Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any snowsports in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 whatthe?

It was during, really. I'd say it got worse but it was pretty bad at that stage too and I was in a rear wheel drive. They were jsut closing the DSPCA when I got there so it was bad enough at that stage. Had the board in the car and said to my missus that I might head up further when we were leaving the DSPCA. She told me to snap out of it as she and my son were not waiting in the car so I could disappear and enjoy myself. fair enough ... I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Baars

Hi all, was wondering if i could possibly hitch a lift up the mountain with one of you this w/e? Have no car :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭k123456

"guys, is there any where else an few amateur dole-ers could go for a bit of snowboarding on the northside of dublin tomorrow? was thinking howth head, or is there anywhere in meath with long hills etc. anyone any ideas at all besides the wicklow mountains which are pretty much inaccessible without four wheel drive at the moment. Cheers"

deer park golf course howth,

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

whatthe? wrote: »
    It was during, really. I'd say it got worse but it was pretty bad at that stage too and I was in a rear wheel drive. They were jsut closing the DSPCA when I got there so it was bad enough at that stage. Had the board in the car and said to my missus that I might head up further when we were leaving the DSPCA. She told me to snap out of it as she and my son were not waiting in the car so I could disappear and enjoy myself. fair enough ... I suppose

You need a new Missus!!! I'm sure you're son would have loved it though!

Nah, she's alright. She boards herself. Kids are a handbrake though. Can't wait till he's old enough to throw down a mountain ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Baars

Is there any decent slopes in the Wicklow or Dublin mountains accessible with a 2WD (front wheel) car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 michellefoley

anyone know if djouce is accessible today? in a land rover

I was just on to someone up there and she said she 'wouldn't take a tractor up that hill', it's pretty dodgy by all accounts. But if ye can't get up from the enniskerry side you could always leave the car at the bottom of the hill. It's not that long a walk.

Just got a call back and there are people getting up at it but it's a risky business. Someone hit a wall there yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 michellefoley

anoyone know about stocking lane conditions today? don't know which would be better for a skiier and tobogan!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

So do pepole reckon there wil be a bit of a thaw today? Should there be enough snow left around glencree/ sally gap tomorrow??

• Advertisement

conditions aren't getting any better
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0108/breaking1.htm

or worse depending on your point of view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Anyone watching Sixone just now ?
    They did bit from Glendalough on mountain safety. Achingly beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Baars wrote: »
    Is there any decent slopes in the Wicklow or Dublin mountains accessible with a 2WD (front wheel) car?

Eh tbh no, in a 2WD I wouldnt chance it at all up around wicklow anyway. Cars abandoned all over the place up here. 4WDs seems to be getting around with a bit of patience but secondary/country roads are lethal. The more major routes around are a bit better.

Jemmy wrote: »
    Eh tbh no, in a 2WD I wouldnt chance it at all up around wicklow anyway. Cars abandoned all over the place up here. 4WDs seems to be getting around with a bit of patience but secondary/country roads are lethal. The more major routes around are a bit better.

If u can get snow chains 2wd should be fine anywhere, didn't ski today but met some boarders at the snow limit on stocking lane that came up in car with snow chains, they had no probs. Packed powder up there about 40cm easy enough to hike in if you're fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

If u can get snow chains 2wd should be fine anywhere, didn't ski today but met some boarders at the snow limit on stocking lane that came up in car with snow chains, they had no probs. Packed powder up there about 40cm easy enough to hike in if you're fit!

Ah yea well snow chains have a chance but if people don't have them I wouldn't chance it. Actually had to pull 2 people out today in cars!

Would buy snow chains if i could find anywhere that sells them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Five of us went Skiing and Snowboarding in amazing conditions on the Sally Gap Road above Luggala House and Lough Tay in County Wicklow, yesterday. Up to 3 foot base of snow and deep poweder in places. Here is the video footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27EV7nsiklg

It was an incredible day out. We were up the hill by 8.30am. Conditions were poor to start, heavy snow and poor visibility, but then it cleared and it was simply amazing. You had to keep reminding yourself that you were in Ireland. We have named the steep run from Wicklow Way track down to the road, "Face Luggala". It was amazing. Deep powder. I didn't hit a single rock all day. There was lots of hiking, but it was well worth it.

Some still photos from yesterday in Wicklow. Not sure how to paste these into the body of the post.

more photos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭a147pro

looks class, I'd say it was serious for the post xmas fitness trekking back up too

• Advertisement

What was the road like?

more photos

Nasty thaw in Dublin now, hopefully staying fresh higher up!

What was the road like?

We left Dublin city at 7.30am in a Land Cruiser with All Terrain Tyres. N11 was fine, despite heavy snow. We joined the R755 at Kilmacanogue and it was pretty OK, actually met snow plough very soon on that road. We drove to Ballinastoe car park, about 4 inches of fresh snow on the road but no problems driving in 4x4. We then headed on to Sally Gap Road and managed to drive up to the entrance to Luggala without too much trouble. The road past this point was covered in drifted snow and got steeper but I decided to press on. After some shovelling we got about another 100m further up the steep hill but then hit an impassable section.

