Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learning Irish

• 21-11-2015 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have any recommendations as to the best course to learn Irish. I'm talking about an online course or a cd course, something like that rather than going to classes.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Comhairleoir

www.ranganna.com run by Gaelchultúr/Coláiste na hÉireann is by far the best in my opinion. €45 for 3 months (an hour grind could cost you that). Several levels, English translations of every Irish word and sentence available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Learning Irish by Micheail O Siadhail is fabulous if you keep at it, a bit every day, and supplement with watching tv, listening to irish radio, etc. A basic grammar book as well will be a big help.
    Learning Irish is book based but comes with cds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Duolingo OR Memrise - Duolingo is more accurate

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Has Duolingo gotten any better since last year because "accurate" is not a word I'd have used to describe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Comhairleoir

Has Duolingo gotten any better since last year because "accurate" is not a word I'd have used to describe it.

Duolingo is good but not great. It has ironed out silly mistakes but there are still many mistakes that no native speaker would ever make but would sound ok based on a literal English translation e.g. the report stated that ... should be translated as 'it was stated in the report" as report is inanimate. When the bus comes should be translated as "when the bus will come".

I would still recommend it to up to intermediate level - but you may have to make a 'mistake' at times in order to get it right!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Thanks for the replies. I signed up with Ranganna for 3 month course so i'll see how i get on. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

monkey9 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I signed up with Ranganna for 3 month course so i'll see how i get on. Thanks again.

I signed up to this last week I am on the lower intermediate level , i'm finding it tough if you leave out a Fada or spell something slightly wrong your marked as incorrect , compared to duolingo which will just tell you there is a typo in your answer.

I find myself getting frustrated learning Irish somedays I am flying but other days I can't put simple sentences together. I am only back learning a couple of months hoping to eventually become fluent or at least be able to speak more fluently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I signed up to this last week I am on the lower intermediate level , i'm finding it tough if you leave out a Fada or spell something slightly wrong your marked as incorrect , compared to duolingo which will just tell you there is a typo in your answer.

I find myself getting frustrated learning Irish somedays I am flying but other days I can't put simple sentences together. I am only back learning a couple of months hoping to eventually become fluent or at least be able to speak more fluently.

Technically a vowel with a fada is a different letter so it is correct to say you are incorrect! Hang on in there and don't lose heart, you will get there in the end. Just accept its corrections now and they will stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I did find this frustrating at first, even when i knew the answer, i was being marked incorrect because of spelling or lack of a fada etc.

But it really is a case of learning from your mistakes. I repeat the questions over and over until i get full marks and this allows me to remember the words, the sentences and the spelling a lot better.

I am really enjoying this at the moment and i feel like i'm making decent progress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

I've downloaded the Gaeilge Language Learning Pack, made an account on Duolingo, listen to Radio Na Gaeltachta when possible (and have Irish-speaking Podcasts on my phone for when it isn't)... But I'd like some real time experience. Are there any classes in Dublin that would be recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I've downloaded the Gaeilge Language Learning Pack, made an account on Duolingo, listen to Radio Na Gaeltachta when possible (and have Irish-speaking Podcasts on my phone for when it isn't)... But I'd like some real time experience. Are there any classes in Dublin that would be recommended?

What's that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

What's that?

Collection of e-books and .pdfs. I'd link it, but I'm not sure if torrents are allowed to be posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Collection of e-books and .pdfs. I'd link it, but I'm not sure if torrents are allowed to be posted.

I don't think they are.
    I don't think it's even ok to ask for them by PM, let alone post them up. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

monkey9 wrote: »
    I did find this frustrating at first, even when i knew the answer, i was being marked incorrect because of spelling or lack of a fada etc.

But it really is a case of learning from your mistakes. I repeat the questions over and over until i get full marks and this allows me to remember the words, the sentences and the spelling a lot better.

I am really enjoying this at the moment and i feel like i'm making decent progress.

I've stuck with it and spent a lot more time on each section now and I am finding it very good feel like I'm making great progress , I think the next step for me will be to join some conversation groups.

Advertisement