Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ski Season 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Booked a Volvo XC60 in the end and we're going to bring 3 carry on & 2 suitcases so should be fine. Getting excited now for Passo del Tonale in late February.

Once you didn't book like a 7 seater mpv for 7 of yas to get a transfer from Geneva to Val Thorens and only realise when we get there that the back 2 seats are basically in the boot...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

a148pro wrote: »
    Outrageous snow in last two weeks. Like a full half season's worth in many places.

Plenty more forecast in the coming week too. Should make early season awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

In a bunch of years doing it DIY and looking in advance, on my experience you'll be grand. If you search on the Friday before you go there'll be very few options. Search again on Saturday night early Sunday and suddenly there'll be loads more options as the lads holding out for a week take what they can get.

The resort websites are also great - you put in your details for a "non binding request". The resort circulates your details among accommodation owners and they send you emails with offers, often very good value and good location.

You're flexible as well and I assume will have a car so could stay in one of the satellite towns further down the valley. Where you thinking? Ischgl next valley over is class if you haven't been before. I think montafon is near too and I've wanted to give it a shot.

Good advice! I was thinking Solden or Ischgl but Kitzbuhel would be nice to try. I'll take your advice and look at places as the St Anton week ends. There are many good ski resorts to look for a 3/4 night stay!

I won't have a car as the trains are so good in Germany/Austria. And, no worries about car hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Timmaay wrote: »
    Once you didn't book like a 7 seater mpv for 7 of yas to get a transfer from Geneva to Val Thorens and only realise when we get there that the back 2 seats are basically in the boot...

Ha!

No, this is a guaranteed model with Hertz so will be fine. I really enjoy the drive up to the resort and it's very handy for a big supermarket run at the start of the trip. Also, like happened on my last trip, having a car means you can switch resort very easily. Cannot wait! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

blue note wrote:
    Get a couple of lessons in Dublin before you go. I got three before my first week and it was the difference between getting to go on a (very) easy trek to an ice bar at the end of the week as opposed to being on the same three or four runs all week long (one person on our trip got no lessons before and barely got away from base station).

maddness wrote:
    As mentioned by Blue Note get a couple of lessons here before you go if you can. It makes a massive difference to your first ski holiday. It’s not just the skiing but also getting used to putting on the boots and skis and getting on and off a drag lift too.

Which is the best place to go for lessons here? Ski center Dublin or ski club of Ireland?

Both are great if you are a total beginner. I went to Kilternan and found it brilliant for my first holiday. It’s probably more difficult to ski on an artificial slope than snow and I certainly thought it made a big difference to my enjoyment first time.
    I tried the indoor ski centre a couple of years ago after I’d been on about 15 ski holidays and found it difficult. In saying that plenty of people I know tried it as absolute beginners and found it excellent.
    I would probably go to Kilternan as you get to use a button lift there too which you will most likely be using on the nursery slopes in resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

maddness wrote: »
    I would probably go to Kilternan as you get to use a button lift there too which you will most likely be using on the nursery slopes in resort.

This, and also, it's outdoor, so more likely to be windy and cold. Get you used to skiing in outdoor conditions, and having other people pass you on the slope etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

Which is the best place to go for lessons here? Ski center Dublin or ski club of Ireland?

I did three lessons in he ski centre before going on my first ski holiday. I actually did very well at them got into a bit of a rhythm by the end of my first lesson and by the end of my third was snow ploughing from side to side very smoothly. Then I got onto snow and started moving towards objects and forgot everything I knew. It took me a couple of days to start putting into practice what I'd learned.

For that reason, I'd say that the ski club of Ireland is better for a total beginner because you actually get the sensation of moving. But I suspect for top up lessons before future trips the ski centre will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Didn't think I'd be going anywhere this year but just booked 5 days in Kitzbuehel from 2nd Jan. Last year was my first ski trip in YEARS and some of you may remember that I had quite a nasty glass-in-hand accident the day before I went so was skiing with stitches in and was quite nervous as a result as I didn't want to risk bursting them in a fall. Really looking forward to this year now, it'll be nice not to be worrying so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mulbot

Just looking at car hire here-for those with experience of renting a car to drive to a ski resort, do you need the winter tyres(I just see that alot of Companies give chains with the rental but not winter tyres, and don't have them as an option). Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Didn't think I'd be going anywhere this year but just booked 5 days in Kitzbuehel from 2nd Jan. Last year was my first ski trip in YEARS and some of you may remember that I had quite a nasty glass-in-hand accident the day before I went so was skiing with stitches in and was quite nervous as a result as I didn't want to risk bursting them in a fall. Really looking forward to this year now, it'll be nice not to be worrying so much.

Hi
    Will be there from the 4th are you travelling alone

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Skyfloater

mulbot wrote: »
    Just looking at car hire here-for those with experience of renting a car to drive to a ski resort, do you need the winter tyres(I just see that alot of Companies give chains with the rental but not winter tyres, and don't have them as an option). Thanks in advance.

It's worth the effort to get them, in Austria and Germany they're compulsory anyway. I'm booking in Geneva with Budget and they have them. Hertz tend to have them too.

