Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corona Virus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Fair points, can't argue against any of that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

In fairness, none of the irish decisions were made in economic self interest though. And there is a lot of money made in ischgl and a bit of a sniff off the town because of it. I don't doubt what happened was immoral, but it's not quite as clear cut as might seem. I think you need public health people to make the right decisions for the right reasons, we can't expect business owners to be responsible. You need good people in the right places, and even then they may make mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭skallywag

The Paznaun valley has long had a reputation in Austria for both phenomenal greed and basically doing whatever the hell they want regardless of authority. Ask any Austrians who live in other parts of Tirol, or neighboring Vorarlberg, and they will tell you the stories. The whole valley has much in common with a cartel, where planning permission issues, etc. often conveniently gets circumvented.

For me a key issue here is that the gondolas bringing people up the mountain continued to run for days after the police were already in the process of shutting down bars, etc. This really beggars belief in my opinion, and is a real smoking gun for the 'willful endangerment of life' charge. If bars are being forced to close because of an infectious disease spreading among patrons, then it is 100% clear that any areas where people will be forced into close confinement is also a risk, and must also be immediately closed. Hence at this point the ski stations were operating knowing full well that there was a clear risk of their patrons being infected.

As to who should have taken that call to close immediately, that is still under debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

I just read the kitzsteinhorn restrictions for the coming season. There's very little in them. They'll do their best to avoid congestion in lift queues. When he lifts are quiet they may limit capacity. They reserve the right to limit capacity in restaurants. It doesn't sound like it will be too different to me other than the fact that people will be hesitant to go, so it might be quieter.

The only thing you really have to do is wear a mask on lifts or in restaurants when you're not at your table. Other than that it largely sounds the same to me.

Does that resort have a system of Gondolas to bring people up the mountain, such as you find in Ischgl, St Anton etc? If you have chair lifts taking people up then you may possible be able to limit things, e.g. block off every second/third seat etc. but the big issue I would imagine would be with the Gondolas.

Really hard to say how it will pan out at the moment, especially considering that Austria is currently starting a second heavy wave, with new restrictions coming in from today. I think it is very true that many people are simply not going to travel this year anyway, so perhaps even if tough controls are put in concerning the numbers on lifts etc. then perhaps it may not be too bad? Just impossible to tell at the moment really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

a148pro wrote: »
    I'm not sure about that. With hindsight, bad decisions were certainly made.

They were given a very clear warning by Iceland 2 weeks to 10 days before Austria closed that they didn't take seriously (worse they dismissed it entirely).

Yes but I think that message was sent to public health authorities, in fact per the article it definitely was. I don't think you can hold that against the resort (whatever else you might want to). Plus at that time the view that they could have gotten it on the plane with people who had been in Northern Italy and tested positive was reasonable. Do you remember the fear when it was reported that someone had tested positive in Belfast having flown through dublin and gotten public transport up? We all thought everyone who had been on the train / plane was a gonner.

I can't agree with you on that one a148pro, and the feeling on the ground in Austria does not tend to either.

As mentioned they continued to operate the lifts at the same time that the police were forcing bars to close. There is no question in most peoples minds that the lifts should have been stopped as soon as the police were actively out closing down the bars.

Yeah that's fair enough - but I don't think those decisions should be left to the individual companies, I suspect the public failing is greater than the private

What I do think that times article is harsh on them for is criticising their handling of the exodus from the town after they announced it was shutting. People were nervous of being trapped there and I'm not sure there was a way to stop everyone trying to flee the town at the same time once an announcement was made.

But there definitely sounds like their was wilful ignorance about the problem in the villages (not just ischgl). They had enough information to know they should have closed sooner and I wouldn't be surprised if they thought let's just get another week out of this as it's worth a lot of money to us.

How many people would avoid it in he future though? I suspect not many. I hear it has great skiing and apres. If I got a good deal on a holiday there I'm pretty sure I'd go for it. Not in 2021 in fairness.

