Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will you wear a helmet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

why no atari jaguar? I might buy a helmet next year.

100% yes.

You'd be an idiot not to wear one. It's not my skiing I'm worried about, it's someone else who can crash into me.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

Have been skiing and boarding for years, never wore a helmet...until last season. Had the inevitable few bad falls as a young'un but was always fine.

Bought the helmet before my 1st trip at christmas time last year. It paid for itself on the first morning of the trip. Had a bad fall, hit a big snow cookie in bad vis and was thrown around badly. Will be wearing one for the rest of my skiing days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭erinn

i said no cause i've skied three times an never worn one but me and my bf decided last year we were getting them for this year and we are as are most of my family!!! more stuff for the parents to carry on the way to ski school while the kids give out they even have to wear their boots walking!!! thank god im not going with them this year!!! im going along with the boyf again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

I did not wear a helmet last year but have decided on purchasing one for this year. One question for those that can answer- what way do you transport it? Do you put it in your luggage you check in or perhaps in or attached to a carry on bag? Cheers in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

you definately cannot attach it to your hand luggage. In the past I have fitted it into my hand luggage bag, but things have become alot stricter in the last year.
    This year we are putting skis, helmets & clothes into a board bag, and carry our boots as hand luggage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭neil_purdy

I Do you put it in your luggage you check in or perhaps in or attached to a carry on bag? Cheers in advance.

Last 4 years i have just tied it to the outside of my backpak that i bring on as hand luggage..

Then in the middle of the flight put it on and start crying.. Let the panic begin!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I have taken it as hand luggage before strapped to the outside of my bag. But then you are at the mercy of the airline, airports your going through and security guys disposition on the day as to if they let you through.

I usually just have it in with the rest of my luggage suitably stuff with whatever I can get in it and surrounded by loads of clothes.

Cheers for the replies folks. I am flying aerlingus and from previous experience i though they were more lax with respect to carry on luggage- this could have changed however. I will probably end up doing the same as robinph - put it in checked in bag and stuff it like a turkey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

check with the airport your flying into some of them wont let you bring it back on the way home!!!

If you havn't bought yet buy it over there!!! I bought mine at the weekend as i needed it for the weekend!

after bringing boots on the plane this year myself and my boyfriend have decided that this year both pairs of boots and helmets and trousers are going into one suitcase (he has a hard case so going into that) and everything else into another and hang luggage!!! hopefully it'll be easier!!!

if bringing boots on as hand luggage...lild had ski boot bags on mon...dont know what there like but its an idea!!!

btw...my mam bought two small (weekend size) suitcases in Dunnes this time last year and there well within reason of hand luggage size and there wheelies...mite be a good idea!!! ;)

• Advertisement

Does anyone know of a place (other than snow and rock) that stock Giro helmets in Ireland(north or south)? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Does anyone know of a place (other than snow and rock) that stock Giro helmets in Ireland(north or south)? Thanks.

53' north in blanch if I remember correctly. 40 yo yos I believe. A good stock too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

To note for Ryanair passengeros:
    Ski helmets must be packed in checked luggage and if brought into the cabin will be considered “Ski Equipment” and subject to the same charge as all other ski equipment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The shift in the poll results from the last one we had just during the 2009 northern hemisphere season is quite remarkable: March 2009 Poll

Is there anyone who voted no in that poll, but yes in this one who'd like to give their reasons for switching their vote? Or anyone who swung their vote the other way as well, but there is so few of you voting no that is probably unlikely?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭LeoD

Yes it really is amazing. When facts and not pub stories show that ski injuries occur at a rate of less than 2 for every 1000 days skiing and that less than 5% of ski injuries involve some level of concussion, if my sums are right your once a year ski holiday-maker should only suffer a concussion every 1600 years. Yeah, helmets are a saviour. Especially the ones with built in headphones to help drown-out ambient sounds and other skiers in your vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

LeoD wrote: »
    Yes it really is amazing. When facts and not pub stories show that ski injuries occur at a rate of less than 2 for every 1000 days skiing and that less than 5% of ski injuries involve some level of concussion, if my sums are right your once a year ski holiday-maker should only suffer a concussion every 1600 years. Yeah, helmets are a saviour. Especially the ones with built in headphones to help drown-out ambient sounds and other skiers in your vicinity.

I am loving the sarcasm. I gather you dont wear on then.......

It saved me 3 years ago for sure and I still got a small concusson. My head would have been in 2 pieces. I'll be wearing a helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

I've only gone skiing once, for 2 1/2 days, and I didn't wear one. But on the second day I went on a black run, pretty scary stuff altogether. I wont be buying one this year for financial reasons..we'll i'll have a look for a cheap one in Germany.. but I'll definitely be buying one if I go again next year.

I used to wear one when I rollerblade as a kid so don't see it as a hinderance, just sweaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Didnt have one the first two trips I made, and while I had no serious accidents, a fair amount of wipeouts result in some sort of a blow to the head, nothing major but it knocks the stuffing out of ya. Since investing in the helmet (and not reducing my number of wipeouts, I'll work on that this year), any falls dont feel as bad.

