Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Marathon 2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

robinph wrote: »
    What about Google Lattitude?
    Yeah, that's another good option. Probably easier to setup than instamapper and they have badges that can be shared so you can embed a map of your location on another website.
    Nice thing about instamapper is they show a trail of your last x number of locations, not sure if latitude has that.
    plodder wrote: »
    I just tried it out with the OH's iphone and it seems to work. Not sure about carrying the damn thing round the marathon course though. Wouldn't like it to get wet/damaged.
    I put mine in a plastic bag and then into a waistbag thingy that I'm gonna bring.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

3 stars (average)
    I think lattitude does have historical loggin of your position if you turn it on. I've not looked at it though, but if you go to https://www.google.com/latitude and click on the History tab there are some things you can turn on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Peckham wrote: »
    Nope, that's a perfectly normal sign for tapering. You'll probably still feel sluggish at the weekend, so don't worry about it. In fact, even walking to the start of the race you'll still have doubts about your ability to hold your planned marathon pace for 26 miles....but as soon as you start running, you'll realise how easy marathon pace feels. In fact, it'll probably feel too easy!

Thanks mate, appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

thanks for this lads,i'm not familiar with dublin sorry to say, but looking at the DCM site it seems a lot of the roads are closed to cars from early morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

4 stars (good)
    Head down the M1 till you get to the port tunnel. Straight down the tunnel till you get to the O2 arena. Bear right at the roundabout at the O2 and down the quays. Now you have to take a left at the new bridge, but this is prohibited so go past the bridge , do a u turn and then come back to it and cross over. Follow the road across the bridge ,go right at the Ferryman Pub and straight up that road (Macken St). Straight through the junction at Pearse St and up to the next junction if you can. Drop your friend off there and he's only got a short walk to the start.. Should take you less than an hour. Hopefully I'll see your mate on the startline ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Moved from cycling.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Badbark

ElectraX wrote: »
    Had never thought of wearing one of these, it definitely seems like a handy way of tracking progress and keeping on target, but my worry is it would end up being annoying after a few miles, especially if it started rubbing off my wrist! Did u have any problems wearing it on the day? Will also be wearing a garmin though, so maybe that would be pacing overload:D

What I do with my pace band is wear a wrist sweat band and staple the pace band to a size that fit's snugly over the sweat band.

I'll be wearing my Garmin too but it measured the DCM last year as 26.58 miles so you need to keep a close eye on the official mile markers and adjust if necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

4 stars (good)
    inea wrote: »
    - ran Athlone about 5 minutes faster than the 4 hour pace group (and god was it hilly!!)

Can you tell me how long the 4-hour pace group took to finish the Athlone 3/4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 inea

Birroc wrote: »
    Can you tell me how long the 4-hour pace group took to finish the Athlone 3/4?

I think it was about 3.12?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I'm not sure what's going on this weekend but just in case I don't get a chance later I wanted to come on and say a huge GOOD LUCK to everyone running on Monday and in particular to the mentored guys from RKs sub 4:30 and ecoli's sub 3 thread. It's only 26.2 miles, how hard can it be?!

Two very quick bits of advice (mostly repeated from teh other thread but I know not everyone reads that)...

1 - A Garmin is a training aid, not a racing aid. You are best manually lapping at the mile markers to get a feel for your actual pace by race distance. Your VP can be well off because of congestion etc and if you are depending on teh Garmin GPS and it loses signal (as it did form me in Berlin and Dublin) then you're sunk. The lower your tech the less chance of issues

2 - Run the racing line. Most Garmins record a completed marathon as 26.6 miles or more. Now that's only a few hundred metres but those few hundred meters could be a minute or two of running so why do it if you don't have to? If you are in a section of the field that is congested then run like you should drive - be polite, indicate your intentions but be assertive. If you are changing direction (at a water station for example) check behind you and point where you are going - it'll stop people behind you running into you. If you are stuck behind people running too slowly then don't be afraid to reach your hand in between them to alert them that you are there and say something like "excuse me, coming through!". People will move aside for faster runners, as a general rule.

I'm really jealous, DCM is a great race - enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for pre-race meals over the next few days?I know the recommendation is Low GI foods and to start upping the carb intake from now but would be interested to hear peoples ideas, especially from previous experience.

4 stars (good)
    inea wrote: »
    I think it was about 3.12?

Thanks. I dont get it though - was that on the assumpion you would finish last 6.2 miles in 48 mins? Or were they holding back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

4 stars (good)
    ElectraX wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for pre-race meals over the next few days?I know the recommendation is Low GI foods and to start upping the carb intake from now but would be interested to hear peoples ideas, especially from previous experience.

Personally I eat my usual food. Don't try anything new just before the marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    Thanks. I dont get it though - was that on the assumpion you would finish last 6.2 miles in 48 mins? Or were they holding back?

They were told to only start out at 90% goal pace for the first quarter and increase the pace so as to be almost running at goal pace by the end. The pacers were treating the Athlone 3/4 as an LSR with some marathon pace miles at the end.
    In DCM the different pace groups will be running signficatnly faster than the pacers in Athlone from the start. They will run in at a consistent pace (i.e. the 4hr pacers will run each quarter in 1 hour).

