Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extreme Hypocrisy Within Feminist Movement?

• 03-02-2019 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Extreme Hypocrisy Within Feminist Movement?
    As many of you will be aware, western civilization has recently seen an up-rise of the feminist movement.
    Many of the feminist marches across the west have included protests involving oppression,mens rights events, LGBT rights and Donald Trump.

I find it bizarre that feminists in Ireland and UK will angrily protest and march against Trump and for women and LGBT rights but will stay silent and ignore on matters such as the treatment of women and LGBT's in African and Middle Eastern counties.
    LGBT's are literally killed or at best put in prison in many of these counties and unfortunately women in these Islamic countries (Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Morocco, Iran) are often treated worse than the average cat or dog would be treated over here.

Are the majority of feminists afraid of pressing these issues in fear of being called racist or are they simply just protesting against whatever is "popular" or "trendy" at the time of the protest?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Think that's a pretty big generalisation, any feminists I know are happy to be vocal about all of the above. But the reality is, overall you will protest what's closer to home as that's what you will have the most influence over. And it also more directly affects you.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

batgoat wrote: »
    Think that's a pretty big generalisation, any feminists I know are happy to be vocal about all of the above. But the reality is, overall you will protest what's closer to home as that's what you will have the most influence over. And it also more directly affects you.

I take your point but I dont believe Trump should be considered a "close to home" issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

I think they feel more hope when it comes to protesting against the western world's agenda. There is more of a connection there. It's like the middle east is a lost cause, whereas a protest against America could trigger some people to think differently about trump and vote differently next time. Remember there is a large irish community in America.The problem in the middle east goes way deeper and is less likely to change over time.

That, and also that you can't protest against everything in life. For example, the amount of inconsistent behaviours that groups have around the world, why are you only protesting about this one?! You're not exactly ignoring the other ones, you're just using your limited energy to comment on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

CPTM wrote: »

That, and also that you can't protest against everything in life. For example, the amount of inconsistent behaviours that groups have around the world, why are you only protesting about this one?! You're not exactly ignoring the other ones, you're just using your limited energy to comment on this one.

I have highlighted in the OP the fact that feminists do protest for women's rights, However it seems they solely protest for western women rights and are infact ignoring rights for women who fall outside of the west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

splashuum wrote: »
    I take your point but I dont believe Trump should be considered a "close to home" issue.

US policy and how their leadership is perceived influences the entire globe. And the US is far closer to home for Irish people. Eg much of my family are American. And this is the case for lots of Irish people. Also don't think problems with Donald Trump are limited to feminists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

splashuum wrote: »
    I have highlighted in the OP the fact that feminists do protest for women's rights, However it seems they solely protest for western women rights and are infact ignoring rights for women who fall outside of the west.

Honestly I don’t know any feminists who actively ignore those issues.

Equality is at the core of feminism obviously the work Irish feminists do is going to be more actively visible when working at local level- that’s largely how activism works.

There is also this issue of wanting to avoid “white savior” syndrome.

Also, You could basically use your argument for every single social issue.

Homelessness- why do irish homeless activists focus on Irish homelessness?

Disability- why do irish disability activists focus on irish disability issues?

Trying to discredit an entire social movement and make them out to be a selfish group is a straw man argument of the highest order frankly.

Advertisement