Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

XBLA Deals/Deals with Gold

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Who is Major Nelson?

(sorry if this is a stupid question, it probably is...)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Larry Hryb (Director of Programming for Xbox Live).
    His gamer tag is Major Nelson, and runs a blog on majornelson.com.

Great weekly xbox podcast too - you can listen via the site or download to your ipod.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Lordhogo wrote: »
    Do many people still play battlefield 1943 or is their any type of singleplayer as I have been looking at this for a while.

yeah - was on the other night playing 8v8 on iwo-jima for about 2 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I have to say that Deathspank is a pretty funny game. caught me off guard and had me laughing a few times in the hour I played it last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭niallon

New Release: Spare Parts

Content: Spare Parts
    Price: 800 Microsoft Points

Description: Spare Parts tells the story of courageous robots Mar-T and Chip, who find themselves dumped out with the rubbish on a strange planet. Working together in co-op mode (either local or online), the mechanical duo must find a way to repair an abandoned space ship and escape the planet before evil Lord Krung can dispatch his henchmen to destroy them. Searching the hostile environments for ship parts and currency, Mar-T and Chip will also collect upgradable action parts – such as Rocket Boots – to unlock new abilities that will aid them as they rescue other stranded robots, and battle countless enemies including the relentless Krofax troopers, hostile spider monkeys and even a Super Huge Mega Laser! Can our heroes rescue their stranded robotic friends and unearth all of the spare parts they need to make their escape?

Demo available here

Opinions seem to be that it's essentially a remake/rip off of Metal Arms, anyone have any opinions on this title?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Mr E wrote: »
    Larry Hryb (Director of Programming for Xbox Live).
    His gamer tag is Major Nelson, and runs a blog on majornelson.com.

Great weekly xbox podcast too - you can listen via the site or download to your ipod.

Cheers! :) I'll have to keep an eye on his updates from now on.

Cheers! :) I'll have to keep an eye on his updates from now on.

No probs. :)
    niallon wrote: »
    Opinions seem to be that it's essentially a remake/rip off of Metal Arms, anyone have any opinions on this title?

That's not a bad thing at all. I liked that game. Downloading the demo now (970mb), so I'll let you know later. Joystiq put up a video of their impressions. They were not blown away, but it looks pretty fun.....

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/19/xbla-in-brief-spare-parts/

Its not bad at all. I'll wait and read some reviews before deciding if it's worth 800 points.

Breaks my heart to hear a funny guy like Simon Pegg reading a script which is trying (and failing) to be funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Wow playing deathspank tonight , what a bargain that was for 600 points. Bought the other one too but kind of rue that now that I hear there is a game breaking bug that might never get patched according to the devs :mad:

WHo knows I might get lucky and not have it bug out on me , but with my track recored of hitting bugs I am not optimistic :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭niallon

Death Spank...is just not doing it for me! What's wrong with me?!?! :D To be honest, it feels too much like a N64 game, I'm talking Conkers and Banjo here, and seeing as how I still have a perfectly good working N64 that still gets regular play I can't justify forking out the points, the demo is enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

calex71 wrote: »
    Wow playing deathspank tonight , what a bargain that was for 600 points. Bought the other one too but kind of rue that now that I hear there is a game breaking bug that might never get patched according to the devs :mad:

WHo knows I might get lucky and not have it bug out on me , but with my track recored of hitting bugs I am not optimistic :(

I guess from what you are saying that it is the second Deathspank game that has the bug. Thanks for the warning. Can't think why they wouldn't fix the bug:confused:

Ooohhh... some good stuff on the way (copied from Major Nelson).

From January 25 through January 31, enjoy special one-time savings of up to 50 percent on more than 25 pieces of exciting content from Rockstar Games and 2K, including Add-ons for GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, Borderlands, Bioshock 2 and more! For details, please check your Xbox LIVE Dashboard on January 25.

From January 28 (12:00 p.m. EST / 9:00 a.m. PST) through January 31 (12:00 p.m. EST / 9:00 a.m. PST), all Xbox LIVE members will be able to try Xbox LIVE Gold for FREE!

Xbox LIVE Deal of the Week** :

Week of January 24 – Dance Central:
    Dance Central 4 song add-ons – 160 Microsoft Points for each song (33 percent off)
    Janet Jackson “Control”
    Sean Paul “Temperature”
    Ne-Yo “Because of You”
    Cameo “Word Up”

Week of January 31 – Get Wet!

