Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where are people thinking of this year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Going first time snowboarding to Val Thorens in December.
    Can't wait, it's through UCPA, nervous as hell as I am going alone and wont know anybody :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

arleitiss wrote: »
    Going first time snowboarding to Val Thorens in December.
    Can't wait, it's through UCPA, nervous as hell as I am going alone and wont know anybody :D

Prepare to become addicted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

cormee wrote: »
    Prepare to become addicted :)

I hope so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Being nervous as hell beforehand should only add to the buzz ha. Zero expectations :p.

Still unsure about my sneaky late Nov long weekend to Val Thorens with the UCPA ha, I know it's high up and the glacier etc, but from reading up on snowheads etc aside from a freak nice dump in early Oct there isn't any sign of any fresh snow in the alpes yet at all. I'll probably risk leaving it a last minute trip 2bh, I can't see flights going up or it booking out anytime soon.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Being nervous as hell beforehand should only add to the buzz ha. Zero expectations :p.

Still unsure about my sneaky late Nov long weekend to Val Thorens with the UCPA ha, I know it's high up and the glacier etc, but from reading up on snowheads etc aside from a freak nice dump in early Oct there isn't any sign of any fresh snow in the alpes yet at all. I'll probably risk leaving it a last minute trip 2bh, I can't see flights going up or it booking out anytime soon.

Would there be enough snow in the next few weeks? This is how VT is looking right now:

screen.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ouch! Yeh will definitely be a last minute trip if I bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Japan.

3 weeks of JaPOW for 5 of us, heading to the north island Hakkaido, Probably going to stay around Niseko but am open to trips to other areas.

Anyone been?

give me ALL of the powder please

granty1987 wrote: »
    Japan.

3 weeks of JaPOW for 5 of us, heading to the north island Hakkaido, Probably going to stay around Niseko but am open to trips to other areas.

Anyone been?

give me ALL of the powder please

Very nice! Always wanted to go there, but it's so expensive! Might wait another 4 years and head there for the next rugby world cup (if I win the lotto in the meantime). How much is it looking like costing you, if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Very nice! Always wanted to go there, but it's so expensive! Might wait another 4 years and head there for the next rugby world cup (if I win the lotto in the meantime). How much is it looking like costing you, if you don't mind me asking?

I was thinking the same but to be honest if i was doing 3 weeks in Japan , i'd go for the pow and not the world cup.

They are unlikely to overlap.

lbj666 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same but to be honest if i was doing 3 weeks in Japan , i'd go for the pow and not the world cup.

They are unlikely to overlap.

I think I'd be using the RWC as an excuse. I know which of the two I'd rather be doing. :D

The powder looks incredible quality, and their snowboarders are big into buttering, which I love to watch, the only negative I can see is the trees that grow in the resorts, they're kind of ugly. But I wouldn't let that get in the way of me enjoying myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

We havn't booked much yet apart from flights. They're costing €550-590 return from Dublin to Tokyo (via Charles De Gaul). Internal flights are like €50 return up to Sapporo.

Accommodation is going to range widely, not sure what route we'll take for that yet. Probably a hostel / lodge / whatever we can find. Just noticed that Australia Day and Chinese New Year are both taking place whilst we will be in the mountains so it will probably be a bit busier than normal during those dates.

We are purely going for the powder, we all live in the park when abroad but that isnt happening this time. New Powder board is in the post for me, n i know a few of the others are getting some Prior boards sent over from Whistler. Cannot wait!

We will actually be in Tokyo for the final of their rugby league so i am tempted to go to it! G'wan the Brave Blossoms!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I think I'd be using the RWC as an excuse. I know which of the two I'd rather be doing. :D

The powder looks incredible quality, and their snowboarders are big into buttering, which I love to watch, the only negative I can see is the trees that grow in the resorts, they're kind of ugly. But I wouldn't let that get in the way of me enjoying myself!

But what i am saying is the world cup will more than likely be september/ october again and isn;t Japan season the same time as europe ?

lbj666 wrote: »
    But what i am saying is the world cup will more than likely be september/ october again and isn;t Japan season the same time as europe ?

Excellent point... so long as my wife doesn't hear it. But yeah, true, I suppose I hadn't thought it through fully. Thanks for ruining my night! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

This beautiful place in west Norway, Strandafjellet.
    It was recently voted one of Norways best ski resorts.

doc_141_14.jpg

http://www.strandafjellet.no

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Heading for Chamonix for a week, 1st week in Feb I think. 1st time in 4 years I think. Gonna be rusty but can't wait. Literally getting butterflies as I type this

evil_seed wrote: »
    Heading for Chamonix for a week, 1st week in Feb I think. 1st time in 4 years I think. Gonna be rusty but can't wait. Literally getting butterflies as I type this

Ah, it's like learning to ride a bike (you'll fall a lot) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

St Anton from 26th December.... for 7 nights...

