Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Driving a bus sounds like the kind of job that might suit you better if your single and don't have whole lot of commitments.

It was OK when I was at the start but it ain't all its cracked up to be.

I wasn't surprised with the UK firm getting in. It gives them their EU hub now just in time before brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Voipjunkie wrote: »
    This isn't happening for 18 months DB will continue to hire, and it will still be the same size after these buses have gone to Go Ahead, If DB had won they would have hired more, but they will still be hiring.

In 14 months DB will have 200+ drivers losing their routes and reverting back to being spare. If they're going to hire now, it will only be a handful and after 12months I wouldn't want to be waiting to see if they will make me permanent knowing that they will be overstaffed.

And yes anyone coming in will be spare for a long time but there are drivers there now 10years who just had 5years extra added to their wait for a route, There is no hope for promotion and a lot of people probably have to change work location.

Donnybrook is the worst hit for routes taken its already at 11 years spare and more.

Many marked in the last 20years and more will revert back spare.

No hope for us and can't even say in 5 years it will change as Ross and his pals have got their way they have sold us out and as usual would rather see the money piss out of the country rather then keep it in our economy.

Anne Graham in the nta has set it all up.

Nta was set up for the sole purpose of selling off the rest of our public services.

The government have being trying to do this for over the last 40 years and have now got their way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Donnybrook is the worst hit for routes taken its already at 11 years spare and more.

Many marked in the last 20years and more will revert back spare.

No hope for us and can't even say in 5 years it will change as Ross and his pals have got their way they have sold us out and as usual would rather see the money piss out of the country rather then keep it in our economy.

Thats the problem I have with this tendering they could have just said that we will lets say 2-4 routes out of each depot depending on the size of each depot. Its almost like the NTA don't have a clue of which routes operate from which depot. Heres a breakdown.

Donnybrook - 11 routes

Ringsend - Nothing

Clontarf - 2 routes

Summerhill - 1 route

Phibsboro - Nothing

Harristown - 7 routes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Thats the problem I have with this tendering they could have just said that we will lets say 2-4 routes out of each depot depending on the size of each depot. Its almost like the NTA don't have a clue of which routes operate from which depot. Heres a breakdown.

Donnybrook - 11 routes

Ringsend - Nothing

Clontarf - 2 routes

Summerhill - 1 route

Phibsboro - Nothing

Harristown - 7 routes

You forgot:
    Conyngham Road - two routes.

• Advertisement

You forgot:
    Conyngham Road - two routes.

Thanks I knew I forgot something

So DB are now hiring hgv mehanics. So I would imagine that tendering has not effected recruitment

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

So DB are now hiring hgv mehanics. So I would imagine that tendering has not effected recruitment

They are going to have as many buses, so it wouldn't. Archaic work practices for drivers aside (marking in) there aren't going to be any impacts

no they ain't.... They had an advert up in April. they are currently looking for someone to come in on fixed term contractcontract for body repair.

Seriously, There will always be a requirement to bring in fresh staff for different roles as people leave and retire. But in 14months so many drivers will lose their routes that you won't see 20 or 30 people in the training centre every day in the red buses for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

If you do get in be fully prepared to have no life and no set hours or even know what you will be doing.

No prospect of ever getting marked in.

I seriously do hate how this country is being sold off.

A come on now. Its not that bad.

You can stay on the 4 day weekend and/or you can request what shifts suit to some degree. With regards very early or very late. They will try and accommodate to some degree. If you behave that is and help out when you are needed.
    If you need a weekend night off you have hols and can work through the week the odd time to make up for time off.
    It actually suits me perfectly working weekend nights. Plus 3 days off is a real winner.

Being marked in is not all its cracked up to be either. I prefare spare and I have a different route each day. Bit of variety.

I strongly agree we are being sold out by Shane Ross and his cronies .