Hydro Thunder Hurricane, 800 Microsoft Points (Save 33 percent )
    Aqua, 400 Microsoft Points (Save 50 percent )
    Hydrophobia, 400 Microsoft Points (Save 50 percent )

**Special pricing available for Xbox LIVE Gold Members

Xbox Games On Demand:

January 18: Red Dead Redemption, Permanent price reduction in the US and Canada
    January 25: The Chronicles of Riddick Assault on Dark Athena
    February 1: Dark Void

Xbox LIVE Avatar Marketplace:

January 20: Cool Moves collection (Kung Fu moves, flipping, jumping, and more!)
    January 20: Dead Space 2
    January 27: Military collection
    February 1: Call of Duty: Black Ops
    February 3: World Sports

Xbox LIVE Game Add-ons:

January 26: Castlevania Harmony of Despair Playable Character Simon Belmont, 160 Microsoft Points
    January 26: Castlevania Harmony of Despair Origins Stage Pack , 240 Microsoft Points
    January 26: Bomberman Live: Battlefest Bomb-Up Pack III , 240 Microsoft Points
    February 1: Call of Duty: Black Ops First Strike , 1200 Microsoft Points
    February 2: Castlevania Harmony of Despair The Legend of Fuma Stage Pack 240 Microsoft Points
    February 2: Castlevania Harmony of Despair Playable Character Getsu Fuma, 160 Microsoft Points

Xbox LIVE Arcade:

January 26: Breach, 1200 Microsoft Points
    February 2: Bionic Commando Rearmed 2, 1200 Microsoft Points

Wow the deals just keep coming !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Been a bargaintastic start to the year, all the big names seem to be having a blow out sale, this time Take Two.

Deals run until Jan 31st double check price before buying.
    Game Add-Ons
    • Red Dead Redemption - Undead Nightmare Collection - 1600 MSP 1000 MSP
    • Red Dead Redemption - Undead Nightmare - 800 MSP 400 MSP
    • Red Dead Redemption - Liars and Cheats - 800 MSP 400 MSP
    • Red Dead Redemption - Legends and Killers - 800 MSP 400 MSP

• GTA IV - The Lost and Damned - 800 MSP 400 MSP
    • GTA IV - The Ballad of Gay Tony - 1600 MSP 800 MSP

• Mafia II - Jimmy's Vendetta - 800 MSP 400 MSP
    • Mafia II - Joe's Adventure - 800 MSP 400 MSP

• BioShock 2 - Minerva's Den - 800 MSP 400 MSP
    • BioShock 2 - Rapture Metro - 800 MSP 400 MSP
    • BioShock 2 - Sinclair Solutions Tester - 400 MSP 200 MSP
    • BioShock 2 - Protector Trials - 400 MSP 200 MSP

• Borderlands - The Zombie Island of Dr Ned - 800 MSP 400 MSP
    • Borderlands - Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot - 800 MSP 400 MSP
    • Borderlands - The Secret Armory of General Knoxx - 800 MSP 400 MSP
    • Borderlands - Claptrap's New Robot Revolution - 800 MSP 400 MSP

• Midnight Club: Los Angeles - South Central Ultimate Content Pack - 1000 MSP 500 MSP

XBLA Games
    • Axel and Pixel - 800 MSP 400 MSP
    • The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom - 800 MSP 400 MSP

Xbox Originals
    • GTA: San Andreas - 1200 MSP 600 MSP
    • Max Payne - 1200 MSP 600 MSP
    • Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne - 1200 MSP 600 MSP

• Borderlands - Bandit Mask - 160 MSP 80 MSP
    • Borderlands - Moxxi's Hat - 160 MSP 80 MSP
    • BioShock 2 - Prototype Big Daddy Outfit (male) - 320 MSP 160 MSP
    • BioShock 2 - Prototype Big Daddy Outfit (female) - 320 MSP 160 MSP
    • Mafia II - Vito's Outfit (male) - 240 MSP 120 MSP
    • Mafia II - Vito's Outfit (female) - 240 MSP 120 MSP
    • NBA 2K11 - Slam Dunk Prop - 240 MSP 120 MSP
    • NBA 2K11 - Boston Celtics Jersey (male) - 240 MSP 120 MSP
    • NBA 2K11 - Boston Celtics Jersey (female) - 240 MSP 120 MSP
    • Red Dead Redemption - Lasso Prop - 240 MSP 160 MSP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

damn, i sold mafia 2 about 2 weeks ago, the Joe's Adventure DLC sounds alright...the gta DLC is also an amazing bargain for anyone that hasnt got it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom - This is awsome, bought it a few hours ago. well worth 400.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

sweet! been waiting for ballad of gay tony to drop to a sensible price before gettting it. Also got Mafia 2 a while ago but have yet to play it, is it worth getting the DLC?

