Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Windstorms in Ireland

Options
  • 09-02-2014 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

as with the recent storms we've experienced i'm thinking to other infamous ones that struck the country with 2nd janurary 2012 and the 5th janurary 1991 coming to mind
    can anyone think of other well known storms ? ( excluding the night of the big wind )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

List of events here: http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/major-events.asp

And maybe edit the thread title ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

24th Dec 1997

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

1961 'Hurricane Debbie' is the most severe on record in Ireland, don't know if there's anyone here who remembers it..?

The 1998 storm is the most severe since then and the main one that sticks in my memory from living in Donegal, even after the main storm passed we had two more days of continuous gale force winds and frequent hail and snow squalls

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/a-christmas-nightmare-h3northwest-battered-by-worst-storm-since-1961-he3-26166433.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

vickers209 wrote: »
    24th Dec 1997

Yes, incredible storm. Sustained winds reached hurricane force at Roches Point, Cork Airport had gusts over 160 km/h, over 150 km/h in Dublin with sustained storm force winds there.

It's one thing looking at high gusts at exposed coastal locations, but having storm force and even violent storm force sustained winds in areas well inland from coasts is a whole different ball game.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭s.m

forgot about 1997 + 98
    what about hurricane charlie in 1986 and from what i've heard december 1990 was very stormy aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is there any particalar reason why this winter has been so bad for storms??

can't remember so many in such a short period

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

fryup wrote: »
    is there any particalar reason why this winter has been so bad for storms??

can't remember so many in such a short period

I think it's due to the polar vortex that pushed itself down into US which isn't normal and has a massive effect on the weather system in the Atlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    I think it's due to the polar vortex that pushed itself down into US which isn't normal and has a massive effect on the weather system in the Atlantic

This sounds fascinating...can you explain more about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

lolo62 wrote: »
    This sounds fascinating...can you explain more about it?

I'm not 100% sure how to explain. I read it somewhere in the Winter Chat thread here so maybe have a look over there. I'm not 100% sure if that is the cause to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure how to explain. I read it somewhere in the Winter Chat thread here so maybe have a look over there. I'm not 100% sure if that is the cause to be honest.

Thanks, will check it out..anything mentioning 'vortex' and I'm all ears!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Feb 26-27 1903, an overnight storm that may have been similar except for the time of day to yesterday's storm. It followed a similar track and levelled thousands of trees in south central to eastern Ireland. It was worse in Dublin than yesterday's storm but seems to have been similar further south.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

I remember particularly vicious storms in Mullingar in January the early 1970's.

Advertisement