Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gallery Rifle

Options
  • 23-10-2017 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of taking up gallery rifle shooting, and I'm wondering is it possible/are there competitions where people are shooting using iron sights? Every picture of gallery rifle shooting that I find seems to involve scopes/optics.

Don't ask me why, I can't explain it, but I don't find shooting with a scope fun, so that would put me off it :-(

Also in related notes, gallery rifles are generally restricted firearms, right? How hard is it to get approved for one? I already own a break action shotgun, that I'd trade in for the gallery rifle, if I decide to do pick up gallery rifle shooting, and I have a gun safe.

And a last question: How much are bullets (.38 / .357 magnum)? I can't seem to find them in any online shops.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BillBen

You can shoot iron sights if you want but you might be at a disadvantage to the shooters using optics. Regarding the type of restricted rifle used. They are mainly marlin and Rossi .38 leaver action but theses are hard to get at the moment.The rounds are €16 a box for standard. Nobody uses magnum rounds for most of the comps that are shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Wildcard7 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm thinking of taking up gallery rifle shooting, and I'm wondering is it possible/are there competitions where people are shooting using iron sights? Every picture of gallery rifle shooting that I find seems to involve scopes/optics.

Don't ask me why, I can't explain it, but I don't find shooting with a scope fun, so that would put me off it :-(

Also in related notes, gallery rifles are generally restricted firearms, right? How hard is it to get approved for one? I already own a break action shotgun, that I'd trade in for the gallery rifle, if I decide to do pick up gallery rifle shooting, and I have a gun safe.

And a last question: How much are bullets (.38 / .357 magnum)? I can't seem to find them in any online shops.

Thanks!

Gallery Rifle is shot by a lot of clubs at the moment. I myself shoot competition in the small bore category using a Ruger 1022,unrestricted, there are one or two lads using iron sights but you will be landed in with the scoped rifles in competition but there is nothing stopping you competing for fun at club or National level shooting iron sights.
    38/357 rifles are restricted but it's the same detail for shooting just a different category "Centrefire Rifle" and the cost of running a 357 is about €16/18 for a box of 50rds.
    Maybe shoot it with a .22 auto rifle for a while and see what you think.
    I know there is something happening in November for promoting Gallery Rifle so as soon as I know more I'll PM you..
    you can lend my scoped rifle for a few details if you want to try it out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

Thanks for the replies, that clears it up.
    There are currently two Rossi 92 up for sale at my local range (assuming the online shop is up to date). They look very tempting.
    Maybe shoot it with a .22 auto rifle for a while and see what you think.
    I know there is something happening in November for promoting Gallery Rifle so as soon as I know more I'll PM you..
    you can lend my scoped rifle for a few details if you want to try it out..

Thank you for the offer :-) I know what shooting a rifle feels like, short and longer distance (Swiss citizen here, mandatory army service). I just have to sleep over it now to make up my mind. But yes if you have any information about the promotional event I'd be happy if you could send me that, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Buckmark1

What range are you member of Wildcard as a few of the lads up there could help you with equipment and give you advice starting out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭clivej

The only rifle shot using open sights in Gallery comps. is the 30 cal M1 carbine, a restricted firearm because its a centerfire semi-auto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Buckmark1

clivej wrote: »
    The only rifle shot using open sights in Gallery comps. is the 30 cal M1 carbine, a restricted firearm because its a centerfire semi-auto.

You can also shoot lever action iron sighted as well you are just at a disadvantage over the scope. The NRA and BDMP have a large participation in iron sighted gallery rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭clivej

Buckmark1 wrote: »
    You can also shoot lever action iron sighted as well you are just at a disadvantage over the scope. The NRA and BDMP have a large participation in iron sighted gallery rifle

True yes you can, but only the M1 carbine must only use iron sights, no scopes.

The NRA UK have different comps. for the lever action open sights.

Advertisement