• Advertisement

There's no good deals in ischgl I'm afraid! Skiing is class. Apres was said to be great but I didn't properly indulge. I think the characterization in that article of loads of 50 year old men in a bar while a girl in her 20s parades around in a bikini may be correct.

...I think the characterization in that article of loads of 50 year old men in a bar while a girl in her 20s parades around in a bikini may be correct.

Yes, this is one of the most famous Apres-Ski locations in Ischgl, it is in a bar called 'Schatzi' which is part of Hotel Elizabeth, located right at the point where you come out of the 'tunnel' to get to the smaller gondola lifts.

There are indeed girls dancing on the bar, although dressed in what I would call 'a reduced form of traditional Austrian dress' rather than bikinis.

That actually doesn't sound fun. Maybe I'm 20 years too young, but it sounds a bit on the creepy side to me.

I'd still go for the skiing if course and find a more normal bar.

It is indeed very odd to observe if you have not seen it before, and I have not come across this class of thing at any of the other large resorts, e.g. Arlberg, etc.

Quite a few bars in Ischgl trade off this theme, there is another very popular bar beside Schatzi called 'Freeride' where the same lark goes on with girls dancing on the bar (which can be quite inconvenient sometimes if you want to use the bar for the more traditional use of getting a drink). The 'full of 50 year old men' is an exaggeration though. For sure there are quite a few in that category, but there are also lots of people in their 20's, 30's etc. and also plenty of women (well, considering that men will anyway usually heavily outnumber women on a skiing trip) dancing along as well. The likes of the Dutch, Germans, Russians etc. do not tend to seem to mind the 'seedier' aspect of it, while the Irish/British etc. definitely do. I have brought some Irish girls in there a few times, they insisted on seeing the famous 'Schatzi' (it's probably the most famous Apres-Ski in Ischgl) and they, as anticipated, wanted to leave after about five minutes. The apres-ski scene in Ischgl is in general much more seedier than anywhere else in Austria.

All that said, such carry on will not be an issue this season at least, as Ischgl have already come out with a statement that there will be no Apres-Ski at all this year.

As a ski resort there is simply no comparison to Ischgl, it is the best place you can ski in Austria by a long distance.

You've sold it to me in the last line of your post!

On the apres described, I don't object to it. If girls want to use their bodies to make money and guys want to pay for it that's all fine. But I just feel awkward in those types of places.

There are some quite affordable places to stay right in the heart of the village too, if you share an apartment with 2 or 3 others. I have stayed in this place a good few times, you can ski right down to within a few 100m of it, and it's quite affordable.

http://www.paznaunhof.ischgl.at

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Skiing/boarding in Ischgl is top class. The lift system is second to none.

There's quieter bars in the town that are good for just having a few beers and a chat after a day on the slopes which I much prefer these days tbh. That being said I didn't think Freeride was too bad. A bit sleazy alright with the dancers on the bar but the music is pretty decent and they don't play that awful apres europop nonsense.

Interesting to see the things they're doing. Clearly intending on opening fully.

Can anyone think of any resorts where you're not that dependent on gondolas / cable cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

I remember Pas de la Casa being pretty much all chair lifts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Alpe d'Huez is pretty much all chairs/baskets/buttons IIRC too.

We've accepted that we won't be going skiing this winter barring an outright miracle. Just not worth the risk, imo.

Can anyone think of any resorts where you're not that dependent on gondolas / cable cars?

There are plenty of them about.

E.g. in the Vorarlberg region of Austria you would have Warth & Damuels ...

https://www.warth-schroecken.at/en/region-arlberg/welcome-warth-schroecken-summer.html

https://www.damuels-mellau.at/de

Both are excellent, though Damuels can be very busy.

That said, the situation in Austria is ballooning out of control at the moment, so legal restrictions could certainly be put in place between now and then.

