Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski Season 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Chamonix I think is probably your best bet - but make sure its still open - I think it closes after the bank holiday weekend but may also close for a few days beforehand as well. Within the valley only gran montets (Argentiere) and aiguille du midi will be open, you need a guide for the latter, the best skiing in the valley is in the former.

Very good conditions there at the moment it has snowed to quite low on successive days.

Chamonix one hour from Geneva and there should be regular and cheap transfers

Val Thorens probably still open, about 3 hour drive.

If you look at wepowder on their last report it lists the resorts that were then still open, but most are a long way from Geneva:

https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/267877

Hintertux in Austria is probably very good still, and is about two and a half hours from munich which has multiple flights per day. I was in Solden (3 hours) last week and conditions were good up high but I think its about to close. Nearby Pitztal glacier and Stubai glacier probably still open. I think Kaprun, which is about two and a half hours from Munich also still open.

Cervinia and Zermatt also probably still spinning their lifts for a bit. All of these resorts will have gotten fresh snow in the last week.

cormee wrote: »
    Next January seems, so, so far away :(

But is that because you have a timer counting down to it on the home screen of your smart phone???:pac::pac::pac:

More snow this weekend!

Russman wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I’m just looking for some suggestions for a modest step up in resort for next year. I was in Niederau this year and really enjoyed it but for next year I’m thinking maybe somewhere like Ski Welt, Zell Am See etc might be a good idea ? It’ll be my 3rd ski trip (with lessons) and I’ll likely have two first timers with me too. Kinda want to stay with Austria but would look at Italy too. 3rd or 4th week in January is when we’re looking at.

Apologies if this should have its own thread.

Maybe start a thread, but most people's minds elsewhere at this time of year

I'm not good on recommending resort for beginner - I think other people's experiences are more reliable. I was in Zell am See this year for two days and the resort is kind of wrapped around a mountain, in my mind the best resort for beginners has a bunch of gentle blues down an obvious straight slope? Saalbach is just around the corner and I got the impression it might be good for beginners.

But go on other people's recommendations. I find welove2ski.com a good website for resort reviews and they usually include a bit about how good a place is for beginners. They also probably have an old article with a bunch of resorts suggested for beginners and mover uppers.

More snow to quite low this weekend. Dolomites have had some of their best snowfall of the season, long after the lifts have closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 plalor

Hi, I'm looking at Mayrhofen Feb Mid Term 2020 for 4 nights, which unfortunately I think is the same time as Austrian Mid Term. I've checked booking com for accommodation and there's very little available.
    Sat to Sat gives slightly more availability but we're only going Wed to Sun, and what is available seems expensive.
    I heard on a similar thread that maybe some hotels haven't listed their full 2020 availability yet, and that maybe they open up to bookings for less than a week closer to the season start.
    Would that be your experience of booking this early? Or should I be looking at other sites to book accommodation? Maybe I just need to hang on till later in the year? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

plalor wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking at Mayrhofen Feb Mid Term 2020 for 4 nights, which unfortunately I think is the same time as Austrian Mid Term. I've checked booking com for accommodation and there's very little available.
    Sat to Sat gives slightly more availability but we're only going Wed to Sun, and what is available seems expensive.
    I heard on a similar thread that maybe some hotels haven't listed their full 2020 availability yet, and that maybe they open up to bookings for less than a week closer to the season start.
    Would that be your experience of booking this early? Or should I be looking at other sites to book accommodation? Maybe I just need to hang on till later in the year? Thanks!

You will struggle to get anything in the town for less then sat-sat

• Registered Users Posts: 16 plalor

Rew wrote: »
    You will struggle to get anything in the town for less then sat-sat

OK thanks for the reply, I'll have a look at some places outside the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Crystal doing 2 for 1 on Ski Passes at the moment.

Just booked our Winter Ski trip to La Tania, so came in very handy.

Countdown is on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭mulbot

Hello all. Was in Chamonix earlier this year, loved the place, just wondering can anyone suggest a resort similar to Chamonix in terms of having a central town area etc(will have some non skiers with us again) cheers.

mulbot wrote: »
    Hello all. Was in Chamonix earlier this year, loved the place, just wondering can anyone suggest a resort similar to Chamonix in terms of having a central town area etc(will have some non skiers with us again) cheers.

Innsbruck or aosta spring to mind, but I've never been to either. Small amount of skiing above aosta, resort is called pila. Bunch of other resorts within about half an hour or 45 minutes drive. Similar resorts around innsbruck I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Lads, this might sound like a stupid question but would you know if more hotels become available to book online later on in the year?

Last few trips we haven't bothered booking until September and always found plenty of options. I've been looking the last couple of days and there's very little available for the dates we're looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭maddness

It really depends on the dates you are trying to book.
    The European school holidays weeks make a big difference to availability and price so perhaps that may be part of it.

maddness wrote: »
    It really depends on the dates you are trying to book.
    The European school holidays weeks make a big difference to availability and price so perhaps that may be part of it.

