Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Anyone still playing this?

Picked up the deluxe edition with season pass etc for €30 the other day, didn't want to pay full price for this one after being underwhelmed by the previous two games.

I'm about four hours in and so far it seems to be pretty much more of the same, which is... Fine I guess. Like its predecessors it's very beautiful but a little dull. Apologies for the crass analogy but if a blonde bimbo were a video game series, she would be this trilogy.

I'll wait till I finish this one before reserving full judgement on it anyway.

found it the worst of the 3 imo - mainly due to the repetition factor setting in as didn't add anything new over the first 2.

also the main town hub place (you will be at it or nearly at it by now) annoyed me. was fairly sick of it by the end.

still - there is sometimes a lot to be said for a competent linear game that looks great and doesn't outstay its welcome too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

About 70% tru couldnt be arsed finishing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Picked it up for the 30 myself last Friday, plugged a good few hours into it so far. As above, it's more of the same which is grand as I know what to expect and it's delivering on that. I know the town mentioned, and I can see myself getting sick of looking at it. No idea how far in I am, I feel like I'm reaching the end, but the lack of completion on my skills is telling me I have a bit to go yet. I'm
    just after finishing the missions with yer wan, the head of the rebellion

One thing I do notice, and I can't recall if the previous 2 were the same, but the animations are not smooth. For example, going from running to jumping off an edge it's like the animations are not linked. Same with grabbing ledges, or anything that involves going from 1 animation to another. It's very jarring. Maybe i'm just spoiled with other games doing this correctly, ie: God of War, HZD, TW3, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭jones

I got this on sale many months ago and just kind of forgot about it. I think i'm about 12 hours in so a good bit done but i know what others mean there's something "missing" about them compared to the uncharted series IMO. A little dull maybe which is odd when your talking about jungle adventures but anyway. I might go back and finish it at some point. i thought the first remake was the best of the bunch really the second and this seem to be a jack of all trades master of none kind of game very pretty but not much else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

First game was easily the best one. I like the setting in this one more than the second one and overall it's enjoyable. Two big issues for me though were lighting and as mentioned above, the jumpy animations. I found it took a lot of gone tuning to get a good balance between the jungle sections and the temple sections, a small adjustment would easily leave the jungle looking washed out or the temples too dark to see anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Yup, I'm done with this now. Can't bring myself to finish it, it's just too bloody dull. Games are supposed to be fun but this is just a chore to play after a certain point. Not sure how much farther I have to go in the story but just can't be moved to care. Done with this series now.

I'm the same, I've gotten bored of it, and checking missions lists, I'm only half way through, don't think I'll be able to finish this. If it's not finished by the 23rd, it's not going to be finished!

As you said, this middle section got dull very quick. Tomb Raider is not an open world game where you interact with people, it's a mass murder ancient-tomb-destroying funfest, and I reckon this is why it's falling flat. Semi-open is fine, the first 2 games proved that, but this interacting with people lark is not fun in TR.

Go back and give us levels like the old TR games!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Go back and give us levels like the old TR games!

I'd love a TR Anniversary... Anniversary :) TR 1 and TR 2 memories are cemented in my brain which i don't think we'll ever be replicated in new games. Too many checklists, openworld, Uncharted-esque action sequences but none of the magic of the originals.

Oh aye, I'll never forget the T-Rex in TR1, or the Venice level in 2. Such good memories!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Never played them didn't have a console back then. I bought them about 3 years ago on PC but they had aged terrible plus the controller support on PC was terrible so never bothered to play them apart from trying to set them up.

Oh they were definitely a game of their time and, as you said, have aged terribly. They remastered the first one not too long ago, Tomb Raider Anniversary. Pretty good remake too, they basically copied the original using the new 'Legend' engine to make it look prettier and play better, and expanded on the music and some narrative. I enjoyed it, and I was hoping for a TR2 remake after it. To fly around Venice again in modern graphics would be lovely.

I played the anniversary TR on the X360, didn't know it was a direct copy of the first.

Yeah, they changed up some of the looks a bit and removed some traps/elements, but it was a remake, same story, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Oh aye, I'll never forget the T-Rex in TR1, or the Venice level in 2. Such good memories!

The speedboat chase at the end of the venice level was so frustrating if you didnt time it right

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

TR1is an absolute classic. I've seen people say it hasn't aged well, what has? At the time it was huge, was blown away from the get go. Walking into the cave, the sounds, the bats and jumping

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I'm not sure what version I got, but it has everything in it already. Granted, maybe that has everything on one file, as I had to download about 20 different DLC's for it.

Either way, that's a lot of content I probably won't play. But that video has given me a slight want to go back and finish it, some scenes in there looked good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭jones

I'm about 70% through this and for whatever reason never finished it on the pro was playing in 1080p.

In the mean time i got a new 4k HDR tv and was going to go back and finish it but i'm confused in the graphics options it says the enhanced graphics are under the performance mode and not resolution mode? Cant really tell the difference in the modes to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

gimli2112 wrote: »
    TR1is an absolute classic. I've seen people say it hasn't aged well, what has? At the time it was huge, was blown away from the get go. Walking into the cave, the sounds, the bats and jumping

It has aged terribly though. Both from a visual standpoint and a control scheme one.

I'm not ragging on Tomb Raider as a series but early 3d games on the playstation HAVE aged horribly. Even ignoring the visuals, controlling Lara is like trying to wrestle with a drunk russian tank. A 3d game built without a control stick in mind was never going to fare well by modern standards.

Yoshi's Island came out a year before Tomb Raider and still looks beautiful. Mario 64 came out the same year as tombraider. It was also an early 3d game and controls flawlessly even by todays standards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Kirby wrote: »
    It has aged terribly though. Both from a visual standpoint and a control scheme one.

I'm not ragging on Tomb Raider as a series but early 3d games on the playstation HAVE aged horribly. Even ignoring the visuals, controlling Lara is like trying to wrestle with a drunk russian tank. A 3d game built without a control stick in mind was never going to fare well by modern standards.

Yoshi's Island came out a year before Tomb Raider and still looks beautiful. Mario 64 came out the same year as tombraider. It was also an early 3d game and controls flawlessly even by todays standards.

And yet if you asked me to fire up one of those today I'd choose TR1. Some games just have that special charm.

Rob2D wrote: »
    And yet if you asked me to fire up one of those today I'd choose TR1. Some games just have that special charm.

I'd be the opposite I'd prefer Mario 64 or Yoshi's Island mainly due to never actually playing Tomb Raider back then. Tried to play it a few years ago but as mentioned above it has aged terrible where as those two just mentioned still look and play good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I'd be the opposite I'd prefer Mario 64 or Yoshi's Island mainly due to never actually playing Tomb Raider back then. Tried to play it a few years ago but as mentioned above it has aged terrible where as those two just mentioned still look and play good.

Well the likes of Mario 64 and Yoshi's Island, have a more stylized visual look which helps with regard to how aged they look. The original Tomb Raider was trying to be state of the art graphic wise which is always a losing battle in the long run.

Plus, you can replay TR1 with 'modern' graphics and controls, via Tomb Raider Anniversary, which is TR1 but with more content.

Still haven't finished this one though. Every time I try to go back, I end up getting bored quite quickly and moving on. Something missing from it.

Plus, you can replay TR1 with 'modern' graphics and controls, via Tomb Raider Anniversary, which is TR1 but with more content.

Still haven't finished this one though. Every time I try to go back, I end up getting bored quite quickly and moving on. Something missing from it.

ehm, what?
    I feel like a dog who has just heard the rustle of a crisp packet

Tomb Raider Anniversary

It actually came out longer ago than I thought, 2007. Had a quick look and still looks pretty playable.

If I understood you correctly

I youtubed, got my credit card and went to the PS Store. Was so happu. It wasn't there

• Registered Users Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I youtubed, got my credit card and went to the PS Store. Was so happu. It wasn't there

Yupp, ps3 iirc. Would love a ps4 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Lads if you want to play the original tomb raiders download them on steam and play on the pc. Much better experience than the console as the controls are more fluid and graphics upscaled. If you have a pc that is!

• Advertisement
Advertisement