Not a thing anyway. Cant see any new drivers coming in till all this settles and a plan is formed for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

You can stay on the 4 day weekend and/or you can request what shifts suit to some degree. With regards very early or very late.They will try and accommodate to some degree. If you behave that is and help out when you are needed.

If you need a weekend night off you have hols and can work through the week the odd time to make up for time off.
    It actually suits me perfectly working weekend nights.Plus 3 days off is a real winner.

Being marked in is not all its cracked up to be either.I prefare spare and I have a different route each day. Bit of variety.

Not a thing anyway.Cant see any new drivers coming in till all this settles and a plan is formed for the future.

A good post,which accurately reflects a reality,which many appear to find threatening.

As with many large scale employments,and also underlining a somewhat Irish pecularity,many employees will perform acrobatics to find negatives and build empires upon them,whilst totally ignoring whatever positives may be there.

And yes,it is a job with some positives,in a sector very well stocked with employers who'se practices and requirements regularly force employees to err on the side of danger.

Has good quality,full time employment,with a steady income,and ancilliary benefits such as a Welfare Scheme suddenly become something to flippantly disregard ?

If it has,then those who regularly run the job down,should now be overjoyed at the prospect of a new employer arriving on scene,to whom they can approach and offer their valuable services ?

Times have changed,totally changed,and flexible working patterns now carry an attraction which many simply cannot comprehend,and as a result feel threatened by.

As for the Shane Ross issue,he is simply the latest in a long line of Ministers,all of whom,to various extents,were expected to "sell out" the CIE group...

All I can say,is that none of them,as yet,having got to study the realpolitik from the business end of the Ministers Desk,have moved very far forward in their supposed crusades.

Taoiseach Varadakar,was perhaps the man most expected to be the nemisis of the CIE group companies,and yet the Man turned out to be one of the most positively inclined Ministers for Transport in recent memory.

Dublin Bus remains perhaps the best placed of the CIE Group companies to actually work with the NTA on it's long-term programme to extend and improve Public Transport in the Greater Dublin Area.....and Long-Term,in NTA terms,really does mean LONG- TERM.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

You can stay on the 4 day weekend and/or you can request what shifts suit to some degree. With regards very early or very late. They will try and accommodate to some degree. If you behave that is and help out when you are needed.
    It actually suits me perfectly working weekend nights. Plus 3 days off is a real winner.

Being marked in is not all its cracked up to be either. I prefare spare and I have a different route each day. Bit of variety.

Not a thing anyway. Cant see any new drivers coming in till all this settles and a plan is formed for the future.

I believe they will be recruiting around October.

The number of buses even with 10% routes gone is meant to remain the same plus 25 extra on top. So its being said.

Around 150 approx is to go to go ahead and from what the tender is for its about half of the new fleet coming in from now on.

That's great the 4 day week suits you but that wasn't there when others and I started.

So you believe being spare is better I can't actually believe that due to how much crap has being thrown at me over the years.

They can be very long days to the very very odd short day.

Marked in gives one a routine and also the option to plan and actually have a better work balance and a life at the end of it.

Obviously marked in yes you are on a set route but you always have the option of swapping or doing o/t on other routes etc.

Honestly if it suits you that's great but there ain't many like that.

I believe they will be recruiting around October.

The number of buses even with 10% routes gone is meant to remain the same plus 25 extra on top. So its being said.

Around 150 approx is to go to go ahead and from what the tender is for its about half of the new fleet coming in from now on.

That's great the 4 day week suits you but that wasn't there when others and I started.

So you believe being spare is better I can't actually believe that due to how much crap has being thrown at me over the years.

They can be very long days to the very very odd short day.

Marked in gives one a routine and also the option to plan and actually have a better work balance and a life at the end of it.

Obviously marked in yes you are on a set route but you always have the option of swapping or doing o/t on other routes etc.

Honestly if it suits you that's great but there ain't many like that.