It was still only 8.30am and snow was dry so good grip. Two of the lads headed on up on foot for a run despite the poor weather and heavy snow and I drove back down to help another friend who was in an Audi Quattro. He had gotten stuck lower down. But by now the snow had gotten wet and conditions were dangerous. As soon as you drove on it, the snow compacted to ice and was very slippy. Even my 4x4 was sliding and I had to get the lads to push me out of the ditch. The Audi was all over the place trying to reverse down the hill but despite a few skids he made it.
    Once I put my vehicle in low gears I was able to descend no problem with good control.

We left the Audi and my 4x4 lower down the Sally Gap Road and walked up. We were passed by a Nissan Micra driving at high speed, passenger reading a map. They managed to get a fair way up before skidding and spinning into the ditch. My two mates further up the hill pushed them out. They were French, so not sure if they were experienced in those conditions or just crazy.

Later in the day a red Defender with huge tyres and extra high suspension tried to drive even further up the Sally Gap Road past the entrance to Luggala but only got about 40m past where I had to stop. There were several feet of snow on the road at that stage and only a snow mobile or caterpillar vehicle would have gotten any further.

First photo attached show the Sally Gap Road about 400m below the entrance to Luggala. 2nd one is where I parked for the day and where the road closed sign was. 3rd one show how far I got up the hill - about 30m past where my mate is standing.

Hope this answers your question.

Poster King, Thanks for a very comprehensive description of conditions, so pretty tricky driving then. I was talking to someone on Kiltiernan who told me his mate had to abondon his car about that way on Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I've been saying to myself all week how I would love to own Ski's and boots, how I would love to head up there. (I'm in Bray) It looks like the Alps from Bray head. Of course the video just reminded me in a Homer Simpson DOH kinda way that even if I did have my own boots and ski's, that it might as well be whistler back country even if it is only a few miles up the road. There are no pistes up there!! Like I said, DOH! I'm only an advanced intermediate with no off piste deep...untouched...pristine powder experience....whatsoever! :D BUt looking at that Vid....it just looks legendary! So I am not just envious of your day trip up to that spectacular scenery or your 4x4 or the fact that you own your own equipment, I am also jealous of your fitness and skiing/boarding ability.

Saw some other vids on youtube from last year and that looked like people backcountry skiing at the end of the season somewhere in May, what with the patches of grass, rocks, dirty snow etc. This years video's like yours looks like it could have been taken anywhere. If you told me that was taken yesterday in the alps or Whistler or Vail etc, I'd believe you.

Wow, just incredible! Pity you don't have a rich mate with a helicopter!

Calibos wrote: »
    Like I said, DOH! I'm only an advanced intermediate with no off piste deep...untouched...pristine powder experience....whatsoever!

if you are advanced intermediate you could probably handle it a bit better than you imagine. But i guess that depends what you mean by advanced intermediate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Well I guess what I mean, is that I could ski that steepness of slope, using the same width of 'piste'. ie. Those skiers towards the beginning of the vid. I could ski pretty much like that.....on a manicured piste :D I've skied in a straight line between pistes doing that bouncy bouncy thing to keep you on top of the deep snow, but any time I tried to turn, invariably after one or two successful turns I'd catch the edge of the ski's and over I go sideways. In terms of piste skiing I can carve really fast down a blue or red and some european 'Black's' but in general I'd have to take it easier and use much more of the slope on a decent black. But like I said, my off piste is limited to straight lines to switch pistes :D

For those with the ability though, the Wicklow Mountains over the last few days must have been legendary. The kids might have been disappointed with the powder snow in terms of snowball fights and snowmen but by heck does it look perfect up there for off piste skiing.

I hope we see lots more vids from the Wicklow 2010 season :D

Calibos, you are well able for powder you just need to modify your technique a little, only a small tweak will make a big difference, ski powder

Have a look at the freeride instruction clips here http://www.ifyouski.com/Technique/home/

Another big help is wider, softer flex skis, more float makes it much easier, Freestyle Twin tips are ideal, a slalom ski would be very tough going! Also getting up more speed before you start to turn really helps as this will get the ski to float above the snow rather than be deep in it.

On Friday I had my sister skiing powder after 4 beginner lessons in Kiltiernan and no real snow experience! She borrowed my twin tips

here's the snow conditions (50cm + powder)
    18836_273596720855_640710855_4934595_5869242_n.jpg

here's the type of ski that really helps
    16348_169322224316_584929316_2882317_4893088_n.jpg

These skis are for sale but I don't know do I want to sell them anymore!

• Advertisement

Calibos, you are well able for powder you just need to modify your technique a little, only a small tweak will make a big difference, ski powder

+1

I had the same issue for a long time Calibos - not really being able to translate what i did on the piste to the off piste. Partly this was because whenever I asked someone they just said bounce. But actually there's a little more to it than that! You're well able!

Advertisement