Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are there paid shills, hired trolls, and web bots on boards.ie?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Billy86 wrote: »
    Well there was one poster who couldn't twist and turn fast enough to agree with everything Putin related, from the US election to Ukraine, but they've not posted in a good eight months. I mentioned in one of the threads though that there has been a 'peculiar' uptick in the number of abortion themed threads on AH in recent weeks, it'll be interesting to see if that continues to ramp up and up between now and the referendum.

Typically....

Reddit is notorious for shills and web bot accounts, to the point that it is no longer a human site-I would say almost all the content is automatically generated.

The Politics forum there is the most notable example. It's just hundreds and hundreds of Trump hit pieces every day. It was very notable the day after he won the election, the anti-Trump content suddenly stopped.

I suspect it's because this is when the shillbots had their contracts expire. They've since returned with a vengeance though.

Another good example is the 'askreddit' forum. It's pretty much the same questions repeated every few months, with practically the same answers being regurgitated in a slightly different format.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

It's just hundreds and hundreds of Trump hit pieces every day.

I wonder can he help with the North, like Bill Clinton did?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭LewisR

Yvanehtnioj
    Yvanehtnioj
    Yvanehtnioj
    Yvanehtnioj

Meanwhile, FF have proposed that using web bots to influence public opinion should be a crime.
    Squeaky bum time for a few notable boardsies I would say....
    New Bill proposes action against fake social media accounts
    Government’s strategic communications unit targeted in Fianna Fail legislation

The use of internet “bots” to manipulate online political debates and influence campaigns would become a crime under a Private Members’ Bill to be introduced in the Dáil on Wednesday.
    New rules requiring transparency on the funding sources of online political advertising are also included in the Online Advertising and Social Media (Transparency) Bill which Fianna Fáil TD James Lawless has drafted.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/new-bill-proposes-action-against-fake-social-media-accounts-1.3316254

It would be interesting to see just what the Leo's 'Strategic Communications Unit' is getting up to behind closed doors. Their budget for next year alone is €5 million euros :eek:

https://www.thejournal.ie/strategic-communications-unit-cost-3639125-Oct2017/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Billy86 wrote: »
    Well there was one poster who couldn't twist and turn fast enough to agree with everything Putin related, from the US election to Ukraine, but they've not posted in a good eight months. I mentioned in one of the threads though that there has been a 'peculiar' uptick in the number of abortion themed threads on AH in recent weeks, it'll be interesting to see if that continues to ramp up and up between now and the referendum.

Typically though, I wouldn't expect it on here much. You can find them on reddit really easily in any subreddit based on politics, abortion, or anything along those lines (they usually beef their accounts up early on with memes, sports and gaming posts to get easy upvotes and to look like a genuine account).

It makes more sense for them to move in waves, and while we did have a wave of pro Trump accounts register in the months leading up to the US election that quickly vanished after as another example, I really don't think boards is a big enough target or Ireland a 'relevant' enough player for it to be worth the effort, and by and large these guys tend to try to hit hard and fast en-masse to control the narrative, rather than individually where their comments can just slip through the net unnoticed. If we had another Lisbon referendum type situation though (and I suppose for some interests, abortion would qualify) then I could see them having use on boards.

Good, quick video on how these accounts work on Reddit in particular for anyone confused (the same principle easily translates into other platforms like Twitter, and while I'm sure there are other methods it also shows why this type on a 'traditional' forum setup like boards would be less successful e.g. no upvote system for prominence).
    3 years since the user I was thinking of posted.

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=436119&sort=newest

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

We should be seeing some Israeli ones popping up in the next while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Meanwhile, FF have proposed that using web bots to influence public opinion should be a crime.
    Squeaky bum time for a few notable boardsies I would say....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/new-bill-proposes-action-against-fake-social-media-accounts-1.3316254

It would be interesting to see just what the Leo's 'Strategic Communications Unit' is getting up to behind closed doors. Their budget for next year alone is €5 million euros :eek:

https://www.thejournal.ie/strategic-communications-unit-cost-3639125-Oct2017/

More nonsense ramblings from the opposition.

Claiming it to be something it's not.

Fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

It would almost reduce you to tears! Fianna Fail who destroyed this country with their culture of back handers, brown envelopes, the Galway races "tint", cowboy builders and speculators now want new rules requiring transparency of political funding!
    But if the good people of Ireland forgive and forget then thats the way it goes I suppose .....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The only interest I think we might have to states who use "web-brigades"/"50 cent army" paid trolls to influence public opinion in democracies is that we are an EU member (so they could perhaps affect workings of the EU by influencing Irish public opinion in the right way, seems a long shot though).

I would think the more powerful or just more populous states within the EU (more important for QMV decisions in EU) would make better targets.

One thing that occurs is the fact we speak English means they can get a two-for-one and target much the same propaganda / teams of trolls at both ourselves and the UK.

Our importance for this type of operation might rise when UK leaves the EU. We'll be pretty much the only EU member state they could use teams of English-speaking trolls on - they need fluent French speakers for France, Polish speakers for Poland etc etc which must be harder than getting trolls who are passably fluent in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I'm going to really show my ignorance here, but it anonymous so here goes. I get what a paid troll but what is a web bot. Was that the phrase? Does it automatically generate content without any human interaction.

• Advertisement

And what is a paid shill?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭circadian

3 years since the user I was thinking of posted.

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=436119&sort=newest

Just over two years for their similarly named counterpart https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=720459&sort=newest

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Imagine getting paid money to talk pure sh online and trying to explain it to the folks :pac:
    "My Henry just qualified as a doctor, what's your Michael up to these days?"

"He talks sh1te on the internet."

"My Henry just qualified as a doctor, what's your Michael up to these days?"

"He talks sh1te on the internet."

He works in "marketing"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Mr.S wrote: »
    Someone paid to post positive things about a company / brand / political party / cause etc

Boards is rife with it.

How do we describe those who have an unhealthy obsession with hating a particular political party, country, ideology, person/persons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

More nonsense ramblings from the opposition.

Claiming it to be something it's not.

Fake news.

I don't know, whatever about the current group they appear to be targeting with it, having laws in place regarding issues like this could be very helpful to protect against the much more damaging nonsense seen in the US and UK last year (not referring the election/referendum results so much as the fake news/social media bot/etc campaigns). As to how effectively Ireland could police it without the greater EU being involved however, would concern me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

Certain posters have a very noticeable trend of only appearing for certain topics, and disappearing again until the next similar debate pops up. (There are also certain posters who group together and thank each others posts repeatedly, but they seem be to more partisan in nature.)

To be honest here I would say that there are a few topics that I find really interesting and I think the best discussion or argument, for me, is contained within those topics. I'm not Russian though. I'm not a bot.

I would say I basically see Boards as a form of entertainment primarily and a source of news to a lesser extent. Participation is just a nice bonus, really.

I think the opinion you've presented above puts you in a bit of a strange situation yourself.

By saying a certain group of people always show up on certain topics and are partisan in nature you have already "poisoned the well" when it comes to discussion on that topic.

Implying that people on one side of an argument must be "fake" or "bots" or "Russian" before the discussion even gets going is just a tactic.

when someone uses that tactic it brings their motivations into doubt.

What if there are a bunch of bots that go around accusing other people of being bots? How do you untangle that? Botception! BWWWAAAAAAM!

Let's say there is a pro-choice vs "pro-life" debate going on and the pro choicers are accusing the pro lifers of all being "bots" or evangelical american backed paid accounts or some such. Then how do we know that actually the pro choice crowd are not also paid shills trying to undermine the genuine pro life people?

Imagine going into a discussion with the idea already set in your mind that anyone who disagrees with you is a fake Russian account. How are you not totally blinkered at that stage? How would you even be able to think rationally?

Such posters have already decided that not only are they right but that they also know what everyone else is thinking and that anyone who wants to offer any contradictory points must be a fake or a troll account.

In the wake of Trump and Brexit it seems like a lot of people are using these "bot" situations as a tactic to control the discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

That's the point though, to stir things up, cause division and distrust.

Bomb Syria to generate a huge influx of refugees, while promoting anti-immigration politics throughout Europe.

It's not about trying to win people to their cause, it's about weakening and undermining western democratic nations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

That's the point though, to stir things up, cause division and distrust.

Bomb Syria to generate a huge influx of refugees, while promoting anti-immigration politics throughout Europe.

It's not about trying to win people to their cause, it's about weakening and undermining western democratic nations.

Definitely and they seem to be doing a terrifyingly good job of it.

In the US it looks like you've got large sections of the population who simply cannot accept any kind of disagreement. The amount of people I see online talking about "Nazis" and "SJWs" is ridiculous.

Everyone is losing their mind over fringe groups that should not be allowed anywhere near positions of power and that "outrage" is giving those groups the power they need to exert influence.

DONALD F*CKING TRUMP IS THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

Something is seriously, seriously, wrong here. How did this happen?

If you have an opinion that questions either of these 2 extreme sides? Prepare to be hounded, banned, blocked, whatever. They simply will not accept any criticism. The side that hounds you most? Of course you are going to vote against their interests, no matter what. It makes sense.

However, these groups seem to be driven by Americans venting their various frustrations on the Internet. Sometimes it seems like they are about to go to war with each other over tweets and memes.

The whole thing is driven by people in the US. At least it has started in the US. Maybe the Russians are nudging things along but I don't think the sole responsibility lies with the Russians.

It might be a good time for everyone to look at their internet activity.

I see well meaning people who are not bots spreading outright lies and misinformation and I wonder "why would you do this".

I have a friend on Twitter who lives in Ireland but posts about "Nazis" 20 to 30 times a day. EVERY DAY. I tried saying "maybe dial it down" but I got the old WW2 happened because people didn't protest the Nazis line.

This person is a good person. Really a good person but they just can't help themselves at this point. They just NEED to "win" and be right on the Internet.

A lot of times it's real people who KNOW the truth about a situation but they will share the lie because it suits their agenda or makes them feel good.

I think that this could almost be worse than bots or trolls or shills. The genuine guy or girl who just wants their dopamine hit now and to hell with the consequences.

I think I'm guilty of it sometimes too. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

"Cause this is Shiller! Shiller night! And no one's gonna save you from the Bots about to strike....."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's a load of right-wing, "new" accounts constantly starting up new threads to whinge about "SJW's", muslims and foreigners.

I'd bet that it's one, maybe two people behind it all and whinging over at Voat about boards at the same time.

Mod actions have to be questioned here too though. It'd be easy to stop these brand new troll and dump accounts by either having a minimum post requirement to post here or a waiting time between signing up and posting on AH.

It's a shame because it's making AH a place where I spend less and less time and somewhere like r/ireland becomes much more appealing because it's self-policing and the troll accounts generally get spotted and down-voted into oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

kbannon wrote: »
    It is very scary.
    I read yesterday how Brexit is a plot by the Germans to lead us towards a WWIII in order to help push the German manufacturing industry. Apparently the French are helping as they have been promised billions by German banks.
    This was backed up by so many facts in secret research papers which are being withheld by governments across Europe.
    Our governments are complicit and lying to us all.

aahahahaha, that's the most crazy stuff I read in a while...I strongly presume it was meant as a joke...although the last sentence is of some insight..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Im doing my bit

but so far

no cheques have arrived

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

People with different opinions than you OP aren't paid trolls or bots.
    People have different opinions, people will have some opinion that annoys you - everyone does.
    This generation can't take anything different, it's agree with us or "Shut them DOWN SHUT THEM DOWN!! HATE SPEECH HATE SPEECH"!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

joe40 wrote: »
    He works in "marketing"

He's an "influencer"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

There is definitely at least one poster on Boards that goes into topics and takes the least popular view, whatever that may be and just riles everyone up.

I'm becoming convinced they're paid by Boards just to keep threads going because most threads are dying a quick death now.

pilly wrote: »
    There is definitely at least one poster on Boards that goes into topics and takes the least popular view, whatever that may be and just riles everyone up.

I'm becoming convinced they're paid by Boards just to keep threads going because most threads are dying a quick death now.

"No, you're wrong". ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

pilly wrote: »

You seem surprised by that. This is common in all media. Radio phone in shows, opinion articles and especially online fora etc.

Hey we even had an Admin stepping down to do a Mod Job there a few pages back :) I noticed Zaph...

And no one has spoken about business yet.

With 33% of traffic coming in from web search, being a Top 25 site and most importantly a healthy average on site time of 8 and a half minutes per visitor, make no mistake it will be targetted. Irish do love to talk but make no mistake this is a business.

But lets not forget the first rule of fight club... :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

STB. wrote: »
    Hey we even had an Admin stepping down to do a Mod Job there a few pages back :) I noticed Zaph...

I did? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Zaph wrote: »
    I did? :confused:

Aha. Thought no one noticed eh.

You can blame the russians all you want :)

Advertisement