Also, package companies block book dates, which can restrict availability if going independently. We had that problem last year. Only when we changed from sat to sat did options open up, but it meant altering airports etc also, and we dropped from 7 nights to 5 for one trip.

A lot of places will hold out for week long bookings sat to sat or sun to sun, then take shorter bookings the week before if they aren't full

St Anton booked

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Rew wrote: »
    Anywhere that sells gopros should have some, Conns Cameras, Great outdoors, come to mind.
    Cheers

Had a look on Conns website. €30 for 6 mounts. Think I'll stick with Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Have Laudamotion discontinued their route from Dublin to Innsbruck this year ?

I don't see any flights available.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Iamkipper

a148pro wrote: »
    "Wie heiBt die Mutter vom Nicki Lauder?"

Momma Lauder!! Momma Lauder!!! - Germans in Maxs Pub used to go Mad when this song came on

What would be good place to go for Easter 2020 for a 3 day break, just me no partner or kids. Gone to St Johann before for a week but never been anywhere for a short break. Any suggestions

• Advertisement

Iamkipper wrote: »
    Momma Lauder!! Momma Lauder!!! - Germans in Maxs Pub used to go Mad when this song came on

What would be good place to go for Easter 2020 for a 3 day break, just me no partner or kids. Gone to St Johann before for a week but never been anywhere for a short break. Any suggestions

I encountered the above classic in Solden this Easter - its high and there are glaciers which keep their snow so is a good bet for late season. About 3 hour drive from munich though.

In general terms at Easter you want to be going high, depending on how late Easter is. Cervinia (about 3 hours from Milan airports) val thorens (about 3 from geneva) also good safe candidates. Maybe avoriaz which is only an hour from geneva might still be good. I mean in a good snow year lots of places will still be good but the higher the better and some of the lower places might actually close before Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭blue note

Any thoughts on new years skiing? Is snow usually good then or do you need to go high up? And is it crazy expensive?

I think you'd be unlucky to have no natural snow, and most major resorts are running snow cannons from early season now

Re cost I'm pretty sure its most expensive time of year. A lot of europeans go skiing after Christmas. But I'm sure if you're willing to stay a bit outside of town and drive or get the ski bus you can still do it relatively cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Hi,

Any recommendations for a few days around Christmas flying to Milan?

Looking at 21st Dec to 267th. Intermediate level.

Don't want to travel too far from Milan.

Hi,

If you are up for a 2 hour or so drive maybe La Thuile? Quiet enough regarding apres ski but a nice place and lots of area. It's closer to Turin I think though

Hi,

Anything I've been to from Milan has been 2 and a half - 3 hours away, depending on which airport you land in (there are 3). I think there are some lesser well known and smaller resorts closer but it might be risky over Christmas as to whether they have snow / snow making.

Of the better known resorts Cervinia is a great resort, very high and snow sure, but is susceptible to closures due to wind. Courmayeur is nice but small, Pila nice but really only a day's skiing in it. I've heard good things about Monte Rosa / Champoluc / Gresonney and La Thuile suggested above but never been.

If you go the other directions, North there's another small resort called Madesimo heading up towards Switzerland, or if you're willing to drive a bit further and go East (3 and a half - 4 hours) the Dolomites are stunning and have amazing snow cannon infrastructure. Its colder there than the Alps generally so they run snow cannons and can get like 700km of pistes open with no natural snow. Difficult to understate how beautiful it is up there, but further drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Going to book Soll for the family, looks like going 14th March for the week.

I've always went with a group of lads in the past and we've always done it DIY but just taking a quick look at the price difference between doing it with top flight or crystal it doesn't seem to be much (if any) cheaper going DIY. Anyone know from experience if this is actually the case? Takes alot of the hassle out of organizing it by just going with an operator!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭maddness

Hi,

Milan Bergamo is just under 2 and a half hours drive to Champoluc. We went last December for four days for the 15th December and had a great time. Very quiet at night but a cracking mountain and great food and drink.

AdpRo wrote: »

I've always went with a group of lads in the past and we've always done it DIY but just taking a quick look at the price difference between doing it with top flight or crystal it doesn't seem to be much (if any) cheaper going DIY. Anyone know from experience if this is actually the case? Takes alot of the hassle out of organizing it by just going with an operator!!

It can be, sometimes, cheaper by DIY, but not always, as you can see. And yes, going with a package takes a lot of thinking out of it.

We tend to do DIY if we need things that aren't available by package. Different Start/finish dates etc.. or if we need a particular accommodation, or certain boxes ticked that we can't get through a package deal. Mostly though, we use Crystal and they're grand.

• Advertisement

AdpRo wrote: »

Hi. Yea I always book with an operator when doing the family trip. I haven't been able to get cheaper going DIY so it does take the hassle out of it.

Advertisement