignition system to meet emissions regulations. The 1.6 has 120bhp, the 2.0 twin spark has 155bhp and the 2.0jts has 165bhp.
    Mechanically, they're not as scary as some people would have you think. I think mechanics sometimes play up their tempremental reputation to justify charging customers extra. The engine does burn oil at what might seem like an alarming rate coming from an almera but this is normal so you need to check it weekly and top it up as necessary. Oil and filter changes are a doddle. Timing belts are a weak spot, they need doing every 32k miles, costly at dealers but if you overlook it it will be €€€. I did mine myself, you need a few extra tools and plenty of time but not terribly difficult. If the engine sounds like a diesel, the cam variator will need to be replaced with the cambelt, this is the device that controls the variable valve timing.
    The suspension takes a hammering on irish roads, thats the price you pay for the handling. The top wishbones at the front are a common problem and you'll hear a squeaking going over speedbumps as a symptom. Again I've replaced mine DIY without much difficulty. At the rear all bushings wear heavily. For the transverse arm bushings, you just replace the arm and it's only marginally more difficult than changing a wheel but the bushing at the bottom of the strut connected to the trailing arm is a complete b!tc#, only €8 for the part but a complete b!tc# to change.
    I've never kept a car for as long as the 156 before, I got rid of all previous cars because I was bored with them. The 156 brought a smile to my face every time I drove it. I havent bought a new car yet but a 156 sportwagon could be on the cards, I've never even bought a second car from the same manufacturer, never mind the same model.
    If you're looking to buy one, try and find one that has just had the cambelt (and variator if it's noisey) changed and has recently been through the NCT which will mean the suspension is in good nick. Check the temperature gauge goes up close to 90 and stays pretty steady on the open road, if it is down at 70, the thermostat is shot (they generally fail open rather than closed so overheating is not a problem), quick and easy to replace but make sure the dealer does it for you. The spark plugs are pricey but last for 60k miles, try and get the dealer to fit a new set before you buy. If all these things are sorted, you're routine maintenance will be just oil and filter changes for 35k miles until the cam belt is due again, and of course brakes and tyres as needed which will depend on how you drive it.
    As for the celica, I've got no personal experience but I've always been a fan of the sharp styling of the latest generation. I never cared much for the lardy styling on the previous one.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Quality post there, alias. Must read for any prospective 156 owners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Alfa all the way!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

A-Trak wrote: »

IIRC theres about a 25 BHP difference between the 1.6 and 1.8 . As for the OPs dillema I'm obviously biased but suffice to say I've been driving Alfas for years without any major problems and they're great fun to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Thanks one and all, to say I'm now sold on 156.

I'll dole out the thanks in the morning, and after now armed with some info no amount of searching on google could provide, (thanks alias no 9 and all,) I'll let you know how much I save off the sticker price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

you wont be dissapointed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

That about sums up the 156!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I would rarely say this - but if its a 1.6 Alfa - I would go the Celica
    The 1.8 is a closer thing and the 2.0 I would take the Alfa.

The 1.6 I found gutless.
    The 1.8 quicker, nicer but you'll need to keep it on song.
    The 2.0 felt genuinely quick and much more relaxed as its far torqueryer.

I have a soft spot for the Sportwagon too - it looks better and is handier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

werent most 1.6s 105 or so bhp?

op youd pick up the 2.5 for buttons or maybe even the gta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i would not touch alfa, its all know fact that alfas just falling apart. Were talking with a few people who fixing cars, and they could not say a good thing about them.

There is a reason why they drop in price so cheap, its theyr biuld quality. And they dont drive so good, as they look.

Now i did not owned one, but i whanted to buy one, i tryed to drive it. Talked to poeple about it, read in the internet. and i skipped.

I would go for celice, but i think you dont need a coupe( your fishing stuff etc). Celica would be more reliable and more sporty, but lack of space making it a NO choise for you. unfortunatly.

Try maybe subaru impreza sportwagon. thought i would stay away from jap imports. Engine remaping and stuff has to be done on them or you will blow engine in first 3 miles. long story.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

peasant wrote: »
    How does this grab you for half your budget:
    CB4_1109569_6_489444.jpg

que bella macchina ! (2003 2.0 liter) and no hassle with the rods either
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Alfa-Romeo/156/2.0-JTS/1109569/

Wow that's a lot of car for that sort of money. I've driven a few 156's and enjoyed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

VH wrote: »
    werent most 1.6s 105 or so bhp?

op youd pick up the 2.5 for buttons or maybe even the gta.

1.6 is 120 bhp, pretty good for a normally aspirated engine from the last decade. V6s are rare in Ireland for cost reasons, GTAs are rarer than dinosaur droppings.

As Rob says above the 2.0 is the 4-pot to get, I've owned the 1.8 and a 2.0, put over 100K miles on them without a hitch.

Alias - quality post. Buyers abide by this advice & you won't go far wrong.

SH - um, yeah...

edit; that SW is lovely; and those are definitely 17"s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

what the hell is hapening here? Alfa threads without the hell and fire and the brimstone?? :D is that the four horsemen i see? recomending an Alfa over a Toyota?? :confused:

today is a great day :D:cool:

by the way, what you need is a 2.4 diesel 156, best of the lot short of the GTA ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

i would not touch alfa, its all know fact that alfas just falling apart. Were talking with a few people who fixing cars, and they could not say a good thing about them.

There is a reason why they drop in price so cheap, its theyr biuld quality. And they dont drive so good, as they look.

Now i did not owned one, but i whanted to buy one, i tryed to drive it. Talked to poeple about it, read in the internet. and i skipped.

I would go for celice, but i think you dont need a coupe( your fishing stuff etc). Celica would be more reliable and more sporty, but lack of space making it a NO choise for you. unfortunatly.

Try maybe subaru impreza sportwagon. thought i would stay away from jap imports. Engine remaping and stuff has to be done on them or you will blow engine in first 3 miles. long story.
    YAWN....same old same old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

siralfalot wrote: »
    by the way, what you need is a 2.4 diesel 156, best of the lot short of the GTA ;)

Smelly derv drivers go stand in the naughty corner!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

1.6 is 120 bhp, pretty good for a normally aspirated engine from the last decade.
    sorry was thinking of the 147

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

siralfalot wrote: »

Dunno about that last bit ;)

But I'd recommend the 2.4 diesel too.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

alias - fantastic!!

if only everyone on board had such detailed posts we'd be flying. :D

OP, like the others suggested, sounds like the Sportwagon might suit... Has a classless look about it, more so than the saloon imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I had the 1.6 156 for 2 years, and of my 6 cars to date it has been the most reliable, believe it or not. Just needed normal servicing and new pads & discs. My dad has a 2.0 model he got new in 1998, and not one problem - just standard servicing all the way.

At the time I defended the 1.6 version but looking back, it wasn't powerful enough. Still a nice drive around town, and competent enough on the motorway. The 2.0 will be well worth looking at, if it doesn't affect your insurance too much.

That sportswagon Peasant linked to looks excellent value for money.

Advertisement