Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CGA/EGA/YUV TO VGA scaler - anyone use one ?

• 21-06-2011 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm looking to put my XBOX into my New Astro City Cabinet. The New Astro supports VGA input on a tri-sync monitor (i.e. CGA/EGA/VGA). I have the HD cables for my original xbox, and I'm looking to put them through this CGA SCALER via the GREEN BLUE RED inputs

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CGA-EGA-YUV-VGA-conv...=item4aac1ee46d

This then can output at 480p (VGA) on my New Astro City monitor. My question is, will this work with the xbox ? I remember something about the xbox not sync'ing on green ? but surely if I'm using the component connections it should be ok ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Yep I have one. I'll post some videos on my YouTube channel soon if you want. I bought mine at Jammaboards and saved myself about €20-€25 (including delivery) on the eBay price.

Going to hook it up to an SLG 3000 sooner rather than later though. You won't need one for you cab though of course.

You can also mod that PCB to accept a SCART input although I have no idea how to do it and am utterly inept with a soldering iron.

Definitely a great purchase though. Get one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

cheers ! my main concern though, is if the xbox outputs component and is upscaled to VGA, will it still require the monitor to sync on green

Not sure with the XBOX question, that said I have my PS2 running on component, I'll try it out on the PCB tonight if I get a sec. See if that helps you at all? :)

ah upon further reading it looks like its more an issue for the monitor and if that supports the sync'ing i need. I think I might pick it up anyway, as I'll find a use for it somewhere :D

have you a link to the power supply you are using with it ?

I bought a multi-tipped supply. 5v is what's needed. Got mine on eBay for around £12 all in.

You can fit a sync stripper to the PCB too, again, I'm a complete dick squeezer when it comes to soldering so don't ask me how it's done! :o

• Advertisement

I saw the youtube vid fagin did regarding the Scart mod, and he mentions stripping out the sync etc, but I think he made a seperate part for that ?

ondafly wrote: »
    I saw the youtube vid fagin did regarding the Scart mod, and he mentions stripping out the sync etc, but I think he made a seperate part for that ?

Yep that's the one I saw. I have no idea how to make the SCART and/or sync mod. If anyone knows how to do it, I'll gladly hand over some Green Shield stamps as payment for your services.

:)

Advertisement