Luckily I'm yet to test it on a serious injury.

Buy one!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭scottyboy

I only started wearing a helmet 4 years ago and it saved my life a year later. I caught an edge on a cat track on the flat, going fairly fast to get over the flat, and poleaxed into my head. Cracked the helmet from crown to ear, inside and out. Didn't even know I had done it until I got taken off the mountain. After many x-rays and tests at the medical centre, the docs were impressed that I only had a bruised back and some whiplash. They said without the helmet it would have be a helicopter ride, probably in a box off the mountain. They kept the helmet to show school kids!

Went out and bought the exact same helmet (with built in headphones this time!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Featherfoot

head.bmp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭briN_s

Has anyone got any reason not to wear a helmet besides "because I dont want to"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

As I said last year;

No for cruising around, yes for trying jumps and rails and what not.

Although I recommend everyone wear one. I've had two concussions already from not wearing it. :rolleyes:

EDIT: My reason not to is my helmet doesn't have built in speakers and I can't afford a new one. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Narkius Maximus

I haven't worn one over the past couple of seasons as I never really hit any serious speed. But just thinking about it I do wear one for biking so it's a bit stupid not wear one skiing when you could be doing potentially similar speeds in more difficult conditions in a sport that i only get to do for 1-2 weeks a year.

I see plenty of people with head injuries, bad lacerations in motorbike crashes/ car crashes/bicycle crashes in the day job. I do not enjoy talking to parents/wives/husbands etc about their seriously injured partners.

It is a dangerous sport, so why not look after ourselves a little better and at least try prevent serious injury when we are bottling down a slope. So my 1st port of call will be the ski shop to be a lid!

People still seem to believe that they are at more risk when going at speed on a black run compared to when tootling about slowly on a green. The most dangerous thing on the slopes is not the speed or colour of the slope marked on the map, it is the other objects on the slope with you. Unless your going through trees then those other objects are people and their boards/ skis.

Where will you encounter a higher concentration of people? Where are you more likely to collide with someone, or find someone blocking your way? Where is the surface that you land on more likely to be icy and hard when your head hits it? On the greens/ blues and "easy" slopes for all of the above.

Now what exactly is the danger in going down a steep black run, other than falling over and someone seeing you and laughing? You may twist/ snap a limb in the fall, but a knock to the head is the least of your worries on a black run. Unless your Scott McCartney(?), but I don't think any of us here are going that speed or doing those kinds of jumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Oisintarrant

Was up Corenet Peak last season in QT NZ, like any other day on the slopes, when I was going along happy out then all of a sudden like as if woken from sleep by a mate I didnt recognise for ages afterward!
    I thought I was in Wisconsin US, and went looking for my ex gf from 4 years ago. And kept asking was my leg sore before (pulled my PCL 3 weeks before hand).
    Vomited all the way to the hospital. Spent most of the night there in and out of consciousness. Turns out I had a grade 3 concussion.
    Vowed to never go up again without a helmet even though the doctor said it wouldnt have changed the resulting concussion very much.
    Ill admit I was daft enough to go back a few times without it but lesson learned really as I was dead against them before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭a147pro

has anyone got any recommendations for a helmet? am thinking one that doesn't get too hot, maybe has headphone access or built in headphones. and would you be better off getting one here than in France or Switzerland. saw the mask I bought in Chamonix for less in Great Outdoors

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Psydeshow

I must make a confession, I was one of the ones who voted that I would not be wearing a helmet this year. My reasons were thus: never have before (and didn't think I'd change this year) and they always look uncomfortable.

However when I went out, I was the only one in the group not wearing so I decided to rent one for the week and try it out at least.

Infinitely more comfortable than I expected but not perfect either (though presumably rental helmets aint the greatest), not quite as classy looking as my vast selection of hats as well. Also found it a bit harder to hear what was going on aorund me with the ear flaps on.

No real 'glad I wore a helmet' stories, just a few wee knocks which would otherwise have been annoying. Not sure I'm convinced on paying the €100 odd for one just yet but my mind is significantly more open to the idea now.

Just my two cents

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭LeoD

briN_s wrote: »
    Has anyone got any reason not to wear a helmet besides "because I dont want to"?
    I thought helmets were stupid until an incident earlier this week. I was walking to the shop to get a sliced pan and a pint of milk when a car flew past me doing 30mph. Luckily I was on the footpath and the car was on the road but if that car had swerved onto the footpath I would have been a gonner no doubt. Walked straigth past Spar and into the local ski shop and bought myself a helmet. Don't leave the house without it now - you just never know what's around the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭a147pro

helmet fail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

a147pro wrote: »
    has anyone got any recommendations for a helmet? am thinking one that doesn't get too hot, maybe has headphone access or built in headphones. and would you be better off getting one here than in France or Switzerland. saw the mask I bought in Chamonix for less in Great Outdoors

Giro G10, Omen, or Fuse might suit you.

They're not the cheapest of helmets, but have plenty of ventilation, and either come with audio earflaps, or have audio earflaps available as a standard option.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement