Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long until I get the first offer on my house

Options
  • 28-09-2020 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

I would really appreciate some insight on my current situation.

I put my house up for sale 2.5 weeks ago. Since then it had 3k views on daft and 3 open viewings with 29 different people in total. The agent tells me that those are good numbers but that people usually take their time to make an offer and usually don't want to be the first to make one so they wait.

It's a nice 4-Bed family oriented house in Dublin 7. It has many great features and can well compete in terms of it's value and asking price with what I see on the market currently, for D7 at least. On top of that the volume of available houses is tiny currently.

Yet I have no offer till now which starts making me worried because when I was house hunting myself years ago and I liked a property, I would make an offer within 1-2 days of the viewing.

Maybe I am the exception and people usually take their time or you think I should be getting offers by now?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

ilias wrote: »
    Hi all,

I put my house up for sale 2.5 weeks ago. Since then it had 3k views on daft and 3 open viewings with 29 different people in total. The agent tells me that those are good numbers but that people usually take their time to make an offer and usually don't want to be the first to make one so they wait.

It's a nice 4-Bed family oriented house in Dublin 7. It has many great features and can well compete in terms of it's value and asking price with what I see on the market currently, for D7 at least. On top of that the volume of available houses is tiny currently.

Yet I have no offer till now which starts making me worried because when I was house hunting myself years ago and I liked a property, I would make an offer within 1-2 days of the viewing.

Maybe I am the exception and people usually take their time or you think I should be getting offers by now?

Thanks a lot.
    Open viewings are a waste of time. You'll get all sorts of tyre kickers. How many follow up viewings?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

How did you have open viewings with the restrictions in Dublin?

JeffKenna wrote: »
    How did you have open viewings with the restrictions in Dublin?

Its a business, not a social event

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ilias

They do it in slots, there might be 12 people that come to visit the house but they are only allowed in 2-3 at a time which is based on the regulations from what the agent told me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Ah, more interested than anything else. thanks and best of luck with the sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ilias

Open viewings are a waste of time. You'll get all sorts of tyre kickers. How many follow up viewings?

I am afraid of that too, but I dont think I can force the agent to do private viewings, would also be too complicated as I still live in the house. Had 2 people that brought back their partner. One said it's a no, the other couple still to answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

That seems like a slow start.
    My friend is selling similar. First viewing last Monday, three offers in so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

I’m not in the Dublin market but found Cork sometimes can be a bit slow to start but it’s more waiting for the first person to put in the first offer under asking and then the other offers come in.

But you do need to consider the asking price. Is it fair and realistic for the property? Or is it on the high side? If so, I would say lower it and get more viewers in and bids started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Ours is on the market 2.5 weeks, we've had about 9 viewings and one offer (19k below the asking price)

Had 2 viewings late this evening so I will hear from the EA tomorrow morning hopefully.

I'm in the south. Like you, I too am worried as all the houses around here lately seem to go sale agreed fast. I just hope we get the asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Maybe you set the price to high, our you presented it badly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Electronic Writer

Hi all,

Thanks a lot.

I've moved house a few times and the house will sell when the house sells. Daft numbers are just window shopping , I looked at over 1000 daft properties , no doubt , before I moved to where I am now .

Judge things in a year .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Hi all,

Thanks a lot.

Have you a link to the property, if you have had that many viewings, you should have had offers within a day or two after the viewings.

Your EA should be vetting the viewers, you will always get a few test pilots/ tyre kickers in the mix.
    Usually you will get an investor in the mix to low ball you on the asking price, there are a lot of folks who will be running out of time on there mortgage approval(6 months usually).

You have a short sales space between now and Mid December when the market closes for Xmas.

Btw does the house need substantial investment to bring it up to modern spec, energy rating etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Is it not normal to have at least a 2nd viewing before putting an offer in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

theteal wrote: »

Loads of offers coming in for first time viewings at the moment as there is a supply shortage

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MildThing84

If its the house in McKee Park, it's a cracker but it is still a lot of money for somebody to part with. It will be a long burner and will attract a smaller pool of people given the asking price.

Lift and move the house 2km towards Kilmainham and you'd have it sold by now :)

Have a good look at the ad on Daft. Or have a friend do it for you, to see if the pictures used are good enough to draw people in.

Frankly the majority of pics I see used to sell homes are awful. Make sure you present the best picture first, so its what people see to pique their interest.

