Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Security & Revenue Protection

• 20-09-2020 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭

Luas have taken security in house and have trained them to act as Revenue Protection Officers in addition to security. It explains the LUAS Security branding rolled out earlier this year. The old RPU unit is still in operation but that could change but can't see them merging.

IMO its about time they have the doing inspections instead of them doing nothing all day.

Plenty of shocked faces when a ticket is requested from somebody not in an orange jacket :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Will they now be carrying Leap card reading equipment and issuing penalty fares or will it more be just telling people without a ticket/Leap card/FTP to vacate the tram. I've seen they have the security in house now but I thought it was probably just a temporary until a new contract was in place so I'm surprised with this move.

Would imagine the security would have a union agreement in place for this extra role and have been compensated by either a payrise or better t+cs. They are members of SIPTU I believe. I wonder will Irish Rail look at doing the same with their OCS security staff. I'm also guessing they will still carry PSA licences.

I know if I were Luas security I wouldn't be too happy at getting less money than RPU despite doing more work than them RPU+Security versus just RPU. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing Luas RPU staff are paid more than security assuming they are still on the same contracts they had when with STT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Aggressive gougers ignored and passed by

Office worker types who won't talk back demanded to show their ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

GT89 wrote: »
    Will they now be carrying Leap card reading equipment and issuing penalty fares or will it more be just telling people without a ticket/Leap card/FTP to vacate the tram. I've seen they have the security in house now but I thought it was probably just a temporary until a new contract was in place so I'm surprised with this move.

Would imagine the security would have a union agreement in place for this extra role and have been compensated by either a payrise or better t+cs. They are members of SIPTU I believe. I wonder will Irish Rail look at doing the same with their OCS security staff. I'm also guessing they will still carry PSA licences.

I know if I were Luas security I wouldn't be too happy at getting less money than RPU despite doing more work than them RPU+Security versus just RPU. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing Luas RPU staff are paid more than security assuming they are still on the same contracts they had when with STT.

They carry the leap reader and do the checks and can issue fines (not saw them do a fine but they had the notebook). Not all of them are doing it but that could be training not completed or Luas have selected a group to expand RPU team.

Can't comment on the new structure but would imagine they have gotten pay parity but becoming a direct employee probally has other benefits even if they are on a lower pay scale.

Might be changes coming to Irish Rail as well but not sure.

Have to wonder what drove the change the NTA or Luas felt the costs of contracting and potential revenue gain from increased checks made it worthwhile. Contract benefits if targets are exceeded??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,031 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Aggressive gougers ignored and passed by

Office worker types who won't talk back demanded to show their ticket

The red line in particular needs to be clensed, it's unsafe for anyone civilised to travel on, absolute disgrace that public transport has been stolen from the people in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,849 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The red line in particular needs to be clensed, it's unsafe for anyone civilised to travel on, absolute disgrace that public transport has been stolen from the people in this way.

Private security can't do that though. What's needed is the Gardaí or a proper transport Gardaí backed up by a court system that backs them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think someone posted an article a couple of months back that the Green line is now suffering from more anti social behaviour that the Red line. Not sure if that is related to opening of the extension to Broombridge or trouble at stops around Ballyogan but it seems both lines now are suffering from it.

Weren't the govt supposed to be introducing proper transport police? It is long overdue at this stage, there needs to be Garda visibility on public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Trams in general suffer from fare-dodging worldwide due to the walk in system.

Until they introduce biometic checking of people on their walk in and a security guard who simply removes you regardless of there being an "o" at the end of your name, this will always be a problem

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Trams in general suffer from fare-dodging worldwide due to the walk in system.

Until they introduce biometic checking of people on their walk in and a security guard who simply removes you regardless of there being an "o" at the end of your name, this will always be a problem

The walk in nature is good thing it makes the system easy to use for fare paying passengers. Quicker dwell times and no battling or queing trying to get through ticket barriers. Easy for elderly or disabled passengers too.

Look at Germany for example no ticket barriers in any of the train stations which is really good as there's no crushing though barriers like on the London Underground for example. Lot's of plain clothes ticket inspectors there too. In all my years of travelling on public transport in Dublin I have never come across a plain clothes ticket inspector. Although apparently they do exist on the Luas not sure about DB or Irish Rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,849 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

GT89 wrote: »
    The walk in nature is good thing it makes the system easy to use for fare paying passengers. Quicker dwell times and no battling or queing trying to get through ticket barriers. Easy for elderly or disabled passengers too.

Look at Germany for example no ticket barriers in any of the train stations which is really good as there's no crushing though barriers like on the London Underground for example. Lot's of plain clothes ticket inspectors there too. In all my years of travelling on public transport in Dublin I have never come across a plain clothes ticket inspector. Although apparently they do exist on the Luas not sure about DB or Irish Rail.

Got checked a few times by plain clothes checkers on the Luas. Tram pulled out from the stop and suddenly a few people stood up pulled out Luas badges and checked all the passengers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A colleague who realistically never forgot to tag on was got by plain clothes a few years ago. Ordered a taxsaver after paying the FPN that day. They've had them for years if not since the start, albeit obviously not as common as the uniformed checkers.

He would have been got by uniformed checkers anyway, as he thought he had tagged on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

L1011 wrote: »
    A colleague who realistically never forgot to tag on was got by plain clothes a few years ago. Ordered a taxsaver after paying the FPN that day. They've had them for years if not since the start, albeit obviously not as common as the uniformed checkers.

He would have been got by uniformed checkers anyway, as he thought he had tagged on.

If I remember correctly the plain clothing was part of a pay deal though not complusary for RPU staff to actually do. Its been a few years since I expierenced it and would almost says its not operation anymore.

______

Irish Rail appear to be in transition from OCS to Rail Security branding. I honestly cannot see IE adding them to the books so does anyone know if its just branding change or another third party company.

Advertisement