Skyfloater wrote: »
    It's worth the effort to get them, in Austria and Germany they're compulsory anyway. I'm booking in Geneva with Budget and they have them. Hertz tend to have them too.

Cheers. Yea I've found them with Sixt, from Turin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

mulbot wrote: »
    Cheers. Yea I've found them with Sixt, from Turin.

Did you have to pay much more?

Did you have to pay much more?

83 Euro.(through car flexi) I think that was good value,especially for peace of mind.

Definitely. They seem to work really well. We're totally unsure about driving on snow or anything approaching it and you see Europeans just tearing around.

Has anybody got any turns in yet I'm semi tempted by a pre christmas trip if get free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Dial Hard wrote: »

I ruptured my cruciate ligament last year. Just about ok now (I hope) Didn’t have surgery, just physio. Am getting a top of the range knee support and I’ve taken the plunge and booked for 18th January. Now my hip and thigh on the other side have started giving me trouble. Ah well, here’s hoping......

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

trashcan wrote: »
    I ruptured my cruciate ligament last year. Just about ok now (I hope) Didn’t have surgery, just physio. Am getting a top of the range knee support and I’ve taken the plunge and booked for 18th January. Now my hip and thigh on the other side have started giving me trouble. Ah well, here’s hoping......

Were you skiing when you screwed your knee?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Were you skiing when you screwed your knee?

Yep. Fairly innocuous fall to be honest, I've had worse and done no damage. Just one of those freak things. Happened on the second last day, and was the first fall I'd had all week.

• Advertisement

trashcan wrote: »
    Yep. Fairly innocuous fall to be honest, I've had worse and done no damage. Just one of those freak things. Happened on the second last day, and was the first fall I'd had all week.

If you have a 100% tear I’d strongly recommend getting it repaired. I did the same over ten years ago and have no issues now skiing but would feel a lot less confident without the reconstruction.

Definitely. They seem to work really well. We're totally unsure about driving on snow or anything approaching it and you see Europeans just tearing around.

Has anybody got any turns in yet I'm semi tempted by a pre christmas trip if get free

I’ll be in the Aosta Valley in Italy in a week for four days, conditions look incredible for this time of year.

I'm keeping an eye on things at the moment. A lot of snow coming this weekend but due to be stormy then warm next week, so not sure if ideal for my window. Champoluc is on short list (i've kind of fallen in love with the description of it and alanga) along with just about anywhere else in the alps at the moment (Madonna, zillertal, 3vs) and Pyrenees, but not sure flights to latter will work out.

Aosta got a lot in the recent past so should be ideal

I'd say weekdays until Christmas will be empty, but maybe weekends busy? Any pics I saw had a lot on skiers I was surprised. Do you usually go pre chrimbo?

I'm keeping an eye on things at the moment. A lot of snow coming this weekend but due to be stormy then warm next week, so not sure if ideal for my window. Champoluc is on short list (i've kind of fallen in love with the description of it and alanga) along with just about anywhere else in the alps at the moment (Madonna, zillertal, 3vs) and Pyrenees, but not sure flights to latter will work out.

Aosta got a lot in the recent past so should be ideal

I'd say weekdays until Christmas will be empty, but maybe weekends busy? Any pics I saw had a lot on skiers I was surprised. Do you usually go pre chrimbo?

Always for about 4 days a week or so before Christmas. In over ten years of going we’ve had a great time. Empty slopes and everything is cheaper too.

maddness wrote: »
    Always for about 4 days a week or so before Christmas

This could be the future - put some daylight between you and the kids before the Christmas madness, enjoy, post updates re the snow to whet our appetites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

What's the best option for transfers (2 adults / 2 kids under 10) from Munich to Soll? Was thinking of getting a car but would probably be handier getting a transfer as won't need the car at all during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

AdpRo wrote: »
    What's the best option for transfers (2 adults / 2 kids under 10) from Munich to Soll? Was thinking of getting a car but would probably be handier getting a transfer as won't need the car at all during the week.
    I've used this website for booking our transfer the last 4 years.

https://www.findtransfers.com/

Just enter your details and they'll forward them on to local transfer companies who'll come back with price offers.

The difference in prices from one company to the next is pretty amazing. Lowest offer we got back this year was €400 cheaper than the highest for a return transfer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

AdpRo wrote: »

I have used these guys previously found them good:

https://www.tirol-taxi.at/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

I'm off to Val d'Isere next week for a few days with Highlife. Staying outside the town in Le Fornet. Never skied France before, I usually ski in Austria, Mayrhofen, Zillertal, Soll, etc. Is there much difference? I know beer & food are pricey but I don't mind that.
    Are the slope classifications the same? I read somewhere that the reds can be tougher in France than Austria.

• Advertisement

The boom is back for sure, we're all nipping off before the most expensive time of the year! Val d'isere is nice, fairly high end resort so probably a bit more wealth around and prices to match. I don't remember or haven't noticed a general difference in slope rankings. In general I find skiing in France slightly less charming than italy or austria, some of the resorts are a bit space stationey and semi communist but val d'isere not like that. I also feel a little more unwanted in france generally but again val d'isere isn't really like that. It's one of the premium ski areas in the world so enjoy! From what I've been reading it's also got some of the best conditions in europe right now with more snow over coming days so you should be in look.

Advertisement