Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is everyone heading this year??

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

yep :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

After spending the night in the airport waiting for the early flight I was just too knackered to be bothered with hitting the slopes for a half day on arrival. Just had a wander round town to get my bearings and then get a good kip ready for first lift the next day. Was probably a couple of hours between landing at Salzberg before the bus left anyway as there were flights in from Cork, Dublin, Gatwick, Birmingham, Bristol and somewhere else all in close succession. So there are a LOT of people faffing around looking for their bags and busses.

One thing to note is that if you're thinking of using the loo immediately on landing you might be best to go before the seat belt sign comes on on the plane as it is very crowded in arrivals and getting through passport took as while before you even get to a loo as well. :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

robinph wrote: »
    After spending the night in the airport waiting for the early flight I was just too knackered to be bothered with hitting the slopes for a half day on arrival. Just had a wander round town to get my bearings and then get a good kip ready for first lift the next day. Was probably a couple of hours between landing at Salzberg before the bus left anyway as there were flights in from Cork, Dublin, Gatwick, Birmingham, Bristol and somewhere else all in close succession. So there are a LOT of people faffing around looking for their bags and busses.

One thing to note is that if you're thinking of using the loo immediately on landing you might be best to go before the seat belt sign comes on on the plane as it is very crowded in arrivals and getting through passport took as while before you even get to a loo as well. :o

I'm a bit worried about all this but im also hard core enough to not care and plough onto the slopes regardless and die of exhaustion that night ;)

We'll play it by ear anyway.

Cant't wait after the **** snow in the 3 Valleys last year its going to be like night and day skiing this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

getting through passport took as while before you even get to a loo as well. :o

Took us well over 30 minutes to get through Sat 6th

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

juke wrote: »
    Took us well over 30 minutes to get through Sat 6th

We were in the same queue. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

dylbert wrote: »
    yep :D

See you there so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

We were in the same queue. :D

Advantage being bags were waiting for us, so no taxi delay :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Anyone flying out Sunday morning to Geneva?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Rew wrote: »
    Salzberg with Crystal?

About half our crew will be on that flight, other half (myself included) will be on the 10.50 flight... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

dylbert wrote: »
    heading to Soll early tomorrow morning, just packing the last of my gear and I'm all set, COME ON......

Let us know how it is, i'm heading out on the 4th Feb :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'm just back from Morzine. Epic misery :( How am I going to wait until next year??

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

3 weeks in Canada, Banff, Kicking Horse, Kimberly and Fernie, 2 weeks to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SlinkyKittin

In Filzmoos, 40 mins outside Salzburg. Arrived Saturday, fantastic snow, -13 tomorrow daytime temp, think its -20 at the moment, but am snuggled up under the duvet :p legs are aching, but looking forward to day 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

In Filzmoos, 40 mins outside Salzburg. Arrived Saturday, fantastic snow, -13 tomorrow daytime temp, think its -20 at the moment, but am snuggled up under the duvet :p legs are aching, but looking forward to day 3

There is nothing as comfortable as an Austrian bed and duvet post skiing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Woooooohoooooooo! Heading to St Johann soon, can't wait... in preparation, have been reading about Max's bar, and been playing with the awesome 3D piste map and vids over at http://www.bergfex.com/stjohann-tirol/ :)

Only issue is, I just can't decide whether to ski or board exclusively (and book the hire and lessons for the week via TopFlight in advance) or do both (and hire for 3 days each when I get there and take the odd private lesson)...

The OH will be skiing, she's semi-beginner (will be moving on to parallel turns I expect). I've ski'd before (15 yrs ago) but am only semi-beginner at boarding which I've tried a few times in recent years, and would like to get better at!

Assume I can just decide when I get there, and be flexible, without paying over the odds?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

If you only get to go once a year or less I'd say pick one and stick with it. Sounds like your heart is with boarding, why not just go boarding? You can still go down the same slopes just having more fun! The main point is no point being crap at both sports pick one and try to advance each year.

davenewt wrote: »
    Woooooohoooooooo! Heading to St Johann soon, can't wait... in preparation, have been reading about Max's bar, and been playing with the awesome 3D piste map and vids over at http://www.bergfex.com/stjohann-tirol/ :)

Only issue is, I just can't decide whether to ski or board exclusively (and book the hire and lessons for the week via TopFlight in advance) or do both (and hire for 3 days each when I get there and take the odd private lesson)...

The OH will be skiing, she's semi-beginner (will be moving on to parallel turns I expect). I've ski'd before (15 yrs ago) but am only semi-beginner at boarding which I've tried a few times in recent years, and would like to get better at!

Assume I can just decide when I get there, and be flexible, without paying over the odds?

If you are boarding, i'd recommend a day in Steinplatte. It has much longer, wider runs and plenty more boarders out than you will find in St.Johann! There's a free shuttle bus (30mins journey) that runs at 9am and 10am from outside the main slope (down from Max's). Don't miss Max's inside between 5.30 and 9, it gets mental and watch out for the schnapps/tequila coming down through the roof!!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Cheers guys. Looks like I'll be boarding! :) Hope Steinplatte is covered by the area lift pass!

davenewt wrote: »
    Cheers guys. Looks like I'll be boarding! :) Hope Steinplatte is covered by the area lift pass!

Yeah it's covered by Schneewinkel lift pass, which you get through TopFlight. That gives you access to 4/5 slopes around the area (all need a bus to get to from St.Johann, but all free shuttle buses). You'll have to pay extra if you want the pass to cover Kitzbuhel, but if you're doing lessons and only there for a week you won't have the time to get on the slopes there so its not worth spending the extra bit of money on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭tech

Just back from Val Di Fassa Italy, had a great week out there, Very good snow conditions and all runs open all week, Very cold there -17 1st few days.

the Costs

Dublin - Milan Bergamo Ryan Air €125 inc bag and taxes
    Apparment for 8 € 140
    Car Hire / Tolls / Diesel / Parking in Dublin airport € 127
    Ski Hire- Boots, Skis, Helmet 6 days €63 for Intermediate
    Ski Pass , €208 or €241 for SuperSki Pass

€676
    sweet as :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Off to the PDS tomorrow! Looks like we are in for a top up of the white stuff Sunday through to Tuesday then hopefully blue skies! Ahhh a beer up the mountain in the sun after a days skiing, bliss!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

Chamonix in the morning.

15 degrees during the day apparently.
    it's going to be a big change from the -20 degrees in Morzine 4 weeks ago.

8cm of snow due on sunday too. can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Val D'Isere on Sat, stoked, can't wait.

Advertisement