Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3 Valleys Yay or Nay

Options
  • 06-09-2014 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

So planning a trip to 3 valleys in Feb, anyone been, recommend it or slate it???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

best piste skiing resort in the world imo

(I haven't skied every other resort in the world though - Fattes has, see what he says)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Most definitely recommend it. I've been going for the last three years and I still haven't covered the whole area. The great thing about it is you can set off in the morning, go the whole day without looking at your piste map and never cross the same runs twice. Real freedom, if you're into that sort of thing!

It's a fairly short trip from Geneva.Some of the resorts are quite expensive though, I saw a burger for €24 near Meribel and I kept going. The only part of it I wouldn't be mad about is Val Thorens - I found it depressing as hell, and because of its altitude you could easily lose a day or two to adverse weather.

Also, the 3V are best suited to intermediate to advanced. And there are great opportunities for off-piste.

I wish I was going back again this year, but the shower I go with are making noises about Les Arcs.

What resort are you thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Cormee is right, its brilliant. Not cheap but the lift system and huge amount of runs make the skiing hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Great stuff, the other halves folks have an appartment in latania, so thats where I'll be based... Think its close to courchavel, bit more of a quieter area but sure I'll be there for the boarding... Have been about 10 times to various resorts so reckon I'd be intermediate alright... Woohoo bring on Feb... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

epopnomis; you cant go wrong, good lift system, enough piste and off piste for every level and interests, it can get busy and some of the connections are a little messy but, it is a trifle and you will hardly notice either.

Some of the resorts are on the very pricey end but orelle is cheap and Meribel, Le Tania and Les Menuries are pretty reasonable.
    a148pro wrote: »
    best piste skiing resort in the world imo

( Fattes has, see what he says)

Not yet but I am trying one resort at a time :D Japan, needs to be ticked off, I know someone organizing a trip and I have souled my soul to get a seat on it. The problem is the home resort and the neighbor are so good and the plans to expand so amazing & the competitive career is in its final days, I may find it harder to get an excuse to see more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Fattes wrote: »
    Not yet but I am trying one resort at a time :D Japan, needs to be ticked off,

I'm shocked to hear you haven't done Japan yet! Was reading a mouth watering (freezing?) article about Nieseko recently, supposed to be epically deep snowfall every other day (multiples of average fall in a European resort), quirky old lifts, delicious seafood.... would love it but not going to happen in the forseeable for me. Enjoy it if you make it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

a148pro wrote: »
    I'm shocked it out!

Cost, & language are the big barriers, probably looking at about €2500 for a 9 day trip before spending a single ¥¥

A few friends get to go every year as instructors with a group I hate them for that 10 days a year!! I mean hate them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

epopnomis wrote: »
    the other halves folks have an appartment in latania

She's a keeper! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭epopnomis

She certainly is.... :) If that apartment ever goes I go with it... :D

Advertisement