Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"EA Access" on Xbox One

• 21-06-2014 12:33pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Link Here

Figure this might deserve it's own thread. Sorry if it doesn't.

EA have announced a new program on Xbox One whereby you can pay a monthly or annual fee, and get some free games and a discount on EA-based DLC. At the moment, it looks to be about £20, and the first version will have Fifa 14, NFL 25, Battlefield 4 and Peggle 2 "free" (in the same way PS+ has free games). Also early access to other games, including DA:I, Fifa 15, etc.

Really like the looks of it; NFL and Peggle would be worth the starting price alone to me, and then any other free games over the year following would be a bonus, and I'd likely make up the money in the 10% discount to DLC stuff too.

EDIT: Apologies. Checked every topic BUT the Dashboard one so only just saw it's actually being discussed in there too :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Today we’re revealing a new way for gamers to play more EA games. This is something we’ve never done before and we’re excited to share it with you.

We have partnered with Microsoft to deliver EA Access, an all-new monthly (or annual) membership for gamers exclusively on Xbox One that starts at just $4.99 a month. The service is being rolled out in beta to a limited number of players today, but it will launch for everyone on Xbox One soon. At EA, we are always looking for new ways to make it easier for gamers to play more EA games across all platforms, and we are excited about what EA Access will offer to players on Xbox One.

EA Access membership unlocks The Vault, a collection of EA’s biggest games on Xbox One ready for you to download and play. During the beta, gamers will have unlimited access to four great EA games: FIFA 14, Madden NFL 25, Peggle 2 and Battlefield 4™, with more titles being added soon. That’s over $100 worth of games for $4.99 a month. You can play these EA favorites as much as you want with the click of a button.

http://www.ea.com/news/ea-announces-ea-access-on-xbox-one

Depending on how the games rotate, interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

That is interesting to say the least. Makes PSNow thing look a bit silly.

I can see it actual working.

Unless they stick it full of microtransctions of course :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

cloud493 wrote: »
    http://www.ea.com/news/ea-announces-ea-access-on-xbox-one

Depending on how the games rotate, interesting.

That's how PS Now should be - Sony dropped the ball on that one.

Only EA games, but the idea/price is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I don't currently pay $4.99 to be punched in the face each month, so I don't see why I would start now

• Advertisement

I wonder if they will actually give all DLC too? If not, then "I see what you did there EA".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Would be good if it was an easy opt in / opt out for months when you see something you want to play , would be much cheaper than renting a game or for games you can play and finish in no time.

I could imagine the likes of Ubisoft are watching this very closely indeed, After EA I'd say they would have the biggest catalogue of titles for One at the minute??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Good score for Xbox.

Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Prob do it to rent a game off ea for a month to see if I want to buy it
    5 dollar a month? probably 5euro? for new ea games ya sure why not :) but can only see this been used as a renting service, don't think I'd ever subscribe to EA yearly

• Advertisement

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Prob do it to rent a game off ea for a month to see if I want to buy it
    5 dollar a month? probably 5euro? for new ea games ya sure why not :) but can only see this been used as a renting service, don't think I'd ever subscribe to EA yearly

Thing is, its not new EA games. Those are all last years games, which will have updated version of them in next 4 months? Which will devalue those games to a bargain bin level.
    On top of that, those are specific games, that the target audiance most likely picked them up already. Show me a Fifa player, who does not update his Fifa game as soon as the new on pops up! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Speaking for myself, it would suit me great. I'm still on the Xbox/PS4 fence for the moment, and while I like FIFA, I certainly don't get a new one each year. It's all 29.99 for the year also, which is fairly decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Depends will it be updated on release day to the likes of Fifa 15, BF Hardline, etc - this could be good for those who don't want to buy into a full game...

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Fieldog wrote: »
    Depends will it be updated on release day to the likes of Fifa 15, BF Hardline, etc - this could be good for those who don't want to buy into a full game...

Their site pretty much says it won't, it will have their older collection, also will let you trial new games 5 days early, and give you 10% discount if you want to purchase new games or premium subscriptions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Hmmmm my beta dash took an update earlier I wonder if this is available to me /Goes to check

Today, EA revealed EA Access, an Xbox One-exclusive subscription service that grants players access to EA's so-called Vault.

Subscribing to EA Access will cost $4.99 a month (or $29.99 a year), and since the program is technically in beta, only four games will initially be available: FIFA 14, Madden NFL 25, Peggle 2, and Battlefield 4, "with more titles being added soon."

