Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irritating words or phrases

• 17-07-2018 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Here's a thread that hasn't been done in a while...

Are there any turns of phrase people use that really irritate you for whatever reason?

For me, referring to anything as "so-called" usually makes me stop reading or listening to an argument, because 99% of the time what they're referring to is actually the thing they're claiming to be so-called. Around these parts and in internet comment sections it's usually something like "so-called politicians" or "so-called Irish Water" - they ARE politicians and it IS Irish Water, why put the so-called in there? I automatically assume anyone doing this is an idiot.

Another one is "X at its finest", which is so overused these days and almost always wrongly written as "at it's finest". Pedantic I know, but it's annoying.

Also any corporate speak obviously, flying kites and running things up flagpoles and all that ****e.

Comments

Advertisement