Thinking Ischgl for mid March!!

Bring it on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭prunudo

cocker5 wrote: »
    St Anton from 26th December.... for 7 nights...

Thinking Ischgl for mid March!!

Bring it on.....

2 Austrian resorts I'd like to visit someday. Have you been to either before?

jvan wrote: »
    2 Austrian resorts I'd like to visit someday. Have you been to either before?

Do they are excellent - for skiing and apres -cant be beaten in my eyes...

Yip this is my 3rd Trip to ST Anton and if i make the second trip in march it will be my 3rd to ischgl too...

Was just in Ischgl in Feb... haven't been to St Anton for 3 years now.... cannot wait!!

Been to Saalbach, Lech and Mayerfoen also... but IMO St Anton and Ischgl just cannot be beaten... although my knees aren't the best at the mo.. so they'll probably beat me this time! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Was looking at Ischgl for Feb but accommodation looks either expensive or non-existent :(

• Advertisement

Rew wrote: »
    Was looking at Ischgl for Feb but accommodation looks either expensive or non-existent :(

How long you going for??

You looking to book it not as a package?

Ive stayed in both of these!! good value and a good location...

http://www.wolf-ischgl.at/

http://www.gradiva.at/

We always book directly via their own tourism site.

http://www.ischgl.com/en/booking/online-booking

Bit of a hint... i always email them in german... use google translate, most places arent too keen on english speaking people

works like a charm :D

How long you going for??

You looking to book it not as a package?

Ive stayed in both of these!! good value and a good location...

http://www.wolf-ischgl.at/

http://www.gradiva.at/

We always book directly via their own tourism site.

http://www.ischgl.com/en/booking/online-booking

A week and completely flexible on the package or not we have been plenty of times do DIY is not scary.
    Bit of a hint... i always email them in german... use google translate, most places arent too keen on english speaking people

Ha! I did read that its the preferred resort for Germans.

When shopping around one of the tour operators gave me a much better deal on St Anton which I was surprised at as it is reputably much more expensive.

A week and completely flexible on the package or not we have been plenty of times do DIY is not scary.

Ha! I did read that its the preferred resort for Germans.

When shopping around one of the tour operators gave me a much better deal on St Anton which I was surprised at as it is reputably much more expensive.

To be honest with you.. we normally do 10/11 nights once per year and book it all ourselves - end up not much more that a 7 days package. But my knees are knackered so breaking it up this year with two one week trips.

For one week id say a package is your better option ..

The thing is yes they are both more expensive resorts but what i will say is the ski areas are better, the lift systems are better so all in all for us we'd rather spend more and get more i suppose.

To be honest I prefer the higher resorts not just for the lift system, ski area but the apres ski is wicked and not too many lager lout singing "wonderwall" at the top of their lungs.

Now the apres in ischgl is mental.. but st Anton is apres central... IMO.

Edited to say price wise when your in the resorts St Anton and Ischgl are one in the same

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Looking at Ischgl for our first trip now too. Might stay somewhere between Ischgl and Serfaus-fiss-ladis. Haven't been but the piste maps look impressive.

To be honest with you.. we normally do 10/11 nights once per year and book it all ourselves - end up not much more that a 7 days package.

If I could convince my wife to ditch the kids for that long Id do it, so until they are coming with us I can only dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Mayrhofen, 7 of us, 9th Jan.

Webcam watch commences.

If I could convince my wife to ditch the kids for that long Id do it, so until they are coming with us I can only dream!

My wife hasn't been snowboarding with me since our son was born, six years ago. Her office x-mas party is in Chamonix most years, so she gets her fill then. I head off with a group a few weeks after. We also have a two year old girl now, so it will be at least five years before we all head off together.

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Mayrhofen, 7 of us, 9th Jan.

Webcam watch commences.

European webcams are depressing at the moment. No snow anywhere, then look at all the North Amercan resorts, already open, or opening soon. Whistler Blackcomb got 12cm two nights ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

My wife hasn't been snowboarding with me since our son was born, six years ago. Her office x-mas party is in Chamonix most years, so she gets her fill then. I head off with a group a few weeks after. We also have a two year old girl now, so it will be at least five years before we all head off together.

Could you bear to see your little one on skis?! You could bring her much earlier if yes, and it'd give her a taste for snow. My boy hasn't asked to switch to a board yet, but I'm sure he will eventually and I reckon he'll be much more motivated to stick with the learning curve because he's already mastered the skis so he know's what's ahead ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

European webcams are depressing at the moment. No snow anywhere, then look at all the North Amercan resorts, already open, or opening soon. Whistler Blackcomb got 12cm two nights ago.

It'll be a good season. I can feel it in me waaaarthers ;-)

Advertisement