If you have a beautiful garden, use that, a beautiful kitchen same thing. Dont lead with pic of smallest bedroom, if you follow me. People wont be interested enough.
    Make sure counter tops are as uncluttered as possible. Make sure bathroom is sparkling, Bleach the toilet, the amount of dirty toilets I have seen is ads :) Its awful and is extremely off putting. Clean bath and shower and also taps, so they are shining.
    Tidy up the garden, cut grass, pick up leaves and if you have weeds coming through concrete, remove them.
    Highlight the good features that you mentioned

Try to declutter the house as much as humanly possible whilst still living there. Difficult I know. But make the house look as large and uncluttered and airy as possible. Dont use any pictures taken at night time of the indoors.

Take new pics and add to site, see if it helps draw people in. Keep in close contact with agent. Many of them are slow to respond and this can also lose perspective buyers. They just move on to the next house or viewing.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

No, Ive had offers after a 1st viewing previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I am guessing you are at the higher end of the market for Dublin 7 and maybe people are expecting houses at that level will fall in price over the next few months? It's just a guess, but I have one or two mates that have a budget of 450/500k and looking to move to Cabra/Navan Road/Stoneybatter etc. but they have changed their minds on extending themselves and are just keeping an eye on the market in case they are lucky with someone eager to sell.

Banks are tightening their rules too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

If its the house in McKee Park, it's a cracker but it is still a lot of money for somebody to part with. It will be a long burner and will attract a smaller pool of people given the asking price.

Lift and move the house 2km towards Kilmainham and you'd have it sold by now :)

If it is this house, and I don't know if it is - it has so much going for it and I adore the kitchen/dining area, BUT I would have some concerns about the attic conversion based on the photos. It appears that the ceiling and wall there are stained? Any potential issues with roof leaks would be a red flag or dealbreaker for many.

If it is the same one, I looked at it last night and it looks a bit 'lived in'! I would find that off-putting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MildThing84

Lux23 wrote: »
    If it is the same one, I looked at it last night and it looks a bit 'lived in'! I would find that off-putting!

How are houses supposed to look? What does "lived in" even mean in this context?

I'd much rather see a house in it's true form (and might i add it looks great) than a showhouse that is vain and artificial.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

Any luck yet I’m on market two weeks one offer under value from investor

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How are houses supposed to look? What does "lived in" even mean in this context?

I'd much rather see a house in it's true form (and might i add it looks great) than a showhouse that is vain and artificial.

You might , however you would offer more for one presented right. Weather you know it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

We've had a load of viewings, had someone view for a 2nd time on Monday she needed more time... Had someone ring for a viewing this morning, he viewed this afternoon and he made an offer on the spot. 4 weeks on the market tomorrow.(EA also said she got an email from some fella who never viewed or asked to view with an offer 30k below the asking price :):))

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Mitzy

I agree. I was selling a house last year & the estate agent would only do open viewings. He was arranging them in the area & would have another property to show about 30 minutes later so was effectively shepherding potential purchasers all around the place.

How can anyone view a property they want to spend a few hundred thousand in that time? I ended up switching to a different agent as a result.

I think if viewings are on appointment only you will be able to filter out people who are really interested in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Hi probably the wrong thread to put this in but sure.

My girlfriend and I are viewing a house on Monday, from the photos we really like it and hopefully when we view it, that won't change.

It's been up since mid-August I think and has dropped 15k since then. The vibe we are getting off the EA is that there isn't much interest in it and the sellers want a quick sale (separation issues :().

Would putting a bid in at the viewing be too keen?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

If you want it put a bid in. Being too keen playing it cool no real point . Pick a price your willing to pay and bid it

I think I would leave first and then ring back, but that is just me!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

If you want it put a bid in. Being too keen playing it cool no real point . Pick a price your willing to pay and bid it
    Lux23 wrote: »
    I think I would leave first and then ring back, but that is just me!

Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Mitzy wrote: »
    I agree. I was selling a house last year & the estate agent would only do open viewings.

How can anyone view a property they want to spend a few hundred thousand in that time? I ended up switching to a different agent as a result.

I think if viewings are on appointment only you will be able to filter out people who are really interested in the house.

I think ruling out open viewings is a mistake. I bought my house by exclusively doing open viewings. You're probably missing out on a large chunk of the market by not doing open viewings. For me, I wanted to be able to shop around without the commitment of arranging individual appointments. I would never arrange a private viewing without first having seen the place in an open viewing to be honest. Maybe it's different between city and country though.

Advertisement