Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'mei you'

• 10-09-2003 5:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

this has been wrecking me head for a while. the putonghua speakers say 'mei you' for 'no', the cantonese speakers say 'mmm hai' in some contexts and 'moh' in others but what's the correct way to write 'no'? and just what is wrong with 'bu'? nobody seems to use it except on signs like no smoking!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ezpzie

mei you (mandarin) means without.
    bu (mandarin) means don't (I think).
    It's the grammar of the whole thing! tis difficult.. maybe we can get some clarification from someone currently studying chinese?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Mei you also sounds like when there's a little rain. forgot the word in english

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

drizzle, demeant0r ... the eskimos have 22 words for rain, but there's no eskimo language forum on boards. :)

Aye, thanks crowbar, been learning chinese too much these days that I'm neglecting my English. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Treetypie

"Mei you" means without or in other words not.
    "Bu" means no in a sense but behind other words it's like un + word and behind other words it's like not also.

You all have to pick the most complicating words don't you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

thanks treetypie, welcome aboard boards.ie and to this forum, btw! but ... people don't say "wo bu you yi ge <something>" but rather tend to say "wo mei you yi ge <something>" - i was just wondering if it was more correct or perhaps "mei you" is less forceful and authoritarian than "bu you".

ah ... complication is the life of spice :)

Welcome to boards.ie and the chinese forums Treetypie, enjoy your stay :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Treetypie

Thanks loads for the wekcome!

Ermm, mandarin speech would be "wo mei you" something. That's right. But in canto it would be "ngaw mo"something.
    It's definately better grammer to say "mei you" then "bu you"
    I think "bu" literally means not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 SKWei

In Mandarin, Bu is the negator put in front of the verb "shi", the general verb "to be", and of stative verbs, like haokan or pang or whatever that don't need "shi" before them. "Mei" is the negator put before "you", which is nearer to the English usage of "are".
    There's a Taiwanese pop song called "Wo shi yi zhi xiao xiao xiao xiao niao", "I am a little bird."
    Given that Niao is a character with more than one pronunciation, if you wrote that in characters as "wo you yi zhi xiao xiao …" it would mean something quite different!!!

I've always wondered if Chinese people who live in Mayo have a particularly defeatist outlook on life given the very name of the place they live:p

LOL - true!

Have you noticed the way that Irish towns actually translate quite badly? - My mum sometimes has problems with pronunciating English and we try to "dumb" down the names with rough chinese equivalents and they're quite funny to translate. Sligo for example is quite hard.. do you try for sli - go or s (si) - li (meaning pull) - go (roughly meaning paste) - yes it's a pulling paste?

Dublin is the same problem - dub bu lun - or properly do pak lun - which isn't as bad but everyone calls it dub bu lun.

• Advertisement

It is difficult, especially when going between Mandarin and Cantonese. I remember seeing a British map of the British Isles in Chinese in the Irish embassy in Beijing, and it was all transliteration, my hometown Wexford being Weikesifude, but why Fude and not Fu'erte like the car company Ford? Or even a translation of the Norse, "Nijin"? (Mandarin, sorry, I never got round to looking up Cantonese pronouncinations, a future project ;) )Dubolin works pretty well in Mandarin, though Mandarin speakers there say Euro rather than Ou'yuan…which, in my case, brings us neatly back to the topic: "Mei you!!!":p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

AFAIK

Wo bu shi = I don't want (it) = No thanks

Well it worked for me at least.

tribble

A little off topic.. but my Mum says ngau yuen for Euro (cantonese), I think it's a little easier for mandarin speakers to say something like Euro because the language is more flexi than Cantonese. I still catch people saying bong (pound) when referring to currency and isn't it weird than ngoi yee lan (Ireland) is symbolised first by the symbol for love?

That's just from the mandarin I'm afraid "Aierlan", a reasonable transliteration. The "love" character was always used as the standard in the past for transliterating. In fact, even AIDS "Aizibing" used it at first, but it has changed to a simpler, "less meaningful" character these days, as have most transliterations using that sound.
    Albania starts with the "Love" character too.
    Not too interesting that, I'm just saying it cos I know it…:p

Advertisement