Thanks lads. It's good to have some ideas in the bag but there's so much up in the air that it's very hard to know.

Will we be allowed travel by our government?
    Will it be morally acceptable to do so?
    Will the countries we travel to allow us in unrestricted?
    Is there a danger the position might change while you're there?
    Will the resorts open?
    Will it be worth your while if they do or will the limits make it perhaps a season to let go?

Kind of suits me as I'm a short break last minute man, on the other hand, I won't have a travel agent looking after me if it goes belly up

Hard to know! But pretty sure i'll give it a shot (unless the grim reaper is walking the streets)

I was reading the restrictions in Austria and to be honest I think they're fairly meaningless. They're pretty much promising nothing, but will endeavor to restrict queueing, limit people on gondolas, etc.

However, I expect the numbers on the slopes next year will be way down. Loads of people won't bother going because they're nervous about it for whatever reason. And the result of that will be that there will be more space in the resort, hopefully no queueing at the lifts, more space in the restaurants, etc. Actually, it sounds fantastic!

Some good points raised there.

Dial_Hard, I definitely agree with your point re the risk involved. Regardless of how careful the resorts try to be, skiing is going to be inherently a high risk activity, as there is simply no way to feasibly get up the mountain without some class of close contact. If you look at the language that Ischgl are using, you can see that they are probably going to go for still using the gondalas (well, in Ischgl there is no other choice) while making people wear masks in order to counter the risk. No matter what way they play it you are looking at a large number in close proximity for the duration of that gondola, which I believe in itself is going to put a lot of people off going. Have to have a smile though at the way Ischgl have the 'Health is our top priority' is the large orange letters ...

A148pro, your point about the moral acceptability is a very valid one in my opinion. We all know the high focus that is on skiing since the events last year. Imagine the case that travel is indeed allowed, but you are then have the misfortune of catching it while skiing, and subsequently spread it on once you get home. You would very likely be crucified within the local community.

Blue note, your point re the numbers been down is also very appropriate. Although it sounds ideal as in having the place to yourself, the fact of the matter is that you need a certain minimum number below which you cannot afford to operate, as you are making a loss. The feeling on the ground in Austria is that many resorts will just not be able to open at all if the normal swell of people from Germany, Netherlands, Scandinavia etc. does not turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Just thinking about it if I do end up skiing this winter I will certainly be wearing a full face balaclava regardless of how cold it is. It’s effectively a mask and with a ski helmet I’d feel ok.
    I also agree that resorts will be a lot quieter this season too and I probably wouldn’t go to a bar unless it was in my hotel and had plenty of room.
    I do agree with the above that there are so many variables that it’s hard to know including if we can travel and if it will be acceptable to do so.

I don't know - I think we are in a bit of a covid bubble in ireland, we are very compliant and quite strict in our measures. I get the impression they are less so in other countries, so they may feel different about skiing and will be happy to go. But that's just a hunch.

True, it is going to be completely impossible to predict how many will travel, etc. Plus, the ski season is another 3 months away, which can be a very long time in terms of the global situation due to the pandemic. The economic pressure on the likes of Austria to push on and have a relatively good ski season is clearly massive.

Another factor is that people's patience (and fear) is wearing thin. By Winter, particularly with no clear end in sight a lot of younger people in particular may say come what may, I'm going.

I have to say, and I think I'm a bit more cautious than a lot of my peers, but I find it hard to see myself not going this year, absent some clear evidence of a risk in flying which has not heretofore been shown as far as I'm aware? And if I could find a good chairlift option and just do take away food I think I'd be happy.

• Advertisement

And if I could find a good chairlift option and just do take away food I think I'd be happy.

Warth is one of the best places I've been too, although it is quite isolated, and can get quite icy as it's North facing. It has excellent runs though, and a strong system of chair lifts. You can even get from there over to the Arlberg too, I think you can connect to Lech. Not sure if the connector is a Gondola or not though, I have never taken it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement