Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I know he's meant to be French in the show, not sure that ever worked.

It's Future French.

Presumably Europe is just a big giant continent-spanning eco-city at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,205 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

duffman13 wrote: »
    Really really looking forward to what they do with this. From the video he seems very hands on with the project which id hope means it'll be good.

Or he got paid a wheelbarrow full of cash

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Gbear wrote: »
    It's Future French.

Presumably Europe is just a big giant continent-spanning eco-city at this point.

Ah Britain invades and occupies France after Brexit talks fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Need to rewatch TNG, the movies and Xmen. Cause, Its Patrick Stewart.

Although im not sitting through his Shakespeare.

His Shakespeare roles are really good but my favorite part he ever played was King Richard in Robin Hood Men in Tights

His Shakespeare roles are really good but my favorite was King Richard in Robin Hood Men in Tights

Ahh I forgot about that!
    Must re-watch it, wonder if it holds up well.

Robin Hood:

I would like to apoint a new sheriff of Rottingham, my good friend, Ahchoo.

Wedding Guest: A black sheriff?!

Blinkin: He's black?!

Ahchoo: Why not? It worked in "Blazing Saddles".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Great, now if they can just keep identiy politics bull**** out of it ....

TomSweeney wrote: »

Captain Picard is now, Captain Patricia.

Actually, would the female form of Jean Luc be Jeanne?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

TomSweeney wrote: »

Whining about racial/gender/sexual/identity politics in a Star Trek show is hilariously redundant. It's STAR TREK. I look forward to there being LOTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Picard may be a changed man as Stewart mentioned due to his experiences over the last 20 years but that doesn't necessarily mean a negative thing. He could have found love and settled down or left Starfleet to pursue his interest in archaeology.

Personally, I don't like the idea of Picard becoming a bitter old man over the last 20 years. I don't think it would be fair to his character.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

He's gonna kill the role no matter how big or small it may be he is so good in anything he does. Hope he gets to torment Wil Wheaton one more time too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

He's gonna kill the role no matter how big or small it may be he is so good in anything he does. Hope he gets to torment Wil Wheaton one more time too.

Admiral Crusher: Jean-Luc, Starfleet requests that you join the Klingon ambas...
    Picard: Shut up Wesley!

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

This is fantastic news.

Please dont have that future beard!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I would say Picard will either be an Admiral, teaching at the academy or maybe have left Starfleet altogether to do other things maybe have a family and pursue his love of archaeology.

Others I would love to see appear in this at some stage and hopefully they do are Data maybe teaching in the academy, Myles O' Brien should be there too. That is where he went after the end of DS9 wasn't it. Never mind what I said about him in an earlier post. He would be teaching science and engineering maybe even advanced maths at the academy.

So what other cameo's would people here like to see appear on the show?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Him and crushers have turned into inter species swinger party hosts.

Wesley comes home to find mom in a compromising position with a Gorn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hopefully they'll involve some of the old writers, if just to get advice on how to write Picard whose character was very much the product of Roddenberry's vaguely defined utopian ideas. Piller died several years ago sadly, but RDM could at least offer some insights on how they saw the character. Picard was often written badly in the show itself never mind later when people like John Logan got involved. My fear is that this will end up feeling like fan fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

My fear is that this will end up feeling like fan fiction.

I'm delighted for the news but the above is my own fear.

Let's hope they focus on TNG Picard and not Movie-Era driving in a buggy Picard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd they managed to bring back OBrien and Bashir as best pals & part of the extended cast I'd be delighted. Their friendship was always a highpoint in any episode, effortless yet just the right side of a rivalry too to make it feel organic

Wait, all these old character pop-in thoughts are exactly what people give the books stink for

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, an endless stream of cameo appearances from all the regulars of the TNG-era shows will kill this. The only characters other than Picard that need to appear are the TNG bridge crew.

It's still not clear what this show is going to be. Will it be a once-off series or is it setting up a new crew with Picard as the torch-passer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

Him and crushers have turned into inter species swinger party hosts.

Wesley comes home to find mom in a compromising position with a Gorn

Make it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Wait, all these old character pop-in thoughts are exactly what people give the books stink for

The books would jam random characters together for no reason other than to have them interact. Having Kirk, Picard and Sisko on the Defiant bridge....

I am looking forward to the fan services we may get.

I don't want a cameo of the week type series but well written plots/stories involving the occasional TNG/DS9 character can be watchable.

How long will these actors be around for? :( This may be the last ever chance of something like this.

Picard is back. That's all that matters.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'd they managed to bring back OBrien and Bashir as best pals & part of the extended cast I'd be delighted. Their friendship was always a highpoint in any episode, effortless yet just the right side of a rivalry too to make it feel organic

Stop teasing me!!

Picard, O'Brien, Bashir......that be too awesome

IvySlayer wrote: »
    The books would jam random characters together for no reason other than to have them interact. Having Kirk, Picard and Sisko on the Defiant bridge....

I am looking forward to the fan services we may get.

I don't want a cameo of the week type series but well written plots/stories involving the occasional TNG/DS9 character can be watchable.

How long will these actors be around for? :( This may be the last ever chance of something like this.

It's the exact same thing as being proposed here. Everyone goes on how the Federation is huge so no way would any of them meet, yet on screen we expect it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

It's the exact same thing as being proposed here. Everyone goes on how the Federation is huge so no way would any of them meet, yet on screen we expect it
    It is big but they have communicators. If a retired Picard needed something he could call in a favour from Admiral Riker. If he's teaching at the Academy with O'Brien should they just ghost each other in the hallways?

Other cameos would make less sense. There's no reason for Picard to call on say Seven or Dax. Then again who knows what happened in the preceding 20 years? Sisko could even be alive again.

When articles say this "not a Star Trek: Next Generation reboot, [but] will tell the story of the next chapter of Picard’s life", what do they mean?

Does it just mean they aren't bringing back TNG as an ongoing series or that it will literally just be about Picard, perhaps in a completely different timeline a la Spock? Or is it just the case that they have only confirmed Stewart and don't want the rest of the cast putting up their prices because they think they need them?

Evade wrote: »
    It is big but they have communicators. If a retired Picard needed something he could call in a favour from Admiral Riker. If he's teaching at the Academy with O'Brien should they just ghost each other in the hallways?

Other cameos would make less sense. There's no reason for Picard to call on say Seven or Dax. Then again who knows what happened in the preceding 20 years? Sisko could even be alive again.

All the same as the circumstantial happenings in the books TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I think we're all just a bit excited of (the possibility) seeing the TNG/DS9/Voyager characters(s) being revisited.

No-one is suggesting we have a plot were Admiral Janeway is hosting a Voyager reunion party on DS9 and the TNG crew rejoined on the Enterprise who just happen to be docked there :P

What could be the main focus? Post-war rebuilding, a weaker Federation/Romulan Empire/Klingon Empire dealing with their issues, rebuilding Cardassia, a weaker Dominion, a possibly more xenophobic culture etc

• Advertisement

Evade wrote: »

EXACTLY

THERES SO MANY POSSIBILITIES!!!!!!

*i might be a little excited

Advertisement