Play First – Membership in EA Access lets you experience trials of new EA games up to five days before the release date.* It starts with Madden NFL 15, NHL 15, FIFA 15, NBA LIVE 15, and Dragon Age: Inquisition, but more are on the way. If you decide to buy the game, your progress will carry over so you can pick up right where you left off.

Additionally, EA Access will also net subscribers 10 percent discounts on all EA digital content, which includes full games and DLC, as well as access to trials of new EA games nearly a week before they come out (with saves that copy over to the final game, should you choose to purchase it later). Games that will be eligible for early access and save copy-over are Madden NFL 15, NHL 15, FIFA 15, NBA Live 15, and Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Memberships can be purchased on Xbox Live, and will also be available at retail stores like GameStop and online destinations like Amazon. The subscription service will launch "soon," according to EA, and will be available in North America and Europe.

EA being.... not crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

So I pay 29.99 for a year to play fifa, madden, battlefield, nba, NHL whenever I want where I would normally just buy them for 60-70? Strange...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's incredibly interesting for me.

This generation, I've not only gone fully digital, but I've also swapped from being the type that buys games as soon as they come out, to being the guy that waits until they are all on sale.

It means that of the four games that are on the Beta, I only have one, Fifa, and that's only because it came with the console.

The bigger question is how often those games would get updated? How many games do EA have out on the Xbox One at the moment? This service would make more sense on 360, as they've got a larger catalogue of games to give away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

CatInABox wrote: »

The bigger question is how often those games would get updated? How many games do EA have out on the Xbox One at the moment? This service would make more sense on 360, as they've got a larger catalogue of games to give away.

Titanfall
    Need For Speed Rivals
    NBA Live 14
    UFC

EA have confirmed titan fall will not be included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Looking at it it might scupper the second hand market. EA have already tried to make some in roads into the second hand market before,those dreadful online passes that are thankfully gone now.

Its a way of making money off there old games imo,year old games for a subscription fee as most people would probably just buy second hand from retailer. This way EA get a cut and you get a cheap game all be it an older title. In fairness i think that sounds like a decent deal if the kept the games available reasonably up to date(thinking 12-18 months old maybe?). Would suit someone like me who has a backlog already and doesnt need games on release day and is prepared to wait. Also as someone said above if you like the game you might buy DLC so more money for them.

It being EA though i trust them as far as i can throw them,nearly always a sting in the tail with them jerks so have to see how it pans out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Just got this email from Xbox so looks like us previewers are getting to try it out for free alright :)
    uyr6vGn.jpg?2

One more benefit to being in the preview program, getting to try out the new EA Access for free before anyone :)

uyr6vGn.jpg?2

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    One more benefit to being in the preview program, getting to try out the new EA Access for free before anyone :)

uyr6vGn.jpg?2

Do we all get it ?

nanook5 wrote: »
    Do we all get it ?

Yeah I'd imagine so. E-mails like the 1 I got above will probably roll out tonight.

Just downloaded EA Hub app now. Only 18.85mb in size.

Benefits of having an EA Access membership include a 10% discount on EA digital purchases & getting to 'try' EA's Xbox One games five days before the release date.

Pricing options are $4.99 per month or else a very reasonable $29.99 per year :)

Just trying out EA hub now. My bad, it's not free for previewers. We just get to try it before others but it still costs either $4.99 per month or a very reasonable $29.99 per year. There's a thread for it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057258981

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Just trying out EA hub now. My bad, it's not free for previewers. We just get to try it before others but it still costs either $4.99 per month or a very reasonable $29.99 per year. There's a thread for it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057258981

It must be worth it for the four starting games alone ... And not to mention the games that will be added .....Too bad I already have 3 of the starter games :(

nanook5 wrote: »
    It must be worth it for the four starting games alone ... And not to mention the games that will be added .....Too bad I already have 3 of the starter games :(

haha yeah, it definitely is! Only 1 I have is BF4 so delighted :) Definitely getting 12 months after my initial 1 month wears out. Was only thinking of getting Need for Speed earlier. Can get 10% off that price now but still afraid because they're bound to add it to the vault soon :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Downloaded the app there. Have not signed up for it but i can see Fifa 14, BF4, Madden 25 and Peggle 2 are in the ''vault'' right now. as in you can download them when you subscribe. might take a stab at it for a month. Love the 5 day early access idea.
    edit: I traded in Fifa a few weeks ago and tried to download it there from the service but it's pretty cool that the only option to come up is ''play''. good stuff indeed.

Advertisement