Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Monitored Alarm

Options
  • 25-05-2020 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Upgrading from a stand alone to a monitored alarm and was wondering what company others use to comply with SI 307 2009?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Eircom,but so long as they are PSA registerd [by law they must be] and fullfill the standards.It's just a matter of finding one that fits your wallet.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

I went through it and make sure its monitored by the like chubb if its a smaller company (chubb will monitor alarms for smaller companies)
    Make sure you get absolute confirmation from the alarm company its up to scratch to for firearms :pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Eircom,but so long as they are PSA registerd [by law they must be] and fullfill the standards.It's just a matter of finding one that fits your wallet.

Eircom haven’t done intruder alarms since they sold PhoneWatch years ago.
    Most of their alarms were considered to be lacking by many in the industry as they generally provide no perimeter protection. This means that an intruder has to be in the property as opposed to trying to gain entry to activate the alarm. It also means that a part guard setting is not possible.

Just about any PSA registered installer can meet and exceed the needs of any firearm owner. The most popular alarm manufacturer in Ireland is most likely HKC. That means that it is easier to get a competitive price for HKC and always easy to get parts or change contract. That is not to say that there are not other good makes out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

2011 wrote: »
    Eircom haven’t done intruder alarms since they sold PhoneWatch years ago.
    Most of their alarms were considered to be lacking by many in the industry as they generally provide no perimeter protection. This means that an intruder has to be in the property as opposed to trying to gain entry to activate the alarm. It also means that a part guard setting is not possible.

Just about any PSA registered installer can meet and exceed the needs of any firearm owner. The most popular alarm manufacturer in Ireland is most likely HKC. That means that it is easier to get a competitive price for HKC and always easy to get parts or change contract. That is not to say that there are not other good makes out there.

HKC is what i have and its definitely easy to use and the main control panel offers alot of expandability

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭freddieot

HKC is what i have and its definitely easy to use and the main control panel offers alot of expandability

+1 on this. Avoid system that only use PIRs (often called movement sensors) ., as they require someone to be in a room before they activate. Better systems have inertia sensors on the access points such as windows etc. and will detect attempted break-ins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭breakemall

Thank you for the responses, I suppose the main issue is the monitoring by a PSA service rather than the hardware? Which service do you use?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

breakemall wrote: »
    Thank you for the responses, I suppose the main issue is the monitoring by a PSA service rather than the hardware? Which service do you use?

The cheapest. They all provide the same services.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭freddieot

I'm in Dublin and use a company called Cuala. They installed the alarm 15 years ago. I have a maintenance \ monitoring contract with them.

The actual monitoring is done is done by some other company on their behalf. This has changed over the years but I don't care as long as it works, and it does. I've set it off about once a year \ 18 months by accident and they always take action within the first couple of minutes, sometimes before I can dial the number to tell them it's a falsie alarm ..

Point is don't just look at Eircom, ADT, Chubb etc. As a previous post said they all do basically the same thing, as long as you use a reputable company.

freddieot wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin and use a company called Cuala. They installed the alarm 15 years ago. I have a maintenance \ monitoring contract with them.

I know them. They use the Siemens / Vanderbilt systems a lot. It is a good system although not many others do it so prices are less competitive.
    The actual monitoring is done is done by some other company on their behalf.

This is very normal and completely acceptable.

Advertisement