Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski season 2016/2017

• 19-05-2016 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

And we're off!

2016/2017 ski season discussions here :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Woohoo! :D

Where do June discussions go?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Good question! when does a ski season officially begin?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭omicron

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Good question! when does a ski season officially begin?

Cervinia is still open from the winter (on weekends anyway) so not yet I think!

omicron wrote: »
    Cervinia is still open from the winter (on weekends anyway) so not yet I think!

A fair few of the resorts in the US are too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

cormee wrote: »
    Woohoo! :D

Where do June discussions go?

Haha I was thinking this exact thought yesterday!! I was about to post what DOra posted, and then thought ahhh sure maybe wait for at least the halfway mark in June!

I'm SO looking forward to next season. I wasn;t in Soll half as much as I'd like last season- I'm at the end of my Interfaith Minister training so am in London a lot of the time, and Soll had to take a back seat.

THE WITHDRAWALS!!!!

So the OH was laughing at me yesterday because I'm LIVING for July when I'm ordained, and life can settle back to normal a little. I will be hitting a fckng glacier ASAP.

ANDDDDD if anyone wants a SKI WEDDING you know where to come!!! I'll be on the Register of Solemnisers from July so fully legal- get planning folks!!!! :-)

xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Got the skiing addiction several years ago.
    Flights released in March so booked for my 1st half season in Italy.
    Really excited but working so much overtime to pay for it all i wonder is it worth it until i watch a ski vid on youtube :)
    Also i hope to breakthrough and get to the advanced intermediate stage , get on the powder and off the piste a bit.
    Yeah tough working so hard but get a buzz when i think of the two months off next year!
    Wake me up in winter :)

fannymagee wrote: »
    Haha I was thinking this exact thought yesterday!! I was about to post what DOra posted, and then thought ahhh sure maybe wait for at least the halfway mark in June!

I'm SO looking forward to next season. I wasn;t in Soll half as much as I'd like last season- I'm at the end of my Interfaith Minister training so am in London a lot of the time, and Soll had to take a back seat.

THE WITHDRAWALS!!!!

So the OH was laughing at me yesterday because I'm LIVING for July when I'm ordained, and life can settle back to normal a little. I will be hitting a fckng glacier ASAP.

ANDDDDD if anyone wants a SKI WEDDING you know where to come!!! I'll be on the Register of Solemnisers from July so fully legal- get planning folks!!!! :-)

xxx

How should we address you after you pass? Mother Fanny, Sister Fanny. I quite like the sound of Dali Fanny. :cool:

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Really excited but working so much overtime to pay for it all i wonder is it worth it until i watch a ski vid on youtube :)

Dear God, I can't wait until VR cameras become affordable. Record my videos during the season, then home from the pub on a Friday night, off-season, on with the Goggles, and there I am, back falling down some slope in the 3v.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

How should we address you after you pass? Mother Fanny, Sister Fanny. I quite like the sound of Dali Fanny. :cool:

Haha I shall be the a Reverend Fanny Magee. It's making my username on here quite inappropriate haha 😂

I'll put you top of the list Fanny for a ski wedding if I ever get married :)

As for actual skiing, flights booked to Geneva for December! I haven't decided where yet but I seem to keep gravitating towards Chamonix, so I'll probably end up there again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

3valleys for me next year, fair chance I'll go back with the action Outdoors which means VT however will definitely look into one of the cheaper villages lower down the valley.

Lovely warm feeling just thinking about it all! This is nearly the best part of holidays ha!

Timmaay wrote: »
    3valleys for me next year, fair chance I'll go back with the action Outdoors which means VT however will definitely look into one of the cheaper villages lower down the valley.

Lovely warm feeling just thinking about it all! This is nearly the best part of holidays ha!

Have you been to VT before? Great skiing, but you're kind of boxed in to that area, accessing the rest of the 3v is a fair bit of work, and the queues for the lifts back to the vt area are CRAZY at the end of the day. If I was going back again myself, I'd push for Les Menuires, not a pretty town (and I don't know what the nightlife is like) but in a fairly good location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Ischgl 2017 10 nights booked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Have you been to VT before? Great skiing, but you're kind of boxed in to that area, accessing the rest of the 3v is a fair bit of work, and the queues for the lifts back to the vt area are CRAZY at the end of the day. If I was going back again myself, I'd push for Les Menuires, not a pretty town (and I don't know what the nightlife is like) but in a fairly good location.

Nope never been to VT, thanks for the tips! Only thing bringing me there is the Action Outdoors, I'm perfectly fine doing a diy either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Spent my first days of the 2016/17 season this weekend at a instructors coach conference Information oerload

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Meribel Mottaret prob best location in 3vs in terms of skiing access but not much atmosphere. Have a look at resort review thread here I think I wrote up on it and welove2ski have a few good articles on locations the 3vs. It is possible to stay further down the valley but not sure if the 20 minute gondola just to access the other gondolas is really worth the savings.

I stayed in menuires this year in a really nice ski in ski out place, think it was no 1 on trip advisor, can't remember the name but could dig it up. Nice mini spa and good food. Les Menuires didn't strike me as having much atmosphere either, but as we were half board we didn't venture out.

God I fcuking love skiing....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Fattes wrote: »
    Spent my first days of the 2016/17 season this weekend at a instructors coach conference Information oerload

Piaget! Jaysus that is overkill. I thought you'd be off surfing for the summer or some such Fattes. I usually go for a week in a french surf resort at this time of year and the seasonaire staff have clearly just relocated from the slopes for the Summer.

a148pro wrote: »
    Piaget! Jaysus that is overkill. I thought you'd be off surfing for the summer or some such Fattes. I usually go for a week in a french surf resort at this time of year and the seasonaire staff have clearly just relocated from the slopes for the Summer.

I normally take all of May off, but it was just the way this particular event fell, it was better to attend it than miss it. Not much of a beach/ocean person. Will be popping up to Norway for a bit in the summer to explore and look around. I have a few weeks booked in various snow domes for work, but I try to do as little as possible between June and September.

cocker5 wrote: »
    Ischgl 2017 10 nights booked :)
    10 Nights! You'll be wrecked! :eek:

Agreed :pac:

You should pack the spare liver!!

• Advertisement

Skiing on "getaways" on RTE :)
    Austria , is it winter yet? i wanna go now!
    Few Irish folk interviewed , any posters on here?

Filmed 3 days ago, out of my way trees! Beep Beep

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Nah I've done 10 nights in Ischgl and St Anton a good few times now.. will ease myself into it :D.... my liver will have to wait !

Another day another show dome! Indoor mogul skiing!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I wonder is the weak sterling/brexit going to reduce the number of brits on the slopes this year

Rew wrote: »
    I wonder is the weak sterling/brexit going to reduce the number of brits on the slopes this year

Yes! All ready TO are offering better exchange rates than market if stuff is paid in advance, Lift tickets, etc. Will be a strange year.

Rew wrote: »

Would be great if it did! Nothing against them, but who doesn't enjoy quieter slopes more?

Hey im sure a lot of us are Irish yet get paid in sterling!
    So less of the gloating :)

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Hey im sure a lot of us are Irish yet get paid in sterling!
    So less of the gloating :)

Bankso is nice, I hear :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Looking for recommendations for Italy

Big area where I'm not gonna be bored after a couple of days and short enough transfer preferable.

I was looking at Sauze d'Oulx but the amount of drag lifts is putting me off.

Advertisement