Being marked in is so far away for me, I have to think like that. My kids will be grown by then and maybe the 5 day and being marked in, will suit.

I am only here since Jan and I would fully recommend the job to anyone.
    I really does take 6 months to settle the nerves of driving a fully loaded double decker through tight busy streets.
    A few have dropped out because of nervousness and hours, but 95 percent stay.
    I really like it . There is never a dull moment. But I would encourage anyone thinking of joining to read this whole thread before investing so much time and effort into the recruitment process.
    Getting in the door is only the first step.
    The training school is like being in a pressure cooker trying to pass the tests and after that you have to learn so many routes very fast.
    On top of that, you will have to learn how to get used to driving such a large vehicle in service and how to deal with the public.
    You wont be board. You get a good wage, plenty of over time if you want it, and will be out and about meet people all day long .

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Junipers

I don't suppose anyone knows if the training school will be opening up any time soon?

Junipers wrote: »
    I don't suppose anyone knows if the training school will be opening up any time soon?

Nothing supposed to happen anytime soon.

18months at least would be my guess. that's just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Don Vito

Anyone else hear they are recruiting again soon ?

Don Vito wrote: »
    Anyone else hear they are recruiting again soon ?

Only Go-Ahead Dublin are recruiting atm who are taking over a number of current DB routes. I suspect there will be no recruitment by DB until after they pass the baton over to GA.

https://www.go-aheaddublin.ie/careers/

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Don Vito

Only Go-Ahead Dublin are recruiting atm who are taking over a number of current DB routes. I suspect there will be no recruitment by DB until after they pass the baton over to GA.

https://www.go-aheaddublin.ie/careers/

DB are hiring just as I'd heard.
    Numerous people have received Emails offering them the positions they went for over a year ago, a fresh medical to be done though.

Don Vito wrote: »
    DB are hiring just as I'd heard.
    Numerous people have received Emails offering them the positions they went for over a year ago, a fresh medical to be done though.

60 to 90 expected at the training centre this year. All the trainers are gearing up for it. Red learner buses being dusted off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 steevem23

Hello , when you say some have been offered position does that mean that they have already done all the tests before. I only did the aptitude test early 2017. Then they sent me letter saying they were full capacity.

• Advertisement

steevem23 wrote: »
    Hello , when you say some have been offered position does that mean that they have already done all the tests before. I only did the aptitude test early 2017. Then they sent me letter saying they were full capacity.

I would think you may get a call later on in the year as there were many at a further stage. If they need that many you will be in with a good chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sharktail

get you D licence make things go fast,
    guy i know get job offer.

DB are looking for drivers again. Wonder will many of the Go-Ahead drivers jump ship?

http://www.dublinbus.ie/Human-Resources/Professional-Bus-Drivers/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Romeo83

Can anyone tell me if you get the job is it possible to park in the training depot? Or is there free parking close to it? I’d be coming from outside Dublin and I’m on no bus or train route! 😔

Romeo83 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if you get the job is it possible to park in the training depot? Or is there free parking close to it? I’d be coming from outside Dublin and I’m on no bus or train route! 😔

Yes parking in broadstone down the far end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Romeo83

Yes parking in broadstone down the far end.
    Brilliant thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 superman400

Romeo83 wrote: »

Yeah it is possible to park in broadstone for free but park it down the end near control

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BadSanta

just to keep this thread alive and thanks for the information I gathered here. I have my driving skills assessment and competency based interview at the Dublin Bus Training Centre later today... fingers cross... and thanks to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

BadSanta wrote: »
    just to keep this thread alive and thanks for the information I gathered here. I have my driving skills assessment and competency based interview at the Dublin Bus Training Centre later today... fingers cross... and thanks to this thread.

How Did you Get On Today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 superman400

BadSanta wrote: »

Hope u passed pal because honestly it's one of the best jobs in Dublin. I'm there only 2 years and absolutely love it. Keep me updated, good luck

Advertisement