Smoggy wrote: »
    The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom - This is awsome, bought it a few hours ago. well worth 400.

I dig that funky music in the early levels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Is Max Payne 2 worth buying? I enjoyed the first one on the pc years ago and I have 600 points left over.

Nephew wrote: »
    Is Max Payne 2 worth buying? I enjoyed the first one on the pc years ago and I have 600 points left over.

Definitly, I loved it, more of the same really but a bit nicer looking and imo it holds up well. Would be buying them both if I didn't already own them!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Definitly, I loved it, more of the same really but a bit nicer looking and imo it holds up well. Would be buying them both if I didn't already own them!

Just had to chime in and second Grimm's opinion, the story is brilliant in Max Payne 2. If I didn't already own it for the PC I'd get it for the 360. In fact I was tempted simply for the convenience of playing it on the xbox but in the end sense prevailed.

Great game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

what exactly does the bioshock 2 dlc consist of? is it single player levels or mp maps? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Sweet, I picked up the RDR DLC I was missing out on so can finally go on the hunt for the last few achievements in it at a resonable price.

Mighty tempted to pick up Max payne 2 as well. Absolutely loved the original one on PC years back.

Hydrophobia is down to 400 points this week , it was 1200 there a while back. Has anyone played it look like it could be ok ? Think I'll demo it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

grimm2005 wrote: »

think ill pick up one of the max payne games tonight just wondering which one is better worth the points?

take in to consideration i have never played either of those games

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Apparently it wasnt great because of a few simple flaws, the developer went back and fixed a load of things and I got much better reviews. I bought it as I heard the fixed version is much better.
    think ill pick it up too so keep us posted how it plays please

think ill pick up one of the max payne games tonight just wondering which one is better worth the points?

take in to consideration i have never played either of those games

not sure if they're still on sale? I havn't played either in a while but as far as i can remember they are both pretty much identical gameplay wise. Second looks a fair bit nicer in comparison but both great games. As the second is a direct continuation of the first, I would definitly start with the first. If you're not into it then you don't need to get the second as it's more of the same. If you do like it then you can always pick the second up at a later point (although I'd deffo try get both while they are cheap!).

I think i'm gonna pick up hydrophobia myself. I know the initial reviews were'nt great but as mentioned above the developers released a huge overhaul patch called Hydrophobia Pure. Played a bit of the demo and it seemed to be a pretty huge game and very well made for an arcade game so for 400MSP i reckon it'll be hard to be dissapointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

ironman 2 in HD is 380 on Zune today, tempting to see scarlett in leather again!

any idea when deathspank will be on offer again? im raging i missed that deal:mad::mad::mad:

For the next few weeks.... (taken from here)
    Xbox LIVE Deal of the Week** :

Week of February 7 – Retro Shooter:
    Duke Nukem Manhattan Project, 400 Microsoft Points (50 percent off)
    Space Invaders Infinity Gene, 400 Microsoft Points (50 percent off)
    Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2, 400 Microsoft Points (50 percent off)
    Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter, 400 Microsoft Points (67 percent off)
    Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter, 400 Microsoft Points
    Galaga Legions, 400 Microsoft Points (50 percent off)

Week of February 14:
    Blacklight: Tango Down, 600 Microsoft Points (50 percent off)
    Risk Factions, 400 Microsoft Points (50 percent off)

**Special pricing available for Xbox LIVE Gold Members

Xbox LIVE Avatar Marketplace:
    February 16: Hard Corps: Uprising collection
    February 16: Beyond Good & Evil HD collection
    February 16: Full House Poker collection
    February 16: Bejeweled Blitz LIVE collection
    February 16: Torchlight collection

Xbox LIVE Game Add-ons:
    February 8: Mass Effect 2 Alternate Appearance Pack 2, 160 Microsoft Points
    February 8: The Biggest Loser: Ultimate Workout Pilates, 400 Microsoft Points
    February 15: Marvel Super Hero Squad Thanos Throwdown, 400 Microsoft Points

Xbox LIVE Arcade:
    February 9: TNT Racers, 800 Microsoft Points and available worldwide
    February 9: Stacking, 1200 Microsoft Points and available worldwide (except Japan)

Xbox 360 Games on Demand
    February 8: Darksiders
    February 8: Mini Ninjas
    February 15: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
    February 15: Rapala Tournament Fishing!
    February 15: Aliens vs. Predator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

The following have now been priced, taken from Major Nelson

February 16 Hard Corps: Uprising, 1200 Microsoft Points
    February 23 Bejeweled Blitz, 800 Microsoft Points
    March 2, Beyond Good & Evil HD, 800 Microsoft Points