4 stars (good)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    They were told to only start out at 90% goal pace for the first quarter and increase the pace so as to be almost running at goal pace by the end. The pacers were treating the Athlone 3/4 as an LSR with some marathon pace miles at the end.
    In DCM the different pace groups will be running signficatnly faster than the pacers in Athlone from the start. They will run in at a consistent pace (i.e. the 4hr pacers will run each quarter in 1 hour).

Thanks. Does anyone know how many 4hr pacers there will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    Thanks. Does anyone know how many 4hr pacers there will be?

Four

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

3 stars (average)
    You have to share them out between you all, no fighting over who gets which pacer.

4 stars (good)
    robinph wrote: »
    You have to share them out between you all, no fighting over who gets which pacer.

**** that, I'm turning up first and getting first pick. And if I spot anyone else following him I'm going to burst his balloon, so keep your distance :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

4 stars (good)
    The Advice on the Day used to be 1 page - it turned into a marathon 6 pages.
    I want to acknowledge Tunguska's course description, which I've appended with a small addition.

The Last Two Weeks is probably still worth a read.

Recovery page to follow, probably tomorrow.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Condo131 wrote: »
    The Advice on the Day used to be 1 page - it turned into a marathon 6 pages.
    The Last Two Weeks is probably still worth a read.

you seem to have two copies of The Last Two Weeks up...

4 stars (good)
    RayCun wrote: »
    you seem to have two copies of The Last Two Weeks up...
    Thanks! Corrected now....I think!

Duh! I checked the links before posting, but must have been too intent on ensuring that the Last two weeks article was there. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

4 stars (good)
    Hi,
    I can't read any more of this thread without contributing, I'm reading new posts at least a dozen times a day :D

My first time attempting the 26.2 this Monday, hoping to stick with the 3:45 pacers so I guess my target is 3:44:59. Maybe a bit ambitious but I feel I have the training done, and am so far enjoying the taper (thanks to a couple of easy shorter runs with Tuam AC). I did a 1:43 Dublin Half, and 3 hours for my 20 mile LSRs.

Good luck everyone crossing the start line on Monday!! Bring it on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

4 stars (good)
    galwayspur wrote: »
    Hi,
    I can't read any more of this thread without contributing, I'm reading new posts at least a dozen times a day :D

My first time attempting the 26.2 this Monday, hoping to stick with the 3:45 pacers so I guess my target is 3:44:59. Maybe a bit ambitious but I feel I have the training done, and am so far enjoying the taper (thanks to a couple of easy shorter runs with Tuam AC). I did a 1:43 Dublin Half, and 3 hours for my 20 mile LSRs.

3'45 sounds about right for that half time yeah, it sounds like you have the training done. best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

3 stars (average)
    galwayspur wrote: »
    Hi,

Dont sell urself short Galway...3.45 or under seems well within ur reach...Stick with 3.45 pacers and if ur feeling strong around Fosters Avenue (mile 21ish ) give it socks!! Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Another long time lurker who doesnt post as often as I read, especially over the last few days!! Hope preparations going well for everyone, really looking forward to Monday at this stage!

Looking for a quick bit of advice.....did 1.35 for the half, should I use the 3.30 or 3.45 pacers on the day? Was going to aim for 3.30 but might be a little ambitious for first marathon....any advice appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Qwerty27 wrote: »
    Another long time lurker who doesnt post as often as I read, especially over the last few days!! Hope preparations going well for everyone, really looking forward to Monday at this stage!

Looking for a quick bit of advice.....did 1.35 for the half, should I use the 3.30 or 3.45 pacers on the day? Was going to aim for 3.30 but might be a little ambitious for first marathon....any advice appreciated!!

Based on your half time alone you should be well able for a 3:30 full. But it also depends on how your other training has gone, how many long runs you've done and how they've felt, and what you feel you're able for - marathon running is as tough mentally as it is physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭redved

liamo123 wrote: »
    Dont sell urself short Galway...3.45 or under seems well within ur reach...Stick with 3.45 pacers and if ur feeling strong around Fosters Avenue (mile 21ish ) give it socks!! Best of luck

Agreed, I hope you're selling yourself short because I did the Cliffs of Moher half in 1.45 and am hoping to stick with the 3.45 pacers.
    Good luck on the day

4 stars (good)
    Hey guys. I am freaking out. Went for a 3 mile run there and one of my runners disintegrated. Basically the sole is hanging off it now. What should I do? I know I have to buy new runners but what read that you should do at least 50 miles in your new runners before the race. Will it be a problem having only 5 or 6 miles done in them before the race?

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Hey guys. I am freaking out. ............ one of my runners disintegrated............... I know I have to buy new runners but what read that you should do at least 50 miles in your new runners before the race. Will it be a problem having only 5 or 6 miles done in them before the race?

Well.....Be thankful it didn't happen on Monday next!!!

Get your shoes...wear them literally 24/7 between now and Sunday night give them an overnight rest and hope for the best. You really need to get your feet to 'bed in' in the shoes and also to ensue that you aren't rubbing on any stitching.

You really should have been looking at your shoes before now! otoh, new shoes are, subject to all previous advice, better than any favourite, super, clapped out ones.

Advertisement