Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 14/15 Banter thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭prunudo

All these posts about plans for the coming season is making me seriously jealous. The usual group I go away with is getting smaller and smaller each year. Finding it hard to get anybody to commit to anything. I'll have to start looking at alternate options if they don't get cracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Jvan, you are always welcome to come visit me!!

Photo from the Irish championships on this weekend if you are looking for something to do tomorrow morning!

Yours truly had a bit of a mare on run 1 gate 4 today but can only get better

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

If the Japanese GP weren't on I'd drop down for a look see.

Fattes wrote: »
    Jvan, you are always welcome to come visit me!!

Photo from the Irish championships on this weekend if you are looking for something to do tomorrow morning!

Yours truly had a bit of a mare on run 1 gate 4 today but can only get better

Reaching out to a boarder, that's very kind :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Picked up a 20litre camelbak hawg with 3litre insulated resevoir for 70eur in tk maxx just now. Think that wasnt a bad deal at all. Not as good as dakine heli pack but the resevoir alone are 40gbp on amazon...

• Advertisement

jvan wrote: »
    Reaching out to a boarder, that's very kind :pac:

Hey shred with boarders at least once a week!

Hey shred with boarders at least once a week!

Ah no I jest, cheers for the offer, I might take you up in it later the season though.

Even with sucky skiing on my part the weekend worked out ok :)

Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

fairplay, we taught you well in engelberg last year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Just booked a week in Tignes 10-17th Jan. Never been so looking forward to it!

Thinking about a new board.. but may hold off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Always upgrade at least one piece of major equipment per year.

There's no real reason for doing so, other than the excitement of it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tommy Crowne

Right that's La Tania booked for early Feb.
    Bring on the snow!

What widgets are you using for your home screen? Great idea!
    cormee wrote: »
    It's all go for everyone! Even my phone is set up.

2eoh66s.jpg

What widgets are you using for your home screen? Great idea!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hdn.android.countdown
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rcreations.WebCamViewerPaid (use the free version of this)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.accuweather.android

The webcam can be tricky to set up, you have to find an active webcam, get the filename of the webcam image (usually .jpg) and add it in the settings

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Right that's La Tania booked for early Feb.
    Bring on the snow!

I'll be in latania early Feb, see you there...

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭karl83

Just booked a week in Tignes 10-17th Jan. Never been so looking forward to it!

Hey mate, Tignes should be really good around then I know last year was. It can get very cold though as it's quite open and not much shelter.
    I wouldn't be inclined to buy a new board if your only riding a couple of weeks per year. If you wanna rent yourself something good for the week checkout Bazoom in Val claret. They have a burton test center so you can take your pick. Also snowpark shop in Tignes is pretty good too.

karl83 wrote: »
    Hey mate, Tignes should be really good around then I know last year was. It can get very cold though as it's quite open and not much shelter.
    I wouldn't be inclined to buy a new board if your only riding a couple of weeks per year. If you wanna rent yourself something good for the week checkout Bazoom in Val claret. They have a burton test center so you can take your pick. Also snowpark shop in Tignes is pretty good too.

Cheers man.. Ive had my Rome agent since '09. Got 100 days out of it in Whistler, and 4 week holidays since.. Just fancy a change but its all money ya know!!

Cheers man.. Ive had my Rome agent since '09. Got 100 days out of it in Whistler, and 4 week holidays since.. Just fancy a change but its all money ya know!!

I used to keep up to date in new tech but I've no idea anymore. A bit like yourself I've had a Rome Anthem for 5/6 yrs. It's still a great board, don't think I'd know where to start looking if I was to get a new one.
    If I get any new kit this year i will be probably go for new boots.

I had my own private slope tonight :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

I had my own private slope tonight :)
    The jealous rage is burning with every post you give us Fattes!! Firstly guaranteed skiing every season and having Kilternan to yourself :(

I might be lucky to get away this season, my wife is expecting our first child in January (she has herself convinced we can go for a few days over Paddy's weekend) and bar walking, I haven't tested out the cartilage I tore in my knee last February in Limone!

I suppose I'll just have to read everyone else's trip reports on here and hope 2016 is a great year!!

Enjoy, all who do go and don't injure yourselves :D it's stoopid

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hdn.android.countdown
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rcreations.WebCamViewerPaid (use the free version of this)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.accuweather.android

The webcam can be tricky to set up, you have to find an active webcam, get the filename of the webcam image (usually .jpg) and add it in the settings

Cheers for the apps cormee.. Got mine set up too! Just cant get a good webcam feed.. Only panorama ones that looked stretched but still searching!

vs2tev.png

Cheers for the apps cormee.. Got mine set up too! Just cant get a good webcam feed.. Only panorama ones that looked stretched but still searching!

Looking good! It's hard enough to find the oldskool webcams nowadays. Though onthesnow.com do seem to have some - not sure if they work, but the date stamp on some of them is from today. http://www.onthesnow.com/northern-alps/tignes/webcams.html?id=950

sallymomo wrote: »
    The jealous rage is burning with every post you give us Fattes!! Firstly guaranteed skiing every season and having Kilternan to yourself :(

I might be lucky to get away

Hopefully, you get a trip away & can ease yourself back in to it. Remember the body will take a bit to adjust.

Kilternan is quiet, for the next week or two on week nights, so it's well worth a visit as you will have the same conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

This is worth a look:
    http://www.fatmap.com/

Launching in December, only a few resorts at first:
    Chamonix, Verbier, Zermatt, Val d’Isere, Tignes, La Plagne and Les Arcs.

App is free but comes with a subscription service. No data needed once the area is downloaded to your phone.

stevire wrote: »
    This is worth a look:
    http://www.fatmap.com/

Launching in December, only a few resorts at first:
    Chamonix, Verbier, Zermatt, Val d’Isere, Tignes, La Plagne and Les Arcs.

App is free but comes with a subscription service. No data needed once the area is downloaded to your phone.

Fatmap freeride interests me. The other one not so much. I've been through many snow apps for my phone and end up deleting them all as the info is inaccurate or out of date. To be fair most are free. Will keep an eye on this one.

Xavier de la Rue recently mentioned a snow probe that could upload it's findings meaning all the data could be presented on a possible avalanche slope immediately rather then digging multiple pits. Will find the link later.

I've been through many snow apps for my phone and end up deleting them all as the info is inaccurate or out of date.

Ski Tracks had me going at 45kph a few weeks ago when I was walking into town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Ski Tracks had me going at 45kph a few weeks ago when I was walking into town.

Wish I was that fit. :D

My record speed in St Anton three years ago was 247km/h…. I know for a fact that fastest I've ever gone is 92.4km through a speed trap in switzerland. Almost